Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Origins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I think the fact that Rock Steady aren't behind this one could have something to do with it. I doubt WB Montreal want to deviate too much for fear of being dumped if anything innovative they bring in alienates existing fans. If the next one from Rock Steady is more of the same though, I'd be disappointed alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Well for AC it wasn't but this is starting to feel like a cheap cash cow.

I was hoping after the gritty reveal we'd get a more Asylum type game, I felt City was too open(Origins open world is even bigger again) and never had many moments you hadn't total control of. Hoping that it plays into the angle that Bruce Wayne isn't yet an experienced Batman outside of the fact its brought up by Alfred brings it up in Trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Loved AA, thought AC was middle of the road. Surprised how much I just don't care about AO. More of the same. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Loved AA, thought AC was middle of the road. Surprised how much I just don't care about AO. More of the same. Again.

I feel the same.
    Arkham Asylum was an awesome game. Arkham City wasn't as good but was still an enjoyable game. But with this I don't seem to care :confused:

I have no idea why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I feel the same.
    Arkham Asylum was an awesome game. Arkham City wasn't as good but was still an enjoyable game. But with this I don't seem to care :confused:

I have no idea why.

Story.....story *made* AA, Paul Dini ftw!....i liked AC more because there was more to do and see, cant wait to get my hands on Origins!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, chalk another one up in the 'meh' camp; Arkham City was a good game, but it felt unfocused, became very dull after a time, and a lot of the side quests amounted to busy work and fetch-quests; the Bane mission was hilariously generic, the Zsazz one tedious, and the Riddler trophies in particular were OTT - I lost the will to hunt all of them down pretty quickly. The 'open world' concept was pretty counter intuitive as well, given the main plot had a literal ticking clock that constantly made it feel like I couldn't take the side quests at all.

Arkham Asylum had a tighter focus, a much better story (albeit with a truly dreadful last level / boss) and less filler. City felt like a classic case of making everything bigger for the sake of size but losing a lot of the magic. So with that in mind, I'm not really looking forward to another 'City' style game - maybe if they make the city more organic, interactive and a truer sandbox I'd be tempted, but otherwise I'd be more likely to play Asylum again than jump into Origins...

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thegame983

Yeah it's definitly going down the Assassin's Creed cash cow line. Rocksteady are aparantly working on a next gen sequel. Arkhan Asaylum was amazing. One of my favourite games of this generation. the first time scarecrow turned up was amazing I thought.

Blackgate promo for the Vita....looks superb!, i'd buy a vita just to play this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It's the animation that makes that trailer.

Have you seen Batman : Year One or Gotham Knight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

More cashing in?

More cashing in?

dude....its batman!

dude....its batman!

Yes, but this felt like the last bastion of quality Batman adventures.
    Now, it looks to be falling like the rest of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Cancelled my preorder and switched it to Watchdogs. Very little hype about this and doesnt look like a worthy sequel to pay full whack for. Ill get it in a year or two when its a tenner.

I'm a little sombre over the apparent disinterest in this game. I genuinely loved the last 2 Arkham games, while I can see and accept some of the criticisms offered. I actually haven't played AA in years, and overplayed AC last year and traded it in against Red Dead Redemption, it's at the point where I'd love a play through but am quite happy to wait another month or so for Origins.

I would like to see less Riddler challenges in the next game (Origins), with a bit more thought put into the puzzles beyond the current formula. Apart from that I will be happy if they continue as is. With that said, I will be a bit disappointed if the City-scape in Origins is not quite noticeably different from that in Arkham City. I believe that a fair portion of AC will be explorable, but hope that some of the districts are restored to their 'glory days' i.e. Amusement Mile. Being able to climb/soar to and from much higher buildings than in AC would also be a plus.

Bearing in mind the hope and apparent knowledge that Rock Steady are working on a next-gen follow-up to AC, I see no harm in the forth-coming Origins entry. Just please don't suck.

