Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant - Idiot dog owners

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Mod note: Doom red-carded for ignoring my instruction above.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread,
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Here....

Control of Dogs Act, 1986

22.—(1) Where—

(a) on a complaint being made to the District Court by any interested person that a dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control, or

(b) on the conviction of any person for an offence under section 9 (2) of this Act,

it appears to the Court that the dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control, the Court may, in addition to any other penalty which it may impose, order that the dog be kept under proper control or be destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Doom wrote: »

What does the Act of 1986 require of the owner of a dog in relation to keeping control over the same?
    According to Section 9(1) unless a dog is in the premises of an owner or “such other person in charge” or in the
    premises of a person where the consent of that person has been given, a dog shall not be in any other place unless
    such owner or other persons in charge of the dog “accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control.”

ShaSha, it wasn't directed at you at all;)

Was wondering there for a second, had to re-read my post :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Here....

Control of Dogs Act, 1986

22.—(1) Where—

(a) on a complaint being made to the District Court by any interested person that a dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control, or

(b) on the conviction of any person for an offence under section 9 (2) of this Act,

it appears to the Court that the dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control, the Court may, in addition to any other penalty which it may impose, order that the dog be kept under proper control or be destroyed.

The complaint has to be made, the court has to uphold the complaint and deem the dog dangerous for that to be a viable law. Otherwise any dog or 6 dogs in this case just have to be under effectual control. And nowhere does that state that that your average person out on the beach walking their dog(s) have to have them leashed unless there is a specific bye law in place (such as in Dunlaoire/Rathdown)

The complaint has to be made, the court has to uphold the complaint and deem the dog dangerous for that to be a viable law. Otherwise any dog or 6 dogs in this case just have to be under effectual control. And nowhere does that state that that your average person out on the beach walking their dog(s) have to have them leashed unless there is a specific bye law in place (such as in Dunlaoire/Rathdown)

That's fine, if I saw a woman with six leashed dogs and another woman with one unleashed dog and they all kicked off attacking each other, I would report both sides, one for not controlling her one dog and the other for not been able to keep six dogs under her control.....simple isn't it ;)

No need for any bye-laws....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

It just goes to show how thireads can go when you go out for a few hours :eek:
    but what about you having six dogs....if they did attack this dog, could you control them all, I doubt it.... I think you are a bit of idiot having six dogs out at once too.
    .......... you for thinking you can manage six dogs by yourself, or 'pack of dogs' in your own words.

I'm not even sure where to begin with this one! I'm perfectly entitled to have 6 dogs if I want to, and legally I'm allowed have 6 dogs if I want to. So you can quote all the passages of the Dog Control act at me you want but having 6 dogs does not automatically make them dangerous.

As to having control over them if they wanted to attack another dog?? Yes I have control of them. On several occasions I've stopped them chasing wild animals in the fields, and on at least 2 occasions I've told them to drop and back off from the cat they had caught in my garden, and believe me when that was the last thing they wanted to do having their blood up from the chase and catching of the poor cat (cat was fine both times by the way). Where I walk my dogs is regularly used by the 3 local stable yards to exercise their horses and not once have I had an issue with my dogs and the horses. Not that I should have to justify to anyone the level of control I have over my dogs but anyway.

That's fine, if I saw a woman with six leashed dogs and another woman with one unleashed dog and they all kicked off attacking each other, I would report both sides, one for not controlling her one dog and the other for not been able to keep six dogs under her control.....simple isn't it ;)

No need for any bye-laws....

I love the way you're going straight for everyone attacking each other :rolleyes:

You would if they had gotten into a scrap...
    As a matter of interest are you registered with your local authority, by law you should if you have more than 5 dogs, and of course a responsible owner.

I love the way you're going straight for everyone attacking each other :rolleyes:

I think if you read his posts TMD, he would only report if a woman with an unleashed dog and a woman with 6 dogs on a leash attacked each other. Sure don't you know men can control dogs with their sheer strength....:rolleyes:

As a matter of interest are you registered with your local authority, by law you should if you have more than 5 dogs, and of course a responsible owner.

My dogs aren't guard dogs so I don't have to register with my local authority

• Advertisement

My dogs aren't guard dogs so I don't have to register with my local authority

Yes you do, read back throughout the posts and of course the relevant act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

The law is for people who keep a guard dog or five or more dogs on a premises. Not residence. They're not the same thing. You have to tell the local authorities if you are keeping dogs on your premises (business/commercial) but not if you have them in your residence (home/personal)

I think if you read his posts TMD, he would only report if a woman with an unleashed dog and a woman with 6 dogs on a leash attacked each other. Sure don't you know men can control dogs with their sheer strength....:rolleyes:

Of course when you're losing a debate, stoop to trying the old sexist argument :rolleyes:

Good night everyone, I did enjoy this.....erm....ah.....debate...

