Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long&short hair cat from same litter?

• 12-02-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Just wondering is it common to have 1 long haired cat & 1 short haired cat come from the same litter? Its probably a silly question lol but i have 2 cat from the same litter & always found it odd that one is long haired,the mother was shorted haired but no idea about the father. As far as i know the others from the litter were short haired.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's not uncommon for a female cat to mate with more than one male, so kittens in one litter can be from more than one father :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

Alun wrote: »
    It's not uncommon for a female cat to mate with more than one male, so kittens in one litter can be from more than one father :)

Ohh really,that could explain it then lol thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yeah, female cats only release eggs when a male mates with them, rather than at the beginning of oestrus, so they can effectively already be pregnant from the first tom when the second one pays a visit and they'll just release more eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's possible all right. My cat was one of a litter of two. Mother was a Persian (long haired), father a British Blue. (short). One of the kittens looked like a proper Persian. Mine was the dead spit of his father, and looked like a British Shorthair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I rescued a litter of seven kittens last summer. Four were white, one black and white and the other two were torties. Definitely had more than one dad in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Same with my pair, one is a typical tuxedo black and white short hair - the other has a look of a norweigan forest cat, a regal looking long haired fluff ball.

Sometimes I chant 'whose your daddy?' at them. :o

Heres a pic of Lucy. Their mother is ginger & white.

And this is Daisy :)

Advertisement