Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Origins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just walked in there myself right now, so I don't know what you're on about?

You enter through a door under an arch and then use your glue bomb to make a boat to get through the sewer, what manhole. The bombed out part is after that area.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Thank you! Must've confused it with another place. I've been trying to enter via the wreckage and seen that door as a dead end away from his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭maximoose

Didn't pay much attention to the Worst Nightmare challenge track and now only at #5 after finishing the story. Balls. Get the feeling these won't be too easy on NGP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm absolutely loving this game. For me it's probably the best in the series. They have refined the fighting, boss fights are better than the previous two and the story has been fantastic.

I imagine I'm quite close to the end of the game now with only 1 or 2 side quests to do.

Big improvement over City imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

tok9 wrote: »
    What was wrong with it? I can't imagine using explosive gel at all in that fight. I just fought her as I would any other group.

Hmm, maybe I just suck and need to 'git gud', but I found it a complete mess an unable to properly track who was going to attack me at any time. I have camera auto adjust on, so it will generally point the cam in the direction I need to be focusing on, but it did NOT do that for that boss fight. I was playing on hardest difficulty available to me from first play through, though. No attack indicators or anything.

But I swear, use explosive gel quickfire, you're invincible when you do it and the copperhead clones tend to bunch up when there's a lot of em' and you can just blast em' with one hit (playing on hard mode, so def in normal too). Then you just take em' down as normal when they've been thinned out enough.

• Advertisement

Spent a few hours at this last night, post patch, and i must say, story-wise it's picking up very nicely, I just passed the section where batman
    fights joker/bane on the roof of the hotel, then saves joker's life unexpectedly

I thought the section where
    vicki vale confirms the existence of batman live on air from the chopper
    was inspired, where you're
    controlling batman in a scrap by means of watching it on the television feed
    . Nice bit of writing, and a cool
    exposition of the character, and followed by a nice appearance of the red hood and an early Harley Quinn in the joker section after that

I'm currently grinding around the place doing some of the side challenges to unlock upgrades and abilities, after i noticed the standard of the average goon about town was getting a lot tougher and more machine gun happy. I'm focusing on ballistic armour (obviously) and unlocking stuff that will help me deal with lots of enemies at once, like the bat swarm, multi ground takedown, shockwave attack, etc. Next on the list is getting an A grade in a scrap with a threat level of "high" or better. That ought to be fun....:(

Any pointers on what abilities/challenges are best to prioritize getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

They have refined the fighting,

You're probably the only one to think this. For me it's completely erratic.
    Sometimes I can easily get a 50x + combo going, other times I get slapped about 6 times in a row with the counter timing being off on the screen.

It's completely inconsistent.

The story is good....but...there were too many throwaway characters (basically ALL of them except Joker/Bane/Deathstroke) ...they felt like "filler'

Also, what was the deal with Joker and Bane.
    Earlier in the game...Bane basically tries to kill Joker..and would have had Batman not saved Joker.
    Next time you see them, they're pals in the prison....makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,781 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, was great to see the
    Red Hood
    bit, hopefully a hint and it's return in the next Arkham game.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Sometimes I can easily get a 50x + combo going, other times I get slapped about 6 times in a row with the counter timing being off on the screen.

I haven't noticed one instance where it has been inconsistent for me. If I ever get hit, it's my fault.

The game has genuinely exceeded my expectations... maybe a lot is down to the story. I'm just finding it really entertaining.

That's great to hear tok9. Most people (including myself) have been disappointed in some way.

• Advertisement

If others are having issues that really is crap to hear and I hope it gets patched. I must just be lucky this time round.

I've only come across 1 bug twice in the game where I can't hit 1 criminal and he just walks around me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Finished story last night. Very satisfying indeed, the Joker was excellently done, a very dark and even frightening character.

Boss fights were generally brilliant. Deathstroke and Copperhead were a lot of fun, as was Bane (although fighting him 3 times was a stretch.

Apart from the grappling mentioned above, most of my gripes are about the under use of the other assassins. Electrocutioner may as well not have been there. Deadshot was like Mr. Freeze light, could've used more forensics. Shiva was just an excuse for ninjas, and a very underused one at that.

The crime scene sections were fantastic though. Exactly what I'd hoped to see in the first games, finally the World's Greatest Detective part of Batman got a look in.

Sarky wrote: »
    The crime scene sections were fantastic though. Exactly what I'd hoped to see in the first games, finally the World's Greatest Detective part of Batman got a look in.

Agreed. Really liked their inclusion, although they were a bit straight forward - scan here, scan there, rewind and follow a trail. A few puzzles within them or something a bit more involving would have been brilliant.

maximoose wrote: »
    Didn't pay much attention to the Worst Nightmare challenge track and now only at #5 after finishing the story. Balls. Get the feeling these won't be too easy on NGP

The Worst Nightmare are fine on NGP as they're stealth based, I've got to do 5 and up as I missed out on doing it in the bank. The rest are going well, sorted out shiva and got the critical and did 2 more in the 1 fight; shock + critical kills everything.

