Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Origins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I was late to the Arkham party, and got both previous games in GOTY form but I might have to pick this up on release (hate the pre-order bonus crap too). But they were just really fun to play, and this looks like being no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The formula they used with these games has been perfect since the beginning, and they are fine tuning it every time, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Agree with above about the colours. Great seeing that indoor location with the christmas tree and lights. The new martial arts enemies look class as well being able to counter your moves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It would be nice if you could drive the Batmobile or a mission with the Batwing, i'd like to see the Batcave again like we did with Arkham Asylum. I personally love the Riddler stuff....it greatly extends the life cycle of the game as you collect those 440 trophies!

I have 428 collected in AS, few more elude me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

It would be nice if you could drive the Batmobile or a mission with the Batwing, i'd like to see the Batcave again like we did with Arkham Asylum. I personally love the Riddler stuff....it greatly extends the life cycle of the game as you collect those 440 trophies!

I have 428 collected in AS, few more elude me.....

I was stuck on 430 something for months. Ended up going online to track down the last few. Cheating, I know, but they were still a lot of fun to do. Plus I really wanted to get into the Joker's hideout.

• Advertisement

Yeah, way too many riddler trophies in AC but still had a laugh doing them all, except for the ones I couldn't figure out and had to look up ol' google :)

I think I read somewhere that the riddler will be replaced by another villain in AO that will have his own secrets to solve. must look that up

Lots of Batman stuff on sale on PSN store today

Valid 12th to 19th June:
    Batman: Arkham City
    Was €29.99/£19.99 – Now €14.99/£11.99

Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Was €19.99/£15.99 – Now €9.99/£7.99

LEGO Batman: The Videogame [PSP]
    Was €19.99/£15.99 – Now €9.99/£7.99

LEGO® Batman™ 2: DC Super Heroes [PS Vita]
    Was €24.99/£19.99 – Now €12.49/£9.89

LEGO® Batman™ 2: DC Super Heroes
    Was €29.99/£19.99 – Now €14.99/£11.99

Batman: Arkham City – The Arkham Bundle
    Was €14.99/£10.99 – Now €6.99/£5.49

Batman: Arkham City – Catwoman Bundle Pack
    Was €9.99/£7.99 – Now €4.99/£3.99

Batman: Arkham City ‘Harley Quinn’s Revenge’

Batman Arkham City Skins and Challenge Map Pack

Batman: Arkham City – Nightwing Bundle Pack
    Was €6.99/£5.49 – Now €3.49/£2.79

Batman: Arkham City – Robin Bundle Pack
    Was €6.99/£5.49 – Now €3.49/£2.79

Batman: Arkham City – Arkham City Skins Pack
    Was €4.99/£3.99 – Now €2.49/£1.99

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think I might go back and do the Riddler trophies myself now. Can't remember how many I had, but I know the ones that involved gliding and wall jumping were the ones I didn't bother trying to get. And maybe a few Catwoman ones as well.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Think I might go back and do the Riddler trophies myself now. Can't remember how many I had, but I know the ones that involved gliding and wall jumping were the ones I didn't bother trying to get. And maybe a few Catwoman ones as well.

ha!......that challenge of gliding off one wall to another and then glide to the ground took me literally hundreads of attempts to master :( - drive me near mental.

I'm crap at flying, i did complete all the AR training but it took alot of attempts..... :(

One thing i discovered by accident, flying the batarang....i could never get it to fly straight! :mad: i was always fighting the joystick for control. then by accident i found out if you move the controller even slightly the built in gyros actually control flight.

So while the batarang was moving i was moving the dual shock around + moving the analog stick, so of course the feckin batarang was moving all over the place :rolleyes:

Took me days to figure this out....lol, now anytime i fly a batarang i keep the controller perfectly flat and dont move it....and using the analog stick to fly works very easily now :o

Origins stage show starts in a few mins.

http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/stage-2-day-2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Jesus, it's only been a couple of months since I finally finished AC 100%.

The trailer looks good and I would normally be of the opinion that if it's not broke then don't fix it, but so far the game looks really lacking of any rely new innovations and almost stale.
    I wonder will it become like CoD.

WB replacing Rocksteady seems like a cheap cop out or even cheat; 'you lay all the ground work and we'll give you the boot and re-use your hard work all over again.'

It seems even stranger that they wouldn't want to hold off try to launch this on the ps4 or xbox one....we've already seen their capacity for open world environments, as well as superior graphics from the video of Tom Clancys The Division doing the rounds.

Here's the stage demo for anyone who missed it.

@senordingdong, I think the current rumour is that Rocksteady have not been replaced at all and are working on another, seperate Arkham game for 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Jesus, it's only been a couple of months since I finally finished AC 100%.

The trailer looks good and I would normally be of the opinion that if it's not broke then don't fix it, but so far the game looks really lacking of any rely new innovations and almost stale.
    I wonder will it become like CoD.

WB replacing Rocksteady seems like a cheap cop out or even cheat; 'you lay all the ground work and we'll give you the boot and re-use your hard work all over again.'

It seems even stranger that they wouldn't want to hold off try to launch this on the ps4 or xbox one....we've already seen their capacity for open world environments, as well as superior graphics from the video of Tom Clancys The Division doing the rounds.

I thought the rumour was there's another game with Conroy doing the voice acting and made by rocksteady due next year?

If that is true then as you said it sounds very cod like, even down to the alternating the company making the game.

However I will play as many batmans as they throw at me because they are amazing.

However I will play as many batmans as they throw at me because they are amazing.

There was a time when we would have said the same of CoD.

