Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant - Idiot dog owners

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I don't agree with you at all
    First thing is you said that days like today you were tempted to let your dogs attack her single dog
    If that's the case and your thoughts about dogs you shouldn't be allowed to have a dog never mind 6 of them
    Also if your walking down the beach with all six of your dogs why should another person be forced to move out of your way just because you have six dogs
    I've had run ins with people like you before that think because they have more than 3 dogs that you have the right away And everyone else has to move aside
    I never have moved out of the way because I would feel bullied and i have an American Akita ( all 10half stone of him) and the looks I've gotten from not moving out of the way is ridiculous as if because you've more dogs than me I should move aside
    Not a chance
    If its such a big problem then I think you should find a new home for them dogs and stop thinking you've more rights because you've more dogs

Have you even read the OP? Toomany says they try to keep out of the way of other people, not the opposite.

Im the same. I own two rotties and to be honest, even though mine are great with other dogs, i always try to avoid confrontation with strange dogs, so if i can i will cross the road if theres not enough room for me and my dogs and other people coming towards me with dogs. Same on a beach etc, i will keep out of the way.
    I would never try and Bully people to get out of my way like you say you do and if thats the attitude you have regarding dog ownership then who are you to preach to others when they are trying to keep the peace and avoid situaitons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭mattser

Can I just make a point to those people who take their ( off lead ) dogs to public places. As a runner, my 10K is regularly interrupted with a dog at my heels.

When you're 7K or 8K into the run and you have to stop, that's the run finished..( pace, breathing, etc ).

The vast majority of dog walkers are responsible, even those with their dogs loose. If your dog runs after someone jogging, it should be on a lead.

No amount of " Ah, he's only a pup " , " Ah he's just being friendly ", etc. can atone for ruining someone's day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Tell me about it OP. On the beach where I walk my dog, there is another couple that walk two terriers. One of them is called "Lenny". I don't know what it is, but anytime Lenny sees my lab there's problems.

Now fair is fair, I walk my dog off lead on the beach, so I'm not entirely in the right here - however, my dog doesn't do the following....

Lenny make a bee line for my dog, then proceeds to chase her for a few mins until he catches her. He them bits & locks onto her neck. Now he's yet to draw her blood (he's drawn mine), but it's only a matter of time. The first few times, Lennys male owner was walking him, and he managed to restrain Lenny (eventually). So now when I see them I avoid them like the plague. I call my dog to heel. They tend to do the same but Lenny doesn't heel, so...

The last time, it was Lennys female owner walking him. She was utterly useless at controlling him hence I ended up getting a scratch. Lennys sees my dog, comes bolting over and locks onto her neck. My dog starts to growl; heckles raise; warning signs. She then tries to snap at him. I'm roaring at her to stop, and trying to catch them. So utterly inept at controlling him is the <snip> owner, that she actually says it would be a good thing if my dog (who's bigger) bit Lenny!

Fuming I eventually catch up to them, grab Lenny & my dog, and separate them. In the process I get a minor scratch, but by christ I was fuming. What does she do? Mumbles an apology then continues her walk (in the same direction as me) with Lenny OFF lead. FFS!?!

To the owner: if you walk Burrow beach, Sutton, Dublin, with two Terriers - one an aggressive little nuisance (mod edit) called Lenny, cop. the. fuck. on. Seriously. Lenny shouldn't be off lead until you can control him. And next time he goes for my dog, I'll be going for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I don't agree with you at all
    First thing is you said that days like today you were tempted to let your dogs attack her single dog
    If that's the case and your thoughts about dogs you shouldn't be allowed to have a dog never mind 6 of them
    Also if your walking down the beach with all six of your dogs why should another person be forced to move out of your way just because you have six dogs
    I've had run ins with people like you before that think because they have more than 3 dogs that you have the right away And everyone else has to move aside
    I never have moved out of the way because I would feel bullied and i have an American Akita ( all 10half stone of him) and the looks I've gotten from not moving out of the way is ridiculous as if because you've more dogs than me I should move aside
    Not a chance
    If its such a big problem then I think you should find a new home for them dogs and stop thinking you've more rights because you've more dogs

Did you read the original post properly or are you looking to rise people?

I'm exactly like TMD & Andreac, I have my own two dogs and I also take other dogs to the beach, at the minute I've a foster along with boarders so I actively avoid anybody else. I park at the quiet end of the beach and if somebody is heading towards me with dogs I will either about turn or head into the dunes to avoid them.

The people I do tend to meet are OK for the most part, you can tell from a distance how much control they have of their dogs so I have plenty of time to make a decision about what to do. There's always the odd one or two that think they know it all and their dog is just being 'friendly' when in fact it's getting right in the face of mine. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

the owners I cant understand is the ones who allow the dog to bound up to yours and when you try to warn them off they say its ok, he needs to learn....ie they are so utterly clueless at controlling their own dog they think my dog will put some manners on them

I despair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Me? All mutts - 2 terriers, 1 collie x, 1 lab x, 1 spaniel x JRT and a GSD x spaniel

picture.php?albumid=1520&pictureid=10646
    The dog to the right. The look on it's face says one thing; CAT! :pac:

Gorgeous dogs btw :) Do ye have one couch for the humans, and one for the dogs? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

the_syco wrote: »
    The dog to the right. The look on it's face says one thing; CAT! :pac:

Gorgeous dogs btw :) Do ye have one couch for the humans, and one for the dogs? :P

They're not allowed on the couch at all at home, they couldn't believe their luck when the photographer suggested they all sit on the couch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

The photgrapher??? Please tell me it was Mr TMD with his camera phone.

Gorgeous dogs, makes me wish I had taken similar pics when the foster dogs were here. That little JRT mix in the middle is awesome. Exactly my kind of dog.

Advertisement