Sometime it is my fault but mostly it a combination of the frame rate hitting a wall, walls themselves, the camera changing, and the inconsistency in time for counters.
    The story is good....but...there were too many throwaway characters (basically ALL of them except Joker/Bane/Deathstroke) ...they felt like "filler'

Earlier in the game...Bane basically tries to kill Joker..and would have had Batman not saved Joker.

Deadshot is the only real filler, Croc was a bit light but was a good choice as the first throwaway assassin. Shiva was a prelude to the other games, and copperhead was interesting bar the shadowy circle of light part.

The electrocutioner was just to give batman a new gadget and show both how tough batman is and how crazy the joker is.

Without spoiling the ending (i'm STILL not finished it) can anyone tell me if it's possible to go back in and duff up some random goons after the story has concluded, like it was in Arkham City, or have they all gone away?

Like others, i don't fancy grinding out some of the challenges on NGP. Surely they wouldn't empty out the map of standard difficulty enemies, would they?
    ...I've only come across 1 bug twice in the game where I can't hit 1 criminal and he just walks around me.

I've come across quite a few bugs with goons stuck half inside a wall or just standing dead still and not doing anything. I had to mess up a predator encounter last night cos i couldn't silently take down a swat guy who was just standing aiming his sniper rifle at a wall, not moving. Wasn't getting any silent takedown prompt or anything, so i had to just capestun/beatdown him, alerting all his mates.

Had a weird one last night too, that forced me to reload from last save. I did a dive kick off a gargoyle at a goon, but in between me inputting the command and flying down and landing on him he walked behind a flat roof. I landed, dive-kicked the roof, went inside the roof for a second, then popped back out on to the roof and wasn't able to use any weapons or gadgets, jump, or do anything other than run.

I basically was just walking around getting shot at like a complete muppet, so i opened up a can of run the hell away and reloaded my checkpoint.:confused:

Yeah I'd agree with this. Even aside from it being way too complex and there being lots of complicated enemies and button presses to remember, the countering system is a bit erratic, and the dodgy camera doesn't help. I've been clobbered from behind too often by a goon i never saw coming because the camera was looking at another one i was attacking at the time, and sometimes attacking goons come out of nowhere or sprint across the screen and clatter you before you can do anything about it.

Using the evade to keep your combo going in this one is crucial. It's pretty much the only move you know you can use with no real negative consequences when you can't see what's coming. Never go for landing that one extra slap when you can't see what's behind you, evade out to a safer spot and keep your combo going instead.

Standard random goons are still all there, and plenty of crimes in progress still spawn. But, there are no 'predator rooms' left after you complete the story so you cant work on some of the dark knight challenges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

The fighting is easier for me in this one.

Do people realise that if you're in the middle of giving a padded guy a beatdown and someone attacks you, you can counter it and then go back to giving the padded guy a beatdown if you're quick enough, gets your combo X up quickly aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

The fighting is easier for me in this one.

Do people realise that if you're in the middle of giving a padded guy a beatdown and someone attacks you, you can counter it and then go back to giving the padded guy a beatdown if you're quick enough, gets your combo X up quickly aswell.

Yup, I did certainaly :)

Standard random goons are still all there, and plenty of crimes in progress still spawn. But, there are no 'predator rooms' left after you complete the story so you cant work on some of the dark knight challenges

What about in the challenge area in the batcave. Don't the challenge tasks work in there? I've been meaning to look but want to finish the story first.

There are a few outdoor predator rooftops and areas too, like the rooftop access into GCPD where the guys are patrolling around, that counts as a predator encounter because I've gotten achievements on it before. You could try getting them on that.

I wasn't anywhere near finishing those challenges when I beat the game, but I've completed more tasks around Gotham afterwards. I'm sure there's places to finish them. Although maybe the critical strikes one (needing tons of baddies) might be a hard get.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I wasn't anywhere near finishing those challenges when I beat the game, but I've completed more tasks around Gotham afterwards. I'm sure there's places to finish them. Although maybe the critical strikes one (needing tons of baddies) might be a hard get.

Not sure about after the story is done, but there are a few spots where there are a decenly sized bunch of mostly harmless goons to smack around. If you hang around outside the church and pick a fight with the goons at ground level there, loads more will run in to join the scrap. The vast majority of the time, the ones around that patch seem to be either unarmed or only packing knives, shields, etc, which the glue gun takes out of the equation nicely. I got the combo multiplier up and the shock gloves going and got the 20 critical strikes no bother, once you get into freeflow focus mode you can bounce around between them like a pinball.