If it is true that there will be two lines of games than that is even more disappointing than that trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

First 16 mins is gameplay then a interview, a good watch.

Is the interview worth watching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

There was a time when we would have said the same of CoD.

Plus one on this.

Assassin's Creed is in danger of this at the moment as well. Saying that, at least they seem to change it up rather than same game, different skin like CoD. AC3 was clearly rushed though, and AC4 is make or break for me with AC.

If they continue to make quality, challenging and (to a certain extent) innovative Batman games, then I'll have no problem.

If it descends into an Multiplayer Brofest....

Anyways, sorry slightly off topic, and speculative!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

ConFurioso wrote: »
    Plus one on this.

Assassin's Creed is in danger of this at the moment as well. Saying that, at least they seem to change it up rather than same game, different skin like CoD. AC3 was clearly rushed though, and AC4 is make or break for me with AC.

If they continue to make quality, challenging and (to a certain extent) innovative Batman games, then I'll have no problem.

If it descends into an Multiplayer Brofest....

Anyways, sorry slightly off topic, and speculative!

There is something to be said for not changing something for the sake of it. The combat in AA and AC was brilliant, and was widely liked. Why change it? You change things people didn't like.

I'll be honest, I was terrified when I heard that the team wasn't working on the game and a brand new WB studio was doing it instead. I was worried they would ruin the game. Once I saw that gameplay clip, I was very relieved. They haven't messed around with it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game. They are just aiming to take what Rocksteady did and make it better. No harm in that.

"Innovation" is overrated. There are times when you are willing to try some fancy new dish you have never heard of and that looks bizarre. But sometimes you just want that juicy steak cooked the way you like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I think they outsourced this to give rocksteady more time to work on the next gen Batman game they probably feel that two years is enough of a gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Kirby wrote: »
    There is something to be said for not changing something for the sake of it. The combat in AA and AC was brilliant, and was widely liked. Why change it? You change things people didn't like.

I'll be honest, I was terrified when I heard that the team wasn't working on the game and a brand new WB studio was doing it instead. I was worried they would ruin the game. Once I saw that gameplay clip, I was very relieved. They haven't messed around with it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game. They are just aiming to take what Rocksteady did and make it better. No harm in that.

"Innovation" is overrated. There are times when you are willing to try some fancy new dish you have never heard of and that looks bizarre. But sometimes you just want that juicy steak cooked the way you like it.

Which is why I said innovation to a certain extent. ;)

Saying that, a steak cooked just right is amazing, but I wouldn't want to eat steak everyday! It's nice to change it up as well.

I don't think 'if it's broke, don't fix it' can work forever on a game imo. It is a fine line, admittedly.

• Advertisement

I think it's worth mentioning that Arkham has something that COD and it's ilk will never have; a story driving the action. Not only that, but they're stories from a universe built on story-telling, with infamous and loved characters. If the stories are kept fresh, and the devs can draw on the huge mythos and character pool, I don't see any reason why there can't be more quality Arkham games from either studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I think it's worth mentioning that Arkham has something that COD and it's ilk will never have; a story driving the action. Not only that, but they're stories from a universe built on story-telling, with infamous and loved characters. If the stories are kept fresh, and the devs can draw on the huge mythos and character pool, I don't see any reason why there can't be more quality Arkham games from either studio.

I remember when CoD had a story. (It still does, AFAIK.)

they have added a few new combat moves, a few new gagets, added more armoured enemies, but the basics are still the same. even gotham is the same with added snow on the ground....even AC had snowing, they probably touched up the streets a bit with xmas stuff,

new story, cut scenes, baddies...probably expand the crimes in progress side mission to make it a bigger part of the game, various other side missions. overall not alot is new, its the same but just enhanced and stuff added on top.

with a game like arkham this is no bad thing, just give us lots to do...extended the playtime to completion and i'll be happy. lots of DLC....not just feckin skins and challenge maps, missions!...single player missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Cheating, I know,

I really doubt there are many people who collected them all without having to look a few up, I certainly didn't!

maximoose wrote: »
    I really doubt there are many people who collected them all without having to look a few up, I certainly didn't!

:o

overall not alot is new, its the same but just enhanced and stuff added on top.

+1
    It turns out that interview was not worth watching.

-Younger, grittier Batman.
    -xmas, black mask is in charge
    -new gadget double claw thing
    -tweaked det. mode
    -no Conroy or Hamill
    -martial arts + juggernaut baddies

How they managed to stretch that out for 16mins is flabbergasting.
    I hate to sound like a broken record but watching that reveal was seriously reminiscent of a CoD reveal...minor tweaking, trying to pass it off as a whole new game, and talking about it at length.

There was a huge leap between AA and AC, but only a tiny leap from AC to AO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Just thinking out loud.

Seeing as AC had so many gadgets, and new ones after AA, wouldn't it make sense if AO, a prequel, had less gadgets.

And how would you explain gadgets in AO that don't appear in AA? Prototypes that don't work?

What gadgets would batman possess that would enhance the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

WB Montreal said that they would not sacrifice good gameplay for the sake of continuity. With that being the case they said they would address these continuity errors in the story or in sequels. So we have the "prototype" grapnel boost from AC making a return.

To be honest I completely agree with their view. It would suck playin batman in Gotham and not being able to glide the way we're used to. The purists might hate that but I think theyre doing the right thing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Lack of continuity? Then it'll be exactly like the comics. :) Can just say it was due to Flashpoint or one of the crises. :)

• Advertisement

I finally got all 440 Riddler trophies! :D , well chuffed :cool:

Advertisement