Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Origins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

sheehy83 wrote: »
    It's one thing games being hard and needing skil ala demons souls but having to sit through 8-9 hours and 1 bad counter means starting again is just madness.

It's the old school way though. When the stench of the arcade "lives" system was still hanging in the air and if you ran out you had to start the whole game again. It's just going one step further. :P

I don't really mind myself, I never Platinum games and I'm not a sucker for punishment so I'll just leave the mode alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I like the idea. I like it a lot. I'd probably go straight to the hardest setting if it were available without having to unlock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I only found out a while back there was a new Arkham game coming out, have had my head out of gaming for the last while. Looks like a day 1 purchase for me, purely on the strength of the franchise. The previous 2 (especially asylum) were very strong.
    I thought the first one was the best too, it had a tighter story and didn't become overloaded with gadgets as time went by.

The second was still good but just not as good as the first one. I'm hoping it's not a trend but seeing the amount of bad guys being thrown into this one I think they might be going to quantity over quality. It'll probably still be enjoyable but not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

orpksg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Abercrombie girl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Realistic take on Hawkgirl?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Barbara Gordon pre-Batgirl?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

There is such a thing as squeezing too many characters into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

There is such a thing as squeezing too many characters into the game.

Yeah, it does have the stink of a game that packs in a load of baddies in the hopes that they won't have to write any story.

GTR63 wrote: »
    orpksg.png

Looks a bit like Alyx Vance. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Yeah, it does have the stink of a game that packs in a load of baddies in the hopes that they won't have to write any story.

I'm not sure it does really. Being a third game in the series and with a bigger map it had to have more villians really.
    Added to that the "one night to kill the Bat", it makes sense that they would come crawling out of the woodwork for a shot. The way it's set up as a prequel with a younger Bruce Wayne makes a great starting point for a storyline, I think.

Also, we don't know if these characters are going to be totally introduced or some just as cameos (like Robin in Arkham City).

Aenaes wrote: »

Also, we don't know if these characters are going to be totally introduced or some just as cameos (like Robin in Arkham City).

Good point, Robin was a pointless addition.

batman-arkham-origins-pc-1380622609-032.jpg

Yeah its Barbara Gordon, meh. Might get an Oracle origins story. Highly doubt it but might.

20 minute gameplay video, didn`t get to watch it myself yet but said i`d share in anyway.

Yeah its Barbara Gordon, meh. Might get an Oracle origins story. Highly doubt it but might.

Bloody hell, this is supposed to be the Batman origin story...cramming in Barbara to Batgirl to Oracle would really be a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's not Batman's origins. It's the "Second year" so it's more about him becoming a more refined hero. But it would be a bit much to cram in Oracle. Unless they go about her origin differently to the comics. Otherwise the story would have to be about Batman and Joker again.

Hmm. Couple of nice bits and pieces I hadn't seen before there. Really hoping there are some decent opportunities to stealth about the place, the GCPD building showed some potential but whoever was playing that demo was awfully fight-happy. As well as not very good :pac:

It doesn't look quite as nice as the other two in that video, it may be just I'm used to the PC version which I think has a load of extra effects.

I like the idea of more detective work to go with the combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ScumLord wrote: »
    It doesn't look quite as nice as the other two in that video, it may be just I'm used to the PC version which I think has a load of extra effects.

I like the idea of more detective work to go with the combat.

It really doesn't, City's looked much better than that

I kept expecting the higher quality textures to load in :) Even without the PhysX stuff, the PC versions had much, much finer detail.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    I kept expecting the higher quality textures to load in :) Even without the PhysX stuff, the PC versions had much, much finer detail.
    I started playing AA again recently and I'm still blown away by how good it looks. You can see the threads in the jokers clothes for gods sake.

I started playing AA again recently and I'm still blown away by how good it looks. You can see the threads in the jokers clothes for gods sake.

It's an outstanding, absolutely compelling game. One of those real un-putdownable gems you come across once or twice a console generation that totally takes over all your spare time. I spent many late nights in the hunt for riddles and trophies when I should have been long asleep for work next morning.

