Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What used that place be called?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

The twins O'Brien Too many names to remember really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

evilivor wrote: »
    It was renamed Cantara wine bar for a while but never appeared to open, Billy Fudds before that.

You are next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

gimmick wrote: »
    You are next.

Newport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Cape Clear wrote: »
    The twins O'Brien Too many names to remember really

I was actually thinking Fanny Adams, at least that's what it was called the last time I lived in Cork ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

kuro2k wrote: »

Correct!

Egans
    Yes Egans is correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Yes Egans is correct

What kind of shop was it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kuro2k

What kind of shop was it ?

They used to sell waterford crystal etc from what I can remember....

They opened it after they moved out of the building on Partrick's Street that Jack & Jones were in. They used to be a high end jeweller when they were on Patrick's street. AFAIK they still have a opticians along the quays

evilivor wrote: »
    Newport.

Anyone know?

kuro2k wrote: »
    Anyone know?

I'm presuming that 'Oldport' isn't worth a guess?

I'm presuming that 'Oldport' isn't worth a guess?

lol.. I'm sure it used to be a "bully's" type resturant, I just can't think of the name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Mollies was the old name of Bar Rumba.

The old name of the small bar on the left as you go in the door of the Bróg ?
    Known as the berwick tavern back before that,what about the bailey anyone remember its previous names?

ofcork wrote: »
    Known as the berwick tavern back before that,what about the bailey anyone remember its previous names?

Nestors?

Right and before that for bonus points!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Right and before that for bonus points!

Courthouse Tavern.

Thought that was the bar on the other side of the courthouse,fwiw i remember the bailey as the grasshopper and georgia browns before that.

Thought that was the bar on the other side of the courthouse,fwiw i remember the bailey as the grasshopper and georgia browns before that.

And the Courthouse (maybe not Tavern) before that. Yes the bar on the other side is/was called The Courthouse Tavern - that came after.

This is bringing back some memories for me,what about larry tompkins?

This is bringing back some memories for me,what about larry tompkins?

The ferryman ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

murphym7 wrote: »
    Nope, afraid not. The Touchdown was the name of it up to around 2001/2002 - it was called something after that before it went to Hanleys. I have calls out on it and waiting the actual name, pretty sad.

This used to be called The Brog Maker when the Rebel Bar Group had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I have many happy memories of what used to be in the shop that is now Evans/ Dorothy Perkins on Patrick st ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Anyone able to name some of the shops that were in the old Savoy or the old Queens Old Castle ?

I barely remember either. Both had a big café plod in the centre. I remember Hickeys home furnishings being in a horseshoe shape in the Savoy where you could look down on top of the Café.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭VanillaLime

Here's a link to some pics of Cork taken in Jan 1981, brings back fond memories of being taken to see the Christmas lights as a child! Includes one of the Queens Old Castle. Mary Rose was the cafe I think?

http://corkcamera.com/1980s/night/pages/s03kg12devFeb81.htm

You can see some of the old shops in Patrick St in some pics, remember Saxone & Bolgers?

Curly, I have a vague memory of Topshop being where Evans is at one point but not sure what else? I know I should remember!

For going out, DeLacy House was the place to be when I was in college and first going out in town!

Anyone remember what Havana Browns was called in the early 90s? Used to go there a lot!

Also anyone remember what Cubins was called before?? Late 80s, very early 90s. Slightly before my time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Anyone able to name some of the shops that were in the old Savoy or the old Queens Old Castle ?

There was a computer shop called Tomorrows World in the Queens Old Castle. I remember heading in there regularly to look at the Commodore 64 games and very rarely be able to buy one. God that is well over 25 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

I remember Celtic Knot that was in the Savoy. They did lovely pieces with etchings in copper. It was great for presents. I think Mary Rose was the restaurant in there.
    I think I remember the Queens Old Castle as a Penneys or something similar. Now that was a long time ago [ie 70s]:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

Anyone remember what Havana Browns was called in the early 90s? Used to go there a lot!

Also anyone remember what Cubins was called before?? Late 80s, very early 90s. Slightly before my time!

Was Havana Browns called the globe?
    And Cubins called Spiders?
    I feel old now:eek:

Was Havana Browns called the globe?
    And Cubins called Spiders?
    I feel old now:eek:

Yes, I think Cubins was Spiders ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I barely remember either. Both had a big café plod in the centre. I remember Hickeys home furnishings being in a horseshoe shape in the Savoy where you could look down on top of the Café.

Noddys toy shop used to be in the Queens Old Castle - aaah I spent many a happy hour in there looking at all the toys :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well there goes the idea of the thread :)

Anyway, a friend of mine worked in Virgin.

In their stock area, the old clown that in part of Burgerland in the QOC is still there. Freaky as f**k I'm told.

Havannas was The Globe. It was also Nite Owls and The Pump House. And Erotic City. I think Havannas is an amalgamation of all of them.

Was in The Globe one night to see a DJ from America. He wouldn't stop playing. It was 3am and eventually the Gardai came in to clear it. Fun times.

Pat Eagan's record shop used to be in QOC, maybe Savoy too.
    Java Joes were in QOC for a while, then relocated to where Les Gourmandises is now. Beshoff posh chipper was briefly upstairs in QOC.
    Mary Rose was in QOC and Savoy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

The banana shop was in the QOC , almost like a head shop before there were head shops.
    "exotic" rolling papers , funny shaped pipes ,that sort of thing.

Advertisement