Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Origins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh, FFS, what timing.

I don't suppose anyone knows why Steam just crapped out on me with the error "Failed to load: *SteamStartEngine(0x6cf4b4) cannot open blob archive file: CMultiFieldBlob(mem-mapped file):failed with error 1: failed to open file"?

EDIT: Never mind, turns out a sneaky program had gobbled up what little space was left on that particular HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yep and also the Wii U version is the more expensive version while in the States it was announced that since the Wii U version wouldn't have multiplayer that it would be $10 cheaper than PS3 and 360 versions. Checking Amazon.com confirms this to be true.

That makes it the best version in my eyes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thanks for clarifying that. I was actually waiting on an email with the CD key, similar to the ones you get off G2play. I'm downloading it now. 20% currently.

Lucky you. I'm only at 10%. EFibre due on Tuesday. Why couldn't it be this week? I see it's it's changed from preload now anyway so hope ye all enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

GTR63 wrote: »
    That makes it the best version in my eyes. :D

Yeah that's why I was willing to buy it. I'm more of a single player person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What!! When did they confirm this? I have not received any communication.

I only found out today. Hard copies in the UK in stores are being delayed because of stock issues until November. That means that any online website that just buys hard copies and then sells the keys over the internet, like G2Play, simply has no stock to sell. I found it fairly outrageous so I cancelled immediately.
    kevin2800 wrote: »
    hey kirby g2play wont refund my preoreder
    they say
    We can offer you reward (credit) points for this order.
    We will give you points equal to the amount which you've paid.
    You can exchange reward (credit) points to pay when you make new order in our shop.
    Sorry for any inconvenience caused and thank you for cooperation.

Best Regards
    G2Play.net Team
    Marcin
    WTF
    Shiminay wrote: »
    Check the Ts & Cs, but chances are that's a gross violation of internet sales law in the EU and they have to refund you - that's a sign of a company with cash flow problems.
    Glebee wrote: »
    Just emailed them but there giving me the same crap about not refunding but giving me points toward other purchases.

"Dear Customer

We can offer you reward points for this order
    We will give you points equal to the amount which you have already paid.
    You may exchange reward points towards payments when you make new order in our shop.
    Sorry for any inconvenience caused and thank you for cooperation.

Please retain all history if you reply to this mail.
    If you have any doubts or questions please feel free to contact us. We are at your service 24/7.

Best Regards
    G2Play.net Team
    Marcela"

Like Shiminay said, they are legally obligated to refund you. Don't accept their offer of credit.

They sent the same email to me and I responded with a firm thanks but no thanks. I reminded them of consumer law and also of the 30 day cooling off period that applies to all products, including digital ones as long as the product has not been opened.

I reordered with cdkeyshere.com who are also shady as hell......but I received my key at about 8pm and am downloading through steam now so I'm happy. 19 euro for a brand new game through steam when steam themselves are charging 45.......can't go wrong to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I don't know why I was able to play it yesterday and none of you could.
    I didn't buy it illegally, it was through STEAM.
    I'm currently in Korea, but it unlocked immediately after I downloaded it, which was about 11am your time yesterday, and that was after I read Genghiz had done it the night before
    Preloaded on Steam last night.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I don't know why I was able to play it yesterday and none of you could.
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    I'm currently in Korea....

I'll go out on a limb and say that this has something to do with it.........:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Kirby wrote: »
    I'll go out on a limb and say that this has something to do with it.........:P

Couldn't you just change your STEAM region then in the Download section ?

Though it's probably out now there at this stage.
    I paid for mine in Euros through the STEAM Store, and download location set to China

Seems the game doesn't like it when your internet connection goes down. Just had a crash to menu in the middle of an important fight. Not happy about that.

Otherwise, pretty much as I expected. It might just be that I haven't played Arkham City in a while, but Hard seems to be more than just the 'press counter now' warning being removed, I swear the thugs are all faster. Story is good so far, bit darker, Batman still hasn't quite gotten the hang of interrogating folks. Some nice touches with him using his shadow and being generally scary. I like it. Well, when it's not berating me for my net connection going down...

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It’s as good as Batman: Arkham City in most ways

All I needed to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Now I'm happy. I think we all knew it'd be more of the same but it's great to hear that the story is supposed to be excellent!

Hopefully I'll be able to play some over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

have to laugh at gamespots review points one of them was

no suprises or inovations to liven up the gameplay

yeah ok so call of duty and assasins creed can bang out ****e year after year and still get decently higher range scores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

biggebruv wrote: »
    have to laugh at gamespots review points one of them was

no suprises or inovations to liven up the gameplay

yeah ok so call of duty and assasins creed can bang out ****e year after year and still get decently higher range scores

One thing that is often overlooked was the polish of the previous arkham games, they always ran quite smooth. Whereas other games have horrible screen tearing, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Anyone see any reviews of Blackgate? I can't check myself since I'm at work but I'd be interested in getting it on the way home if it's any good.

