Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have to give up my beagle puppy

• 12-02-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Sadly I don't have time to give him the attention he deserves. That and my garden is not big enough for him to run around to exercise.

I've already gone to an animal rescue centre and he's on a waiting list, but it's hard having him around the house when I know he's going.

Has anyone had to give up a dog before? Never had to do this before and it's really hard, but I know it's the right choice. It's just the waiting. I'd like him re-homed ASAP to good owners

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

how old is he? have you contacted the breeder, that should be the first port of call, if a reputable, responsible breeder, they will want him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

ISDW wrote: »
    how old is he? have you contacted the breeder, that should be the first port of call, if a reputable, responsible breeder, they will want him back.

8 months. Texting them was the first thing I did, but they never got back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Macronelf wrote: »
    Sadly I don't have time to give him the attention he deserves. That and my garden is not big enough for him to run around to exercise.

I've already gone to an animal rescue centre and he's on a waiting list, but it's hard having him around the house when I know he's going.

Has anyone had to give up a dog before? Never had to do this before and it's really hard, but I know it's the right choice. It's just the waiting. I'd like him re-homed ASAP to good owners

Firstly, your garden is not where you exercise your dog, that is where he is contained. He should be exercised out on walks, runs, cycles, etc.
    How old is the dog? Did you not know the size of your garden etc and the time you had for the dog before you got him?

Why does he need to be gone asap?

Have you contacted the breeder? As ISDW said, this is the first thing that should be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

8 months. Texting them was the first thing I did, but they never got back to me.

Ring them?

Thats not good enough, ring them or call back to their house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

You need to call the breeder. If they are reputable and if you have all the legal and proper papers they will want him back. They will also be able to sort a home for him with someone who has researched the breed and understands the needs of a Beagle. Please persist with the breeder, animal shelters are over run and under funded especially at this time of year with so many people returning their Christmas puppy presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

andreac wrote: »

Thats not good enough, ring them or call back to their house.

I will do that.

I only said ASAP as I have to visit my dad in England and have no one to watch him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I will do that.

I only said ASAP as I have to visit my dad in England and have no one to watch him

Put him in a kennels, where do you live, someone will recommend a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

If you do not have it sorted with the breeder before you go put him into boarding kennels. There are lots available at reasonable rates.

I will do that.

Boarding Kennels??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

andreac wrote: »
    Firstly, your garden is not where you exercise your dog, that is where he is contained. He should be exercised out on walks, runs, cycles, etc.
    How old is the dog? Did you not know the size of your garden etc and the time you had for the dog before you got him?

Why does he need to be gone asap?

Have you contacted the breeder? As ISDW said, this is the first thing that should be done.

Agree. Also, if your breeder cannot be contacted that is a bad sign. I work in a voluntary clinic and the amount of people presenting with "purebreds" who can no longer contact the breeder when something goes wrong is unbelievable. Was it a puppy farmer?
    Beagles are very hyper and this energy needs to be channeled properly otherwise you end up with a dog with "behavioural problems" who will be passed from Billy to jack because he looks cute but will eventually end up in the pound. I rescued one before who had been brought back 3 times.
    Please try one of the shelters with a no kill policy (this does not include DSPCA which might surprise some people) - maybe <snip>? Hope it works out for both of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

OP is looking for advice, not a lecture.

Call breeder

Try boarding kennels

Try Shelter with no kill policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP where in the country are you. Someone might be able to suggest a boarding kennel close to you in case you don't manage to rehome the dog before your trip to England.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    Let's stay on topic here. OP is looking for specific options. There is absolutely no point now in conjecturing whether the dog is a puppy-farmed dog, whether he has paperwork etc, none of this stuff matters right now.
    The dog needs out of where he is. Whether that means going back to the breeder (if the breeder can be contacted), going to a boarding facility, or going to a new home, but let's not harangue the OP on matters outside of what's needed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

PS Can I also remind everyone not to name or link to rescue groups on-forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Macronelf..

ok so i had typed a huge reply, but decided to delete it, I'm too angry, and my post would have been harsh but true.

My only advice to you is dont ever get another dog.

A dog is for life... like his life span - 15 years or so, not just 8 months.

I hope it works out for the dog.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

I have to agree with the moderator. No judging, it's about the dog.
    OP, feel free to pm me with details requirements. Do not put your dog into a pound. as a surrender, he could be killed the moment he walks through the door and you sign him over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Where are you OP? I might be interested in taking him. I already have a Beagle and would love another one.

cocker5 wrote: »
    Macronelf..

ok so i had typed a huge reply, but decided to delete it, I'm too angry, and my post would have been harsh but true.

My only advice to you is dont ever get another dog.

A dog is for life... like his life span - 15 years or so, not just 8 months.

I hope it works out for the dog.

