Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Origins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

No review till later in the week.. Does not sound good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    No review till later in the week.. Does not sound good..

It's normal these days. Don't read anything into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

jones wrote: »
    Could really do with a review of two to leak to suss this one out. I love the previous 2 but when i heard it was a new crowd doing Arkham Origins i ruled it out as being rubbish ha

It's warner bros games Montreal. They did the Wii u port of arkham city (the best version of the game as chance may have it). They know what they're doing and won't screw anything up. Rocksteadys next batman is already in development though if you reeeeally don't like origins

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

COYVB wrote: »
    Rocksteadys next batman is already in development though if you reeeeally don't like origins
    Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's common knowledge. No source needed really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

http://draculascave.co/2013/10/22/review-batman-arkham-origins/

first review iv seen basically its more of the same which I/WE all already knew
    I think thats kinda his main issue with the game me personally im looking forward to jumping into a batman game on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wonder how much of Gotham you'll see in Origins, since Asylum and City had self contained environments, just on a larger scale in City. Be cool to have Gotham itself to roam around.

krudler wrote: »
    Wonder how much of Gotham you'll see in Origins, since Asylum and City had self contained environments, just on a larger scale in City. Be cool to have Gotham itself to roam around.

Yeah but including regular members of the public would be difficult I imagine. Could all get a bit GTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think there will be some civs on the map but the city is told about the danger and told to stay indoors that night, there excuse for lack of people on the streets, which works.

Kevin conroy let slip that he was working on an arkham game. Everyone thought it was origins until he made another statement saying he is not in origins. Everyone took that as he was working on rocksteadys next gen arkham. Makes sense that origins is keeping the series going between rocksteadys move to next gen.

Arkham next gen......cannot wait to see what thats like.

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »

Arkham next gen......cannot wait to see what thats like.

Yes, but I personally am afraid that his will make the arkham series a call of duty style cash cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not sure if this was posted but the game comes on 2 discs on 360 and will require an install off 1, if GTA is anything to go by you shouldn't install the play disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

biggebruv wrote: »

first review iv seen basically its more of the same which I/WE all already knew
    I think thats kinda his main issue with the game me personally im looking forward to jumping into a batman game on friday

I could of wrote that review it lacks so little depth. I wonder if he even played it, not that I am expecting Origins to be of Asylum/City Level but talk about lazy.

Rocksteadys next batman is already in development...
    ...I personally am afraid that his will make the arkham series a call of duty style cash cow...

Yeah it looks like they're going to take the same approach that activision did with call of duty. Have 2 developers and let them alternate on development of each game. That way a big game comes out every one to two years in time for christmas, but the dev still gets a 2-3 year development cycle per game.

I really hope they don't flood the market with batman games, like they did with call of duty, and a new game every year. It's made the entire genre so samey and derivative, even non call of duty games feel like call of duty and ape all it's features.

first review iv seen basically its more of the same which I/WE all already knew...
    GTR63 wrote: »
    I could of wrote that review it lacks so little depth. I wonder if he even played it, not that I am expecting Origins to be of Asylum/City Level but talk about lazy.

I'd be willing to bet that's a "review" based on a hands on preview or a go on a mate's bootlegged copy for 20 minutes or so. It's too light on detail to put any faith in, no boss battles, no details on mechanics, storylines, etc.

All of the detailed reviews by serious pro reviewers with proper early access to the game have already been written and are waiting for the embargo to be lifted on friday, not that they'll have any effect on my buying decision. Even if it is more of the same, sign me up. I'm getting quite used to my pre-christmas batman fix now...
    I think there will be some civs on the map but the city is told about the danger and told to stay indoors that night, there excuse for lack of people on the streets, which works...

I read that in a preview and the first thing i thought was "developer explaining away the difficulty involved with programming a GTA style living city". A proper Gotham with traffic and civs would be amazing, but it would be a massive undertaking, and probably too grand a scope for a developer who wants to prove they're a safe pair of hands for their first big outing.
    Varik wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted but the game comes on 2 discs on 360 and will require an install off 1, if GTA is anything to go by you shouldn't install the play disc.

Ugh, i really need to get a bigger hard drive. I'm tired of installing and uninstalling games on the one spare 5gb space on my crappy old 1st generation machine.

You can get a free Batman One Million skin by registering on the WB site

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/The-Benefits-of-WBID/m-p/13#U13

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It's warner bros games Montreal. They did the Wii u port of arkham city (the best version of the game as chance may have it). They know what they're doing and won't screw anything up. Rocksteadys next batman is already in development though if you reeeeally don't like origins

I don't know this and am a bit remorseful preordering the game. I'm worried it'll just be a good game now. Especially since it's not a full priced game.

Launch trailer, and it looks f*cking class! WHERE IS HE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Waiting for a dispatch email from gamesnash when do they usually dispatch preorders anyways a day between release which would be today ?

There was a 2 year gap inbetween asylum and city

We have another 2year gap here between city and origins

Yearly releases are never good imo but its not its been two years since city

So if thats not acceptable to people then what waiting period should be between games then?