No you don't. And I have read the relevant act, it's specific about guard dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

mite be a bit off topic but I walk my two dogs on the beach close to where I live, and sometimes in the local park, I normally walk them off lead in fact I rarely put leads on them, they're obedient on call- and I've noticed that other walkers do the same, the behaviour of all of the dogs off leash is completely different. they're more placid, even the pomeranian. the only time I got nervous was when a staffy appeared with its owner- off leash, i started to sweat but both dogs were great..usually when dogs appear on leashes the barking and pulling starts, and its the dogs on the leashes that do it..and not because my two are up in their faces either.. is it something to do with them feeling trapped on a leash?

Would you ever read the act yourself? You're quoting one particular section to suit your argument without looking at the context.

That particular section deals with dogs on a premises ie used as a business, ie a kennels, breeders, trainers etc. That's why they need to be registered with the local authority, for business purposes, not for an owner who has more than five dogs for their own personal use.

Of course when you're losing a debate, stoop to trying the old sexist argument :rolleyes:

Good night everyone, I did enjoy this.....erm....ah.....debate...

Your words, you said yourself you would report a woman.

Here's a little bit of knowledge for you to take away from tonight - dogs respond better to vocal commands from women. The higher pitch of a female voice compared to the lower tone of a mans gets a better response from a dog. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Here's a little bit of knowledge for you to take away from tonight - dogs respond better to vocal commands from women. The higher pitch of a female voice compared to the lower tone of a mans gets a better response from a dog. ;)

Haha this normally puts men into shock.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Really? My pair certainly take more notice of me than of Mr. Kylith, but I always put that down to me using a Mammy Voice and him using a Best Friend voice.

kylith wrote: »
    Really? My pair certainly take more notice of me than of Mr. Kylith, but I always put that down to me using a Mammy Voice and him using a Best Friend voice.

Yep, Alison Bush of Happier Hounds told me when I was on one of her courses. It's almost like the lower pitch is associated with a lower tone which dogs can associate with being in trouble. Using a high pitched voice will get your dog exited that something good could be happening.

When I'm calling my dogs when they're running off leash I don't shout, instead I make a high pitched 'whoohoo' noise that they respond to immediately. If I shout or yell they might think they're in trouble. (apart from it being completely unladylike :p) If they can't hear me because of wind/distance I use the whistle instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

yeah, loud 2 finger in mouth whistle works for mine as well. Even when they are stuck with their noses down some muck hole or another lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Much admiration to anyone walking six dogs at once. When I was much younger I used to help my neighbour walk their Greyhounds sometimes 4-5 at a time and it wasn't easy especially as they were racing dogs and there was many cats on the walk LOL.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Much admiration to anyone walking six dogs at once. When I was much younger I used to help my neighbour walk their Greyhounds sometimes 4-5 at a time and it wasn't easy especially as they were racing dogs and there was many cats on the walk LOL.

>grin< biggest problem I have with my 6 is my blind collie..he keeps bumping into me.Mine are really good off lead, but if there are other dogs coming, i tend to put my topdog on the lead - the rest will stick close bye and won't leave my side.Non of them is dog aggressive and all will walk away from yappy little f****.I think they find them scary.
    Currently I've ended up in the very lucky position to owning 30 acres of land on which I usually exercise them now, with only the odd trip to the beach...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

This is a subject close to my heart, its not only small dogs out of control.
    My little man, while on lead got attacked by 2 off lead large dogs late last year, they tore at him like he was a toy, heart breaking, I managed kick them off him, and got nipped myself, The owner did nothing but call to them and curse at them, and walked off over the downs, it was just us at the beach and I was so frightened as there was barely a move out of him. I got him up in my arms and back to car and into vets, he was in shock as was I, he needed stitches and had lots of smaller bites,
    it took him weeks to recover, and now gets in a terrible state if other dogs gets to close, I just wish people would understand that there's often a reason why when a owner asks to not let other dogs to close to there own, and if off lead then to teach them not to boil over to dogs on or off lead, sorry rant over,
    this is little man that night.