:(

Ah c'mon!
    Sometimes, just sometimes, people have to let their dog go for very genuine reasons. Yes, it's awful, but sometimes life throws things at you and you have to make some pretty fundamental changes to the way you do things.
    Sometimes, these changes mean that a dog is no longer going to be able to be cared for in as great a way as he was, and the owner, genuinely, feels that it's not fair on the dog to keep him. Changes in life may mean the dog is going to be left alone for longer periods, or otherwise not enjoy an optimal quality of life.
    In these cases, and they are pretty common, it is actually fairer, for the dog, to be rehomed.
    I got a new dog a little over a year ago, her owner advertised her here on this forum, under very similar circumstances as the OP here. Her owner got 4 pages of abuse about how cruel she was to rehome her dog.
    Let me tell you now, that not one person would have said what they said to her had they known the personal circumstances behind the rehoming: it was not necessary for her to spew her personal situation on a public forum. I adopted that dog, and never said it on here, because it was nobody else's bloody business, and I was not going to open myself to this sort of judgemental crap, spewed out in the absence of knowing what the actual real story is behind the rehoming circumstances. I also rehome dozens of dogs every year to new homes, the majority of them surrendered because their owners just can't manage any more for very, very genuine reasons. In these cases, the owners are devastated to let their dogs go, but they're doing it because they want the best for their dog, rather than keep it in less than ideal conditions.
    Now, I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but until you know more, stop being so bloody judgmental.

I’m sorry DBB you are entitled to your opinion just as much as I am….
    Over my years I have seen more non genuine reasons for rehoming than as a last resort. I work with some local shelters in my area.

IMO not having enough time, or garden not being big enough are not sufficient, yes circumstances change, but IMO you adapt to the situation, by making changes etc. not be rehoming a dog.

As im sure you are aware the pounds / shelters / ISPCA’s are BURTSING with dogs (and other pets) put up for adoption by their owners, many of whom claim “not enough time”, not “enough space” or the latest one is “emigration”. IMO just isn’t good enough.

You are entitled to disagree with me as I am with you.

And another thing:
    stop being so bloody judgmental….

As a moderator of this forum Im surprise of your use of language.

• Advertisement

IMO not having enough time, or garden not being big enough are not sufficient, yes circumstances change, but IMO you adapt to the situation, by making changes etc. not be rehoming a dog.

As im sure you are aware the pounds / shelters / ISPCA’s are BURTSING with dogs (and other pets) put up for adoption by their owners, many of whom claim “not enough time”, not “enough space” or the latest one is “emigration”. IMO just isn’t good enough.

But you've completely missed my point. Based on the OP, you have no idea, no idea whatsoever, why the OP needs to rehome their dog. Until you do, hold your judgement.
    I am more than well aware why people rehome their dogs, I'm stuck with dealing with it every day, I assure you, but even though I'm cleaning up other people's problems all the time, I can still objectively see that there is often more to it than some shallow excuse. Save your vitriol for the people who genuinely do give up their dog on a whim.
    And another thing:
    stop being so bloody judgmental….

As a moderator of this forum Im surprise of your use of language.

Oh, for crying out loud. The old "tut, tut, you're a moderator" chestnut. Don't give me that Cocker5, it's a cheap, hackneyed, foundless shot.
    If you're offended with my use of the word "bloody", then report it. I'm just as open to sanction as anyone else is, if the other mods see fit.

DBB wrote: »
    Ah c'mon!
    Sometimes, just sometimes, people have to let their dog go for very genuine reasons. Yes, it's awful, but sometimes life throws things at you and you have to make some pretty fundamental changes to the way you do things.
    Sometimes, these changes mean that a dog is no longer going to be able to be cared for in as great a way as he was, and the owner, genuinely, feels that it's not fair on the dog to keep him. Changes in life may mean the dog is going to be left alone for longer periods, or otherwise not enjoy an optimal quality of life.
    In these cases, and they are pretty common, it is actually fairer, for the dog, to be rehomed.
    I got a new dog a little over a year ago, her owner advertised her here on this forum, under very similar circumstances as the OP here. Her owner got 4 pages of abuse about how cruel she was to rehome her dog.
    Let me tell you now, that not one person would have said what they said to her had they known the personal circumstances behind the rehoming: it was not necessary for her to spew her personal situation on a public forum. I adopted that dog, and never said it on here, because it was nobody else's bloody business, and I was not going to open myself to this sort of judgemental crap, spewed out in the absence of knowing what the actual real story is behind the rehoming circumstances. I also rehome dozens of dogs every year to new homes, the majority of them surrendered because their owners just can't manage any more for very, very genuine reasons. In these cases, the owners are devastated to let their dogs go, but they're doing it because they want the best for their dog, rather than keep it in less than ideal conditions.
    Now, I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but until you know more, stop being so bloody judgmental.

Nobody is saying she is being cruel to rehome the dog (in fact, I dont think anyone has said that. I dont think any reasonable person would have a problem with someone making the decision and taking responsibility, but a lot of what is being said here smacks of someone who simply should not have had a dog in the first place. The very fact that OP said "the garden is not big enough for a dog to exercise" - newsflash - no garden is big enough for a dog to exercise unless you interact with it. You can't just lump a dog into a "big" garden and expect it to entertain itself. Also, you only have to type "beagle personality" into a search engine to see how much work they are - even those very experienced with dogs have their hands full with them.

