Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal V Bayern Munich

• 12-02-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

6dy1s0.jpg

Facts and figures ahead of the Champions League last 16, first leg match between Arsenal and Bayern Munich at Emirates Stadium.

-Arsenal and Bayern Munich have met four times before in the Champions League, with the Bavarians winning twice, Arsenal one and the other being a draw.

-Their last encounter dates back to the 2004/05 Champions League last 16 when Bayern won 3-2 on aggregate.

-Arsenal have won six of their last seven home Champions League games against German opposition, the only defeat coming against Schalke in this season’s group stages.

-Arsenal have only lost two of their 17 knockout games at home in the Champions League (v Chelsea in April 2004 & v Manchester Utd in May 2009).

-Bayern Munich have lost on each of their last four trips to England in the Champions League. The Bavarians’ last win in England dates back to April 2001 at Old Trafford in the Champions League quarter-finals.

-Bayern Munich have scored in each of their last 12 Champions League games, the last team to stop them from netting being Basel in February 2012.

-Arsenal had the fewest shots in this season’s group stages among the 16 teams qualified for the knockout phase (47). However, they were the most efficient, scoring every 4.7 shots.

-Bayern Munich conceded the fewest shots on target in the group stages (17).

-Bayern Munich had more shots on target from outside the box than any other team in the group stages (17).

-Bayern Munich had the most goalscorers in this season’s group stages (9).

-Olivier Giroud has delivered four assists in the group stages of the Champions League this season, only Ibrahimovic has more (5).

-Lukas Podolski has scored three goals from three shots on target in the Champions League this season.

-Mario Gomez has scored 25 goals in 26 Champions League starts.

Cant wait for this tonight lads, I think a clean sheet is imperative if we are to cause an upset and go through to the quarter finals. I'll go with 1-0 win for us with Walcott the scorer :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

This isnt on tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

...Isn't this next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Sorry to break the bad news to you but this match is on Tue 19 Feb and not tonight.

30.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

BOLLOCKS NO WAY :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Gringo180 wrote: »
    BOLLOCKS NO WAY :o:(

Afraid so, but hey as a Gunners fan you must be used to your team not turning up :pac:

*runs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Afraid so, but hey as a Gunners fan you must be used to your team not turning up :pac:

*runs*

Even though im a gooner myself i laughed at your post very good :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'll open this up next Monday, a small bit early for a match thread. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Re-opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Im actually dreading this game now after the weekends result, what a difference a week can make.

Going to go 2-1 Bayern :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I hope Arsenal win this tie.

Can't see it on current form though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Bayern comfortably for me, argubly the best side in europe this year along with barca obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I fear Arsenal may be in for a proper hiding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Hard to know what you will get with this Arsenal side.

Bayern playing at higher level every week.

Result : 4:1 Bayern over 2 legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Id expect Bayern to thump Arsenal over the two legs, 3-0 to Bayern 2moro night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Can anyone give me a good reason not to lump on Bayern at 11/10? That's a fantastic price for a team in such great form, especially their away form, combined with Arsenal being less than convincing lately.

It's always a danger given it's the away leg, and a score draw would do Bayern fine as I fancy them to win the home leg anyway, but it's a worth a good bet I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bayern to win over 2 legs, but not tomorrow night and with nowhere the ease people on here are suggesting.

People on here are as bad for underestimating English football as a rule, as the British media are at overestimating it.

shrewdness wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a good reason not to lump on Bayern at 11/10? That's a fantastic price for a team in such great form, especially their away form, combined with Arsenal being less than convincing lately.

It's always a danger given it's the away leg, and a score draw would do Bayern fine as I fancy them to win the home leg anyway, but it's a worth a good bet I reckon.
    I think Arsenal at 5/2 is where the value is, but ill probably leave this one alone bettingwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

One other reason may be that they haven't been as convincing in the CL as in the league this season. Conceding 7 in the group stages, same as throughout the league so far.

Also you never know which Arsenal will show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

If Walcott shows up then this could be tight but in comparison to last year Bayern's options from the bench are stacked. Maybe they will have their guard down after the relative ease of their Bundesliga trouncings in recent weeks but no matter what happens tomorrow I can't see Bayern being knocked out.

• Advertisement

One other reason may be that they haven't been as convincing in the CL as in the league this season. Conceding 7 in the group stages, same as throughout the league so far.

Also you never know which Arsenal will show up.

Very true, it would be just like Arsenal after getting beaten by Blackburn to turn up a different team and get a great result.

I did check up on Bayern's CL form there alright, not as good as the league, but their form has been exceptional since the winter break so maybe they can keep that going. Still think they'll go through over the two legs but might just think twice about putting much on them tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

3 nil to Ze Germans

Arsenal not at the races all season and tomorrow night is going to be a beating.

Roll on the summer

3 nil to Ze Germans

Arsenal not at the races all season and tomorrow night is going to be a beating.

Roll on the summer
    Arsenal aren't losing 3 nil at home to the likes of Man United, City and Chelsea. Why suddenly now?

CSF wrote: »
    Arsenal aren't losing 3 nil at home to the likes of Man United, City and Chelsea. Why suddenly now?

Bayern Munich are better than all those sides.