F320C0268C63422C832EE25E766078A4-0000360696-0003160662-00500L-00D8C556891E40068FBD4F90A2326788.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Can anyone tell me where I'd stand legally if one of these out of control dogs got injured when annoying my dog?

It's came close once or twice and if its a tiny dog he'd nearly be able to put it in his mouth whole.

I'm not muzzling him because 1. It's not my problem 2. Legally he doesn't have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Yep, Alison Bush of Happier Hounds told me when I was on one of her courses. It's almost like the lower pitch is associated with a lower tone which dogs can associate with being in trouble. Using a high pitched voice will get your dog exited that something good could be happening.

When I'm calling my dogs when they're running off leash I don't shout, instead I make a high pitched 'whoohoo' noise that they respond to immediately. If I shout or yell they might think they're in trouble. (apart from it being completely unladylike :p) If they can't hear me because of wind/distance I use the whistle instead.

That would make me think the female voice is associated with excitement and the male voice associated with calmness. I know which one Id rather my dogs respond to! Luckily they do and half the time totally ignore the OH. I have thought my little furry minions well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

sdp wrote: »
    This is a subject close to my heart, its not only small dogs out of control.
    My little man, while on lead got attacked by 2 off lead large dogs late last year, they tore at him like he was a toy, heart breaking, I managed kick them off him, and got nipped myself, The owner did nothing but call to them and curse at them, and walked off over the downs, it was just us at the beach and I was so frightened as there was barely a move out of him. I got him up in my arms and back to car and into vets, he was in shock as was I, he needed stitches and had lots of smaller bites,
    it took him weeks to recover, and now gets in a terrible state if other dogs gets to close, I just wish people would understand that there's often a reason why when a owner asks to not let other dogs to close to there own, and if off lead then to teach them not to boil over to dogs on or off lead, sorry rant over,
    this is little man that night.

F320C0268C63422C832EE25E766078A4-0000360696-0003160662-00500L-00D8C556891E40068FBD4F90A2326788.jpg

Thats horrific. People need to cop on and realise what improperly trained dogs can do off lead. Recently heard of a samoyed being attacked by 2 pits and being fairly torn apart. Thats nothing against RBs or bull breeds, just happened to be pits in this instance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ive had it a few times when walking my boxer and staffie(who i refuse to muzzle). I was told to control my "monsters" because the staffie reacted to a little JRT yapping and barking in her face, she barked at the JRT who then ran away and the daft old bint gave out to me!!

On another occasion when at a local lake with the boxer (on lead) we had 2 JRTs (off lead) come running over to her and start growling, barking and nipping at her. She didnt react, mainly because she is too stupid like all boxers, one of the JRTs jumped up and latched on to her cheek and start swinging off her. The owner then came over and GAVE OUT TO ME for having my boxer on a lead because it infuriates his dogs.

Honestly, some people are too fúcking stupid to function, let alone own a dog.

Can anyone tell me where I'd stand legally if one of these out of control dogs got injured when annoying my dog?

It's came close once or twice and if its a tiny dog he'd nearly be able to put it in his mouth whole.

I'm not muzzling him because 1. It's not my problem 2. Legally he doesn't have to be.

It's fairly straight forward. your dog is under control, the offending dog isn't. Case over. That's the legal side anyway - question is, what the judge would believe. this country unfortunately favors the tiny little dogs cause they aren't viewed as dangerous. As long as the general public hasn't learned that every breed can bite and kill (see case of baby infant killed by the family's JRT) it will be hard to proof in court that your dog didn't initiate the fight but only defending her/himself. As owner of a big dog, you loose more often than you win.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Melion wrote: »
    Ive had it a few times when walking my boxer and staffie(who i refuse to muzzle). I was told to control my "monsters" because the staffie reacted to a little JRT yapping and barking in her face, she barked at the JRT who then ran away and the daft old bint gave out to me!!

On another occasion when at a local lake with the boxer (on lead) we had 2 JRTs (off lead) come running over to her and start growling, barking and nipping at her. She didnt react, mainly because she is too stupid like all boxers, one of the JRTs jumped up and latched on to her cheek and start swinging off her. The owner then came over and GAVE OUT TO ME for having my boxer on a lead because it infuriates his dogs.

Honestly, some people are too fúcking stupid to function, let alone own a dog.

That's a good one really, how dare you have your dog on an actual lead? Are you crazy? Don't you know it infuriates my dogs?! I think that would have just stunned me into silence (a rare occurence), it would be funny if it wasn't so dumb!

Advertisement