Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What used that place be called?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I have many happy memories of what used to be in the shop that is now Evans/ Dorothy Perkins on Patrick st ..
    .[/Quote
    Curly, I have a vague memory of Topshop being where Evans is at one point but not sure what else? I know I should remember.

Foleys sweetsop ... At the time it was the only place to get really posh chocolate ) Lindt !! )

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

ofcork wrote: »
    Thought that was the bar on the other side of the courthouse,fwiw i remember the bailey as the grasshopper and georgia browns before that.

Wasnt it call Nosey Parkers for a while too?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

kuro2k wrote: »
    Lebowskis

Back in the 80s it was The Limelight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I remember going to nite owls and getting the chips and curry at 1.30,clubs had to serve food back then to have the licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

I remember going to nite owls and getting the chips and curry at 1.30,clubs had to serve food back then to have the licence.

I remember them giving out some poxy cocktail sausages in Gorbys around the same time, and for the same reasons.

It was a bit of a joke though, one lad would walk through with about ten sausages, people would take one or two off him, that was it then, i.e. a pure token gesture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Would give anything to see an old picture of the inside of the Savoy or Queens Old Castle. Can only barely remember either of them. I'm old enough to remember them but hardly ever went in there.

Anyways. Another one.

€2 Store on Oliver Plunkett street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Would give anything to see an old picture of the inside of the Savoy or Queens Old Castle. Can only barely remember either of them. I'm old enough to remember them but hardly ever went in there.

Anyways. Another one.

That was a clothes shop for middle aged women from the country. Can't remember the name now.

Ah. Didn't know that. Thought it was a bar directly before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Caseys furniture used to be on that side in that building first I think.

Was thinking about the Oliver Plunkett Tavern but I must be a few years out :D

Used to have steps going down into it from the street. Did food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Here's one that's on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember:
    The Market Lane restaurant ?

Bassfish wrote: »
    Here's one that's on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember:
    The Market Lane restaurant ?

Aoife Lander's.
    Think it may have been The Clock Inn Tavern before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

Cuthberts - Vodafone shop across from BT

That was called cudmores.

Before Mc Donald's in Winthrop st ?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭SkySter

Before Mc Donald's in Winthrop st ?

Atkins Gardening Shop I think. At least I remember they were there for a long time. Not sure if McD's were straight after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Aoife Lander's.
    Think it may have been The Clock Inn Tavern before that.
    Aoife Landers, spot on. I played a gig there and all and couldn't think of the name.

SkySter wrote: »
    Atkins Gardening Shop I think. At least I remember they were there for a long time. Not sure if McD's were straight after them.

Christ, when did McDonalds open there ? 89 or 90 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Awww - I can't play as I haven't lived here long enough!!! :(

Christ, when did McDonalds open there ? 89 or 90 ?

Atkins is correct . Mac D opened earlier than 89 .. I'd be guessing In and around 85 .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

SkySter wrote: »

Was it a pretty large shop with ride-on lawn mowers etc? I remember going into such a shop about 30 years ago or so with my dad on weekends, I can get that garden centre type smell now as I'm thinking of it :pac:

Was it a pretty large shop with ride-on lawn mowers etc? I remember going into such a shop about 30 years ago or so with my dad on weekends, I can get that garden centre type smell now as I'm thinking of it :pac:

I suspect that one was on Camden Quay - now Camden Palace, formerly the temporary Circut Court while they spent about 15 years doing up the courthouse! It was also Atkins and definitely had ride on lawn mowers.

That was called cudmores.

Yes, Cuthberth's was on Anglesea Street.

I suspect that one was on Camden Quay - now Camden Palace, formerly the temporary Circut Court while they spent about 15 years doing up the courthouse! It was also Atkins and definitely had ride on lawn mowers.
    Winthrop st before Camden. Quay . Also you could park outside the door in Winthrop street !!!!

The place on camden quay was known as mckenzies.

The place on camden quay was known as mckenzies.

The business was Atkin's MCKenzie or McKenzie Atkin's.
    It is still known as The Atkin's building.

Anyone know what year the Pavillion Cinema closed and HMV opened. I presume there was no shop there inbetween ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Anyone know what year the Pavillion Cinema closed and HMV opened. I presume there was no shop there inbetween ?

Pavilion closed in 1989, HMV opened the following year. Nothing in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ferdo

When I was in UCC the pubs I frequented were The Millwheel, Riordans, Teach Beag, Hi B and Dan Lowery's!
    Oh and Chandra's was the night club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ferdo

When I was in UCC the pubs I frequented were The Millwheel, Riordans, Teach Beag, Hi B and Dan Lowery's!
    Oh and Chandra's was the night club.

Advertisement