• Kirby wrote: »
    I only found out today. Hard copies in the UK in stores are being delayed because of stock issues until November. That means that any online website that just buys hard copies and then sells the keys over the internet, like G2Play, simply has no stock to sell. I found it fairly outrageous so I cancelled immediately.

Like Shiminay said, they are legally obligated to refund you. Don't accept their offer of credit.

They sent the same email to me and I responded with a firm thanks but no thanks. I reminded them of consumer law and also of the 30 day cooling off period that applies to all products, including digital ones as long as the product has not been opened.

I reordered with cdkeyshere.com who are also shady as hell......but I received my key at about 8pm and am downloading through steam now so I'm happy. 19 euro for a brand new game through steam when steam themselves are charging 45.......can't go wrong to be honest.

This worked for me, they fully refunded my paypal. Thanks dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

What are going to be the difficulties are you going to do.
    Can anyone find the app for android

ign review it got 7.8...

That review basically says it's more of the same but with less polish and a few graphical & control niggles. Also the electro shock gloves and auto grapple line thingy are "win buttons" that automatically beat all enemies make everything else you've collected until that point redundant? That sounds kind of good and bad for me. "Win buttons" are generally bad, but i really didn't like the sheer amount of different enemy types in Arkham City and all the different button combinations you needed to remember in combat to beat everyone. It really took from the instinctive, free-flowing nature of the combat versus how Asylum felt and played. Even now having re-played both in the last two weeks, asylum's combat is still far more enjoyable and instinctive.

A "win button" might be nice to have for that reason...

Looks like Arkham Asylum > Arkham City > Arkham Origins. I'm still getting it though. Anybody want to get together for a private match or two on the multiplayer over the weekend? Should be a few lols.

"Win buttons" are generally bad, but i really didn't like the sheer amount of different enemy types in Arkham City and all the different button combinations you needed to remember in combat to beat everyone. It really took from the instinctive, free-flowing nature of the combat versus how Asylum felt and played. Even now having re-played both in the last two weeks, asylum's combat is still far more enjoyable and instinctive.

City had the same "win button" type of fighting too. Combo to five, press X and Y together I think....one hit kill even against knife and electric baton enemies. Bats would just grab them and knock them out. It was the most efficient way to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

GTR63 wrote: »
    One thing that is often overlooked was the polish of the previous arkham games, they always ran quite smooth. Whereas other games have horrible screen tearing, etc.

I found City had awful screen tearing on PS3, depends on the area you're in but there's a lot in the big outside areas.

• Advertisement

Just got my copy from Gamesnash, thanks lads!

It has the Deathstroke DLC with 2 challenge maps and 2 skins and the Knightfall pack with 5 challenge maps and 2 skins. Cmon home time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I bought a steam key on Game.co.uk, any idea when it's supposed to be sent to your inbox? The order says "shipped"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Postman has been and gone, no Batman for me today :(

Reiketsu wrote: »

Who did you order from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Who did you order from?

Amazon. It was shipped yesterday morning, they really should have sent it on Wednesday I think.

Game booted me out several times over the night with that bloody "bollocks network connection!" Message. I could understand if it was the multiplayer portion, but it's inexcusable for a single player game to punish you for your net connection. There are other bugs; every once in a while the sound might not work for a cutscene. I've had objective markers vanish off the map. How am I supposed to know where Lacey Twee us when the map only shows district names? Some frustration was involved in last night's session.

Still, it's a fun game with a few twists, and 6 hours or so playing on hard got me a little over 10% completion. The Deathstroke battle was fun. Had to turn hints back on for it, the timing is damn tricky if you don't know his moves. May be necessary for martial arts fighters too, at least until I get used to them.

And seriously pretty on pc, actually. I could walk arouse on a rooftop for ages watching Bats leave footprints...

Reiketsu wrote: »

Chase after him and start punching him screaming "Where is it?!?!?!" in your best Batvoice, g'wan.

Kirby wrote: »
    City had the same "win button" type of fighting too. Combo to five, press X and Y together I think....one hit kill even against knife and electric baton enemies. Bats would just grab them and knock them out. It was the most efficient way to deal with them.

That's a takedown. It's been in all of the Arkham games. It's an integral part of the fighting system. You build up your combo meter using skill and good judgement in your choice of which enemies to target and how, then once you've earned the ability to take someone out by maintaining your combo for long enough, you use it on the most dangerous thug in the bunch to get him out of the equation and start over.

There's no way that's a win button.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ugh, had about 30 free credit in GameStop so went it to collect it this morning - delayed until start 11th November or something. Bit of a kick in the face, especially since I've decided to go PC only for a while. I normally just download but due to the free credit, I said I'd just get the physical copy - guess I'm looking for a cheap CD key.

• Advertisement

I love the combat in the Arkham games, being able to counter an enemy behind you as you're battering one in front of you looks cool, it all flows together really well. It's not super complex or anything but it's fun and there's some cool ways to string gadgets into the combos. I still think Asylum is better than City though, City seemed really unfocused at times, and I missed the Scarecrow parts they were my favourite sections of Asylum. Especially when Bruce was seeing his younger self and dead parents that was class.

Advertisement