The batwing dropoff point at jezebel plaza plonks you down into the middle of a nice big bunch of lads too, and more run to join in from the area close by. Just keep diving straight down towards the ground when you get dropped off from the batwing, don't veer off course. That's my "go to" spot for a scrap cos it's so easy to get to with the fast travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It's happening to me too. Sometimes I'm fighting great, free-flowing all over the place like a boss and then suddenly I'm getting slapped around 6/7 times even though there's only about 5 guys or so coming at me. Very inconsistent for me. Thought it was only me.

A lot of the boss characters are completely throw away and quite disappointing to be honest.

All the prerendered cutscenes are like slideshows for me. About 10-15 fps and the sound crackles too. By the end of the cutscenes the sound is out of sync. Very annoying.

If you miss the Worst nightmare 6 challenge to get the 4 specific shakedown there's a few chances to do it, the easiest and best option is in the bank the first time but a close second is again the bank which get's populated again for a fight later on in a side mission.

Anybody got any tips for
    the last part of the bane fight in/underneath blackgate prison, when he's pumped up on venom and stomping around the cell block.
    ?? I got to it last night but only got to play it for about ten minutes and haven't passed it yet.

Seems to be mostly stealth based but i'm getting pounded a lot due to the game's unwillingness to give me a "silent takedown" prompt when i sneak up from behind.

Glue grenades seem to help, but everything else I've tried is too hit and miss, and the damage penalty if you mess up is huge. What do i do?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,558 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Anybody got any tips for
    the last part of the bane fight in/underneath blackgate prison, when he's pumped up on venom and stomping around the cell block.
    ?? I got to it last night but only got to play it for about ten minutes and haven't passed it yet.

Seems to be mostly stealth based but i'm getting pounded a lot due to the game's unwillingness to give me a "silent takedown" prompt when i sneak up from behind.

Glue grenades seem to help, but everything else I've tried is too hit and miss, and the damage penalty if you mess up is huge. What do i do?
    Use the floor grates and stay close to electrified cells. When Bane comes, you can do a floor takedown which should knock him into the cell door and allow you to do a beatdown. Then hit him with a glue grenade, run like almighty f*ck and find another floor grate. The grate doesn't have to be directly at the cell door, but you need to be pointing the right way so it knocks him into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,781 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp, like Penn said. The way I did it was.

1st hit - Under a floor gate beside an electric cell door.
    2nd hit - In a wall grate across from a cell door (this can be tricky though as he will start searching grates.
    3rd hit - Hide behind a corner and perform a cover take cover takedown.

Other than that, keep tapping R2 to slow him down with glue grenades and throw smoke around a grate area to help you surprise him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Game breaking glitch in the fireflys bombs mission. You have to charge an elevator to get to some goons on the other side but the elevator doesn't budge. I'm only renting the game so will have to return it, damn this game:mad: I was enjoying it too up until this point.

Game breaking glitch in the fireflys bombs mission. You have to charge an elevator to get to some goons on the other side but the elevator doesn't budge....

From GameFAQs:

"Throw a smoke bomb towards the left side of the breakable wall, then just start punching non-stop on the left side of the elevator facing the breakable wall. If you're lucky, you'll float past it to the wall, just keep punching til the wall breaks"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/710576-batman-arkham-origins/67641788?page=1

The devs really ought to hang their heads in shame after the buggy and badly designed shambles this game has been since release. The increasing trend this generation to rush stuff out to market without enough testing and then fix it with a patch is really disrespectful to players, especially if you can't even get all the bugs.

Shame on you Warner. Your customers are not unpaid beta testers! :mad:

Thankfully I already got the wall take-down challenge but when you upgrade the explosive gel to proximity it goes off a when you don't want it. So basically if you upgrade the proximity gel you're never getting past Worst nightmare 6 and would need to start a whole new game save to do it.

Having to go after the 20 blackgate prisoners and that cold case, they added a bit too much to the game. There's plenty in the game, considering you've got 3 replays you can do and then you've got the MP and challenge rooms as well so they really didn't need to pad it out as much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

From GameFAQs:

"Throw a smoke bomb towards the left side of the breakable wall, then just start punching non-stop on the left side of the elevator facing the breakable wall. If you're lucky, you'll float past it to the wall, just keep punching til the wall breaks"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/710576-batman-arkham-origins/67641788?page=1

The devs really ought to hang their heads in shame after the buggy and badly designed shambles this game has been since release. The increasing trend this generation to rush stuff out to market without enough testing and then fix it with a patch is really disrespectful to players, especially if you can't even get all the bugs.

Shame on you Warner. Your customers are not unpaid beta testers! :mad:

Thanks for that. Half an hour of mind numbing throwing smoke pellets and punching thin air but it worked in the end. Hopefully it will be the last glitch I encounter.

Advertisement