Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contact names disappeared

• 12-02-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

My iPhone 4 has all of a sudden stopped showing my contact names. My favourites list is now just a list of numbers. SMS and calls no longer have the contact name appearing. I have not done anything different with the phone the past couple of days, have not updated the software or installed any new apps. This has just happened out of the blue! It is not jail broken. What can I do to fix this?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

First off, I would take a backup of what is there using this free app

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/my-contacts-backup/id446784593?mt=8

Then I would delete the contacts and sync your phone with itunes and hopefully they will re-appear.

Failing that, at least you can restore what you have from the app.

It really depends on if you are backup up to your pc or cloud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

There were no contacts for me to back up unfortunately.

I connected to iTunes, backed up the phone, restored it and it is still the same as before. It seems that it is the contacts from my sim that are not missing and when I "import contacts from sim" nothing happens. Take the contact "Dad" for example. When I search for Dad, I get no contact. However when I go to write a message and write Dad into the contacts box, his name and number appears! However I cannot find it in the contacts if you know what I mean? It seems the contacts from my sim are there somewhere but only appear when I go to write a message...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

My contacts disappeared from my iPhone 5 last week just after I updated to iOS6.1. Exact same scenario as you in that the names appeared when I went to send a text but no names appeared in contacts list.

After emailing, talking, more emailing and more talking to Apple support, they reckoned the contacts disappeared as part of the update (during which I also signed up to iCloud) and they were gone.
    I only have the phone a short time and hadnt done any backup but also had my old Nokia so I just entered the names again which, while annoying as hell, at least didnt leave me high and dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Try restoring again but this time pick the second most recent backup instead of the most recent

Probably a silly question but how do I pick the second most recent backup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

When you click restore I'm nearly sure it asks what backup to use if there is more than one, when did you last backup

guil wrote: »
    When you click restore I'm nearly sure it asks what backup to use if there is more than one, when did you last backup
    I backed up in December prior to yesterday - that would be perfect as I'm more mourning the contacts I have had for years rather than the recent numbers. It's just frustrating as I can find the contacts when I go to write a message but nowhere other than that!

Advertisement