Bayern Munich are better than all those sides.
    The same Bayern Munich who haven't won a trophy of significance in an undoubtedly weaker (yet undoubtedly more entertaining) league since 2010? Not having that. They've had a really good season and have lots of good players and some outstanding ones, but I think people are going overboard here.

2010, 2011... are in the past. They were hardly poor sides either.

2012 side are champions elect.

The past is of course relevant, when its mostly the same bunch with some admittedly very good (but hardly world class) additions. The 2012 side are champions elect, but man for man they wouldn't have the same quality as Man City, and with what Ferguson has done with Man United with a weaker bunch of players I think I'd have United too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'm backing Arsenal for this one, a win at the Emirates, 3 goals to 2 and a 0-0 draw at Allainz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

they've added martinez to their squad that lost to chelsea in the final, what makes you think they're better than all the teams you've listed, do you normally just talk out your arse?

real madrid were meant to hand united's arse to them, look how that turned out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ze Germans will park their tanks on the Emirates front lawn. Assuming they play a full strength side and look to win the tie with the away leg.

Bayern last lost a game on 28 of October, they have lost two games in all competition this season and the BATE match can probably be written off "as one of those games" being the first away game in the CL.

they've added martinez to their squad that lost to chelsea in the final, what makes you think they're better than all the teams you've listed, do you normally just talk out your arse?

real madrid were meant to hand united's arse to them, look how that turned out.
    Mandzukic too, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Narrow win for Arsenal tomorrow nite - they should come out all guns blazing after loosing to Blackburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mandzukic too, to be fair.

And xherdan shaqiri

They've brought in Dante aswell, he's been very good from what I've seen. Claudio Pizarro rejoined them too.

Add in Martinez, Mandzukic and Shaqiri and they've made a decent improvement on the squad if you ask me.

They've brought in Dante aswell, he's been very good from what I've seen. Claudio Pizarro rejoined them too.

Add in Martinez, Mandzukic and Shaqiri and they've made a decent improvement on the squad if you ask me.
    Agreed, I still think they're a tiny bit behind the 2 Manchester clubs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

This game will be over after the 1st Leg, not going to be pretty for Arsenal fans. Ze Germans are one serious machine this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

they are certainly ahead of City....Dortmund outplayed city in 2 group games earlier this season and Bayern are a long way ahead of them in the bundesliga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Both teams to score for me!

markie29 wrote: »
    they are certainly ahead of City....Dortmund outplayed city in 2 group games earlier this season and Bayern are a long way ahead of them in the bundesliga.
    And Chelsea beat Bayern, and City are comfortably ahead of them in the Premiership. See, I can use stupid logic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

And Chelsea beat Bayern, and City are comfortably ahead of them in the Premiership. See, I can use stupid logic too.

well played sir...but Bayern are a much improved team this year.

• Advertisement

markie29 wrote: »
    well played sir...but Bayern are a much improved team this year.
    Course they are, but that wouldn't be hard because domestically they weren't much use at all last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

mike65 wrote: »
    Ze Germans will park their tanks on the Emirates front lawn. Assuming they play a full strength side and look to win the tie with the away leg.

Bayern last lost a game on 28 of October, they have lost two games in all competition this season and the BATE match can probably be written off "as one of those games" being the first away game in the CL.

What? :confused: You actually think there is a chance that Bayern Munich will rest players for a champions league knockout phase match? FFS.

Unfortunately I cant see Arsenal going through over the two legs, but I dont think its going to be a walk in the park like a few people have been suggesting.

Mandzukic tends to play away from home and Gomes in the home games.

Will this be the case tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Arsenal to win narrowly tomorrow. Too narrowly to have a chance of going through though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I said the other day that knowing this Arsenal team, they would probably lose to Blackburn and beat Bayern. Stand by that, 2-1 to the Gunners.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Arsenal to get a result. Give fans hope. Bayern to crush them at the Allianz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Arsenal will give them a good game. They always seem to do well in these big games. Expect Bayern to go through with their superior players but it will be close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Really? This Bayern team are probably the second best team in Europe right now, IMO. They're without doubt ahead of City. Having said that, they won't be as comfortable against Arsenal as people are suggesting. I fancy them to draw tonight and win at home, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If i was putting money on it i'd go 2-1 to Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Apart from a belief in the "the best league in the world"tm I can't see where the optimism is coming from. BM are storming their own league, have let in a miserly amount of goals, have scored in their last 8 matches or so. They are on form, have shown their class in last years CL and kept in running into this one.

What have Arsenal shown? They lack any real forward power, their midfield, apart from JW, is weak and the defence is leaky to say the least. Goal keeper is also prown t mistakes. It's not like they have been tearing up teams and have just struggled with the lower end. I think Arsenal are a decent team, not as bad as made out in some parts, but unlike City I believe they are actually playing pretty close to their potential. I just can't see where this suppossed 'great' display is going to come from.

Even putting aside the cup defeats, they can happen to anyone, their league form has been 'meh' at best. Nothing to suggest they can suddenly spark into life. Watching them I don't get a sense of players out of form, I just think the players aren't really that good. Many teams are built around an individual. Messi & Barca, Ronaldo & RM, Suarez & Liverpool, now RVP & Man Utd. It seems Arsenal are currently planing their faith on Walcott, I think that says it all. Capable enough but never going to be world class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement