Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML to PDF

Options
  • 12-02-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Guys, apologies if in the wrong section.

I have a html CV on my laptop with some css and some images in it (mostly border images.

I had a programme that could convert it to PDF before but I have a new laptop now, have just downloaded coutless html to pdf programmes and none of them worked. They either printed a logo on the CV or else got the format messed up.

Does anyone know of any simple ones to use. I just want to see my html CV in PDF format.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Guys, apologies if in the wrong section.

I have a html CV on my laptop with some css and some images in it (mostly border images.

I had a programme that could convert it to PDF before but I have a new laptop now, have just downloaded coutless html to pdf programmes and none of them worked. They either printed a logo on the CV or else got the format messed up.

Does anyone know of any simple ones to use. I just want to see my html CV in PDF format.

Thanks.

http://www.pdfonfly.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If conversion fails then install a PDF printer. I use PDFCreator, open the CV in a browser and print it.

Note the latest version of PDFCreator seems to come with a lot of bloat just don't install the bloat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

If all else fail just to a PrintScreen & save in Paint or the like.
    Upload it to Zamzar.com to convert to PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

efc67 wrote: »

Unfortunatly, that doesnt seem to allow me to uploa files. My html CV isnt online, its on a folder on my laptop so I'd need a program or a website that would allow me to upload a folder. There is an index.html and a CSS file, a JS file and some images.
    FSL wrote: »
    If conversion fails then install a PDF printer. I use PDFCreator, open the CV in a browser and print it.

Note the latest version of PDFCreator seems to come with a lot of bloat just don't install the bloat.

The only thing is I need a soft copy for e-mailing the CV.
    Rabidlamb wrote: »
    If all else fail just to a PrintScreen & save in Paint or the like.
    Upload it to Zamzar.com to convert to PDF.

I might try that as a last resort. The main thing annoying me is I downloaded a program I cant remember the name of which worked for me before with zero hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I use PrimoPDF. I can save the file as a PDF or I can print directly from the browser like PDFCreator.

• Advertisement

When you print to a PDFPrinter it produces PDF file. which is what would appear on the printer but it is a PDF file which can be emailed, or printed on a normal printer.

I do it all the time to send invoices/statements to customers who don't want hard copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

openoffice.org might work its an open source clone or MS office.

But yes the printing to a pdf file should work too.

Ah I get what you guys are saying about printing to PDF now!

For some annoying reason, when I try do it, its printing out with all the CSS and JS formatting gone and printing with no style, like a plain word document.

The thing is, its working fine when I try print out any other webpage actually live on the internet but as my webpage is on my hard drive, it doesnt seem to want to work. Its driving me insane now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If all fails, you can always get some screen capture software with support for scrolling pages (e.g. Faststone Capture, last free version here), make a screenshot of your "CV in HTML" and then print the image as PDF. Downside: image PDFs are bigger in size and usually not searchable.

Does the CV render OK in your browser. Have you tried an alternative browser.

• Advertisement

FSL wrote: »
    Does the CV render OK in your browser. Have you tried an alternative browser.

It renders perfect in the browser! Looks great.

I managed to get in 90% there following Torqay's advice. It opens in the screen capture software good but I then print to adobe acrobat and it looses some sharpness in translation but not too bad I suppose.

Its so frustrating that my old crappy desktop downstairs had zero trouble doing it, if only I could remember the programs name!

Thanks all.

Advertisement