Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skinners15kg bag too big...alternatives?

• 12-02-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Just coming to the end of a 15kg bag of skinners dry food - 3 months since I got it. Anyone know if this stuff can go stale? Our dog was loving it at the start but started to go off it after the new year and we thought maybe it was starting to go stale or she just had enough of it!
    Can skinners be got in smaller bags? or can anyone suggest a good alternative that could be got in smaller quantities like 7kg?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Hey fifib,

My auntie and my brother both have this problem with the 15kg bags as both their dogs are small. What I do for them is divide the bag in two and put half the contents into another empty dog food bag and cable-tie it very tightly. Then they don't need to open that until they've gone through half the bag. I think that must help to keep the food fresher for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

One of those big plastic containers with the airtight lids would work too. Ive seen some with dog food brands on them so they must be available in pet stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

i get over 2 months from my bag and have one of the plastic bins from the pet shop that the food goes straight into..

If you ask in your local pet shop they may have promotional ones lying about in the store!

otherwise get a black bin that has a lid prefably with fastners. that would do the job ok

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Can't say I've had that problem with Skinners. The Field & Trial maintenance lasts 3mths for one dog and no issues. I transfer it into a bin.

The crunchy lasts 2mths with the pup and no issues so far although I did just recently open a new bag & she's been less enthusiastic the past few days. It's nowhere near the best before date so can't be stale. Possibly it may be too crunchy & she's just being slower to eat. Also might need to get her teeth checked. But she's chewing her toys fine so wouldn't think it's that. Or she's just having a few off days. Can't say I'd be bothered ordering 7kg bags, would drive me nuts ordering so frequently! Some Skinners come in smaller 'travel size' bags but not all.

Advertisement