I don't know if it was just me, but I thought the combat in AC was too complex. Too many variables and attacks and enemy types etc. Asylum had it just right. I got a bigger sense of satisfaction out of duffing up the joker's 12-man welcome party before the last boss fight than I did from any scrap I had anywhere in Arkham City, even the ones several times bigger.

I spent far more time in the challenge rooms in the first one too, both stealth AND combat. Getting all three medals on "shock and awe" on the hardest difficulty level is still one of my proudest gaming achievements :-)

I don't know if it was just me, but I thought the combat in AC was too complex.
    I thought that too, it was a typical American response to success. Bigger is better!

Although, I guess once they used the confined asylum setting it was harder to find a good location that offered the same feeling of free roam while being fairly tightly controlled.

The city scapes may work better when the next gen of consoles come out and allow for more content.

Bloody hell, this is supposed to be the Batman origin story...cramming in Barbara to Batgirl to Oracle would really be a stretch.

Guess so but I get a feeling rocksteady may want to do Origin stories themselves and this will be less Origins more lite Intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I am wet for this.

Guess so but I get a feeling rocksteady may want to do Origin stories themselves and this will be less Origins more lite Intro.

D'ya reckon?

I thought the since Kevin Conroy hinted he would be voicing the next installment, that it won't be an origin story.

I thought that too, it was a typical American response to success. Bigger is better!

Although, I guess once they used the confined asylum setting it was harder to find a good location that offered the same feeling of free roam while being fairly tightly controlled....

I don't know, honestly, i was so excited at the thought of free roam around a city with the same basic configuration of gadgets and combat moves they used in asylum. All i really wanted to see was smoke pellets to aid stealth, one or two control mechanics improved, and a good way of getting round a large space (turned out to be the grapnel boost). That, and maybe a tweaking of the detective mode to make it less game-breaking, something like a recharge meter that stops you going around with it on all day long (like the smoke pellets ended up having).

Some of the new gadgets and abilities were great (permanently disabling weapons), others were pants (freeze blasts, electrical charges, etc), but with the sheer number of them as well as the fact that uses for each one were worked into the storyline so you HAD to use them, it just became very hard to keep track of which move or gizmo to use in what situation.

Asylum had just enough stuff that you were well equipped, but never too much that you were overwhelmed in the middle of a scrap. The challenge rooms in City were just no fun because of all the complexity, whereas i couldn't stop playing the rooms in AA until i got all the medals and every move was second nature to do.

Also, what happened to the "throw a baddie at other baddies" move? That was great for getting ring outs and cutting down enemy numbers in combat rooms.

I don't know if it was just me, but I thought the combat in AC was too complex. Too many variables and attacks and enemy types etc.
    I did kinda find that too. It didn't help that I was able to complete both games without actually getting the hang of the freeflow system.

That said, as soon as I tried my hand at the combat challenges, I had to learn. And once a crossed that threshold, it became easy peesy.
    Now I could nail a 100+ combo with little effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I did kinda find that too. It didn't help that I was able to complete both games without actually getting the hang of the freeflow system.

That said, as soon as I tried my hand at the combat challenges, I had to learn. And once a crossed that threshold, it became easy peesy.

Yeah, once you got into a rhythm with the combat, there was little challenge to them except being mindful of the different types of enemies (guns/knives/stun)

• Advertisement

Yeah, i got to that point in arkham asylum, where especially on the harder setting you would get crucified or just run out of time if you weren't using the full range of moves and gadgets. On city though, it was much less fun, more complex, and there was a loophole that basically made you untouchable. Vault over an enemy, hit him once, vault over an enemy, hit him once, repeat, repeat, repeat, build up your combo till you can do a takedown, repeat till you get fed up...

Once i discovered that trick it wasn't long before i gave up out of boredom, whereas completing combat rooms in asylum was a real achievement, especially with the online placements for time, etc.

Advertisement