The 5year wait for gtav was insane imo and i hope its nots that long till we see gta6

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

I tried to pre order this HMV and they told me I was too late to pre order it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Waiting for a dispatch email from gamesnash when do they usually dispatch preorders anyways a day between release which would be today ?

There was a 2 year gap inbetween asylum and city

We have another 2year gap here between city and origins

Yearly releases are never good imo but its not its been two years since city

So if thats not acceptable to people then what waiting period should be between games then?

The 5year wait for gtav was insane imo and i hope its nots that long till we see gta6

I don't think the issue is actually with the length. I think it's just that it's not a big change from the previous game.

However I really have no issue... really looking forward to this.

• Advertisement

Gamesnash should hopefully be shipping tomorrow for the game to be delivered to us on Friday. If it does get shipped today and the postman does an excellent job delivering it tomorrow, then how bad :D

I agree with the above, no way is this turning into a COD yearly cash grab. This is only the 3rd game in an excellent series. Rocksteady knew there would be a big delay between City and next gen arkham so had another dev work on an Origins story to fill the gap but Rocksteady gave them access to all their tools and programing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I was up close with the unboxed collectors edition yesterday.

Yeaaaaaaaahhhh....you're going to want to get that.

Amazing statue, but the steelbook is perhaps the coolest I have ever seen.

Is it worth 40 extra? Absolutely!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

tok9 wrote: »
    I don't think the issue is actually with the length. I think it's just that it's not a big change from the previous game.

However I really have no issue... really looking forward to this.
    The batman games being similar in the way they work is a good enough thing though. I don't see a problem with the game staying more or less the same in the way it works and each game becoming just a batman story.

With these games being familiar you can just get straight into the action and playing as batman is a bit like coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So were they favouring Ireland over the UK by releasing it this Friday? the Friday before a long weekend. :)
    Though I guess if waiting on it by post, you may have to wait til Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I was up close with the unboxed collectors edition yesterday.

Yeaaaaaaaahhhh....you're going to want to get that.

Amazing statue, but the steelbook is perhaps the coolest I have ever seen.

Is it worth 40 extra? Absolutely!

I cancelled mine at start of week and went for standard, silly me :(

I'm slightly hampered in my anticipation for Origins because I currently have no fúcking xbox. Being a casual gamer, mine finally went RROD in August and I've been holding out for a next gen console since. But, I have to play this game! Do any of you happen to have any experience with the refurbished xbox (console only) sales on adverts? There is a person selling them perpetually from Wicklow for €50, with 100% positive feedback. Think it'd be worth a punt if it got me through Arkham Origins and whatever else until the PS4 drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Saw the ad on telly last night, rather then my mobile phone. SErious anticipation

Unfortunately Amazon estimate delivery next Wednesday, so no GTA like early release. Booked my copy back months ago aswell :(

There was a 2 year gap inbetween asylum and city...We have another 2year gap here between city and origins....if thats not acceptable to people then what waiting period should be between games then?

I think two years between games, or three in the case of something really special is about right. Yearly releases give things a "cash cow" feel, and also saturate the market/cause players to get bored with the format.

Assuming an average two to two and a half year development cycle, whatever it is that rocksteady have been working away on secretly for the last year or so (apart from kevin conroy accidentally blowing the lid on it via twitter, lol) should be ready for next november/december's buying season, unless it's something really truly epic with a 3 years + dev cycle.

That could conceivably mean the second batsy game we've seen in a little over 12 months...
    tok9 wrote: »
    I don't think the issue is actually with the length. I think it's just that it's not a big change from the previous game...

I think the length of time between games and the lack of innovation are closely tied together. Not that i mind if Arkham Origins is more of the same, because i like the format, and haven't gotten tired of it (yet anyways), but what happened to COD is a good example of what could happen to other franchises if they try to put out games too often to hit a predetermined street date.

Around the time of COD Modern warfare 1 and Call of Duty World at war being released, it wasn't an issue having two developers each working on a two year cycle and releasing a COD game a year, because the games themselves were still interesting in their own right, with enough storyline and unique aspects, weapons, control settings etc to keep them fresh, and all the other FPS devs on the scene were still doing their own thing. Once modern warfare was a massive massive super mega hit though, everything activision put out through both developers was based on the same mechanics (save for a few minor tweaks in each game) and the story and plot development began to get the chop and be sacrificed to provide bigger and supposedly better multiplayer experience. Copy and paste graphics, controls, etc became the order of the day, and all the resources were put into developing on-disc DLC and more and more multiplayer maps and rebalance patches.

The series stagnated, and (in my humble opinion) it dragged down the majority of the FPS genre with it. Battlefield, and even Halo (sniff) which had always been quite true to themselves at that point, changed their formula to make it pick up more and more aspects from the COD games, and the whole genre became all about who could get the latest release finished in time for the annual November rush.

I'd hate to see that happen to the Batman games. We've only seen them get good in the last few years after a load of terrible licenses that used the content on every console since the Snes.

Launch trailer, and it looks f*cking class! WHERE IS HE!!!

Ah jaysus....now I want this!
    Been burned by slick trailers before!

It's a toughie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Been burned by slick trailers before!
    Never trust a trailer, it's possible to make the most horrible muck look good in a trailer.

Advertisement