^ i would say alot of the cityscape is being re-used for AO...albeit touchups. But there is the new modern part of the city to explore and i assume they'll have some other new buildings injected into the old AC world model.

But yes, its fair to say WB Montreal have simply rehashed the Rocksteady engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm pretty much ok with that, really. It was a fine engine that brought Batman et al. to life rather wonderfully, and the game mechanics have always been fantastic. It honestly doesn't need a whole lot of tweaking. The only change I really want is a more focused story than Arkham City, with side-quests that aren't silly fetch-quests and that make sense in relation to the main plot.

Oh, and more detective stuff. Why can nobody ever remember the World's Greatest Detective part?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm pretty much ok with that, really. It was a fine engine that brought Batman et al. to life rather wonderfully, and the game mechanics have always been fantastic. It honestly doesn't need a whole lot of tweaking. The only change I really want is a more focused story than Arkham City, with side-quests that aren't silly fetch-quests and that make sense in relation to the main plot.

Oh, and more detective stuff. Why can nobody ever remember the World's Greatest Detective part?

I'm replaying Asylum again after picking it up on the cheap, hadn't played it since it's original launch, it's still brilliant. It was the first game to make you feel like you were actually Batman, doing things Batman would be doing. The self contained world of Arkham felt big enough to be free roaming but not too big. I like City too but way, way too much padding and side quests. I finished the main story and never went back to is.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    The self contained world of Arkham felt big enough to be free roaming but not too big. I like City too but way, way too much padding and side quests. I finished the main story and never went back to is.

Not really I could finish that game in 2 sittings handily, if anything the side quests were either too lazy(destroy 6 titan containers, answer a phone....eight times) or brief (like finding Nora Fries).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

GTR63 wrote: »
    Not really I could finish that game in 2 sittings handily, if anything the side quests were either too lazy(destroy 6 titan containers, answer a phone....eight times) or brief (like finding Nora Fries).

Yeah that's what I mean, I generally don't like collect-em-up side quests in games, titles like Assassin's Creed are full of them, collect 50 of this, 100 of that, bleh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah that's what I mean, I generally don't like collect-em-up side quests in games, titles like Assassin's Creed are full of them, collect 50 of this, 100 of that, bleh.

That nirnroot quest in oblivion was a passion in the arse.

^ i personally LOVED the side missions and Riddler trophy collecting....it greatly extended the life/playing time of the game. I loved tryna figure out the Riddler puzzles...and they way they did it, solve 50 to save a hostage added an incentive ti finish them all.

If you played the mian story through you might only get a few hours of gameplay. The open world aspect is great for combos. beating thugs up, honing skills, flying around and having FUN being Batman!!

Oh the 430 riddler trophies were just annoying. I got like 3 quarters of them & gave up, more annoying when they put the Catwoman ones in it. Would of liked to have seen them put more work into the side missions instead although I enjoyed the investigating in the Deadshot(the actual bossfight was crap though) and Hush ones, the Riddler hostage rooms were good aswell, once you unlocked them that is & the Mad Hatter one was decent if brief too.

Origins needs more Scarecrow scenes!!

Origins needs more Scarecrow scenes!!

Not really its crying for something that says its something different from what happened previously in Asylum/City. Would personally like to see Harvey Dent appear & become Two Face or a Man-Bat appearance. The Ventriloquist & Scarface would be unreal too but highly unlikely.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Not really its crying for something that says its something different from what happened previously in Asylum/City. Would personally like to see Harvey Dent appear & become Two Face or a Man-Bat appearance. The Ventriloquist & Scarface would be unreal too but highly unlikely.

Yeah, perhaps some of the more minor villains that we saw locked up in AA, such as Scarface.
    Seeing Dent would be a brilliant idea. Maybe Harleen Quinzel too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There are already 8 major villains in there and a few others. They really don't need to cram it full of cameos like they did with Arkham City. There is such a thing as too much stuff in a game.

Advertisement