So, whereas there is no point judging OP for trying to rehome the dog (the right decision) there is certainly nothing wrong with pointing out that buying a dog without researching the breed and expecting a big garden to suffice as an activity centre are not good moves for any dog owner. I dont think there is anything wrong with highlighting this. I've spent years cleaning up other people's mess and indeed all my animals are other people's rubbish. I dont mind, I am happy to have them but the problem is bigger than all of us.

And while you are right that nobody knows anyone else's private reasons, the only thing we have to go on is what they choose to share here.

I get the feeling this is a very sensitive topic for you, you are accusing others of being judgmental and using vitriol which I have not seen on this thread tbh. Just sensible people voicing opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Slightly off topic and my first and last word on the matter. While it may be harsh to judge op, its difficult for the all the dog lovers on this forum and the people who help out and volunteer with rescues to see these posts day after day after day. Its seems worse than ever this week.

I just wish people would think ahead when getting a dog.

We cant forsee all eventualities that may befall us but i do believe that too many people tire of and get rid of their dogs too quickly.

i hope the poor little dog gets a new home.

DBB,

I have no interest I getting in a “spat” or anything like it on this forum that is why in my original post I said I “deleted the longer” post as I felt I was too angry writing it.

From the OP initial post
    Sadly I don't have time to give him the attention he deserves. That and my garden is not big enough for him to run around to exercise. His words not mine……

That pretty much sums up everything I said in my last post. So I feel from the information provided I do know the reasons for rehoming and IMO there are not warranted.

And I wasn’t "tut, tut, you're a moderator" chestnut. I am honestly surprised that all.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

Things can get a bit heated when we are talking about something we care. A dog is a life and we all cherish them in our own way. I know folks here might feel strong about their belief in whats best for the dog. I am very happy to see that underneath all the anger, you are all good folks. I think it is your love for the dog that has made this a heated issue. Take a moment to reflect what the other person is feeling, then start helping the OP. The Beagle is sure lucky to have so many caring people here.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I get the feeling this is a very sensitive topic for you, you are accusing others of being judgmental and using vitriol which I have not seen on this thread tbh. Just sensible people voicing opinions.

Do you not think that someone being told they should never own a dog again is not being judgmental, no? Is this really "sensible" advice?
    I don't know if "sensitive" is quite the right word. What is more correct is that I disagree with people being unfair to one another when they don;t have all the facts.
    I think it's wrong for anyone to come on here and berate the OP without knowing the full reasons behind why the dog needs to be rehomed. Now, for all we know, the only reason the OP wants to rehome the dog is because the garden is too small, and if that's the case, then perhaps the OP needs a wake-up call. But we don't know that. For all we know, there is something very personal going on with the OP that they don't want to, nor need to share with us here.

So, my point, once again is, until people know more, save the lectures, save the judgements etc.

My last point on the matter people are entitled to their opinions just as much as the moderators are.

I stand by what i have posted with regard to this topic.

I hope it works out well for the dog.

:o

DBB,

From the OP initial post
    Sadly I don't have time to give him the attention he deserves. That and my garden is not big enough for him to run around to exercise. His words not mine……

That pretty much sums up everything I said in my last post. So I feel from the information provided I do know the reasons for rehoming and IMO there are not warranted.

As I said above, you don't know that the OP doesn't have something awful that's just happened in their life: it is none of our business if it has. The example I gave of me getting a dog from a similar post was almost identical. The OP in that case put up a short post saying that they needed to rehome their dog for X reason. They were lambasted, and just like here, told they should never own a dog, they were bad owners, etc etc. But actually, as it turns out, they had suffered a terrible family trauma. They were super owners, as it turns out. But circumstances had taken a terrible turn for the worst and they had to let this dog go.
    Nobody could tell that from their OP, so what should have happened? The OP post some horrible personal news just so that everyone here knows the real reason they have to rehome their dog? Or, as happens all the time, in the absence of sensitive, personal information, the OP is presumptuously pulled apart and told they should never own a dog again?
    Seriously, until we have all the facts, we need to modulate our own style of posting until we know more, because the stuff that was said to the OP in my dog's case was so, so hurtful to her, because it was patently untrue.
    Again, let me reiterate, perhaps the OP here is rehoming their dog for shallow reasons. But we have no way of knowing, and may never know. But until we do, we need to save our nasty comments for those that perhaps deserve them. And even then, it's not an effective way to make someone amend their ways.
    In some cases, saying that we could only go on what the OP said just isn't a good enough excuse for people to have a go at them. Sometimes, we need to appreciate that there may be more to this than meets the eye.
    And I wasn’t "tut, tut, you're a moderator" chestnut. I am honestly surprised that all.

Surprised at what? You brought the whole moderator thing into it, so what exactly is it you're surprised at that has to do with me being a moderator?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭Bertie Woot

So sad to hear you are having to give up your doggy. I had a beautiful Labrador dog for 5 years, and whilst the first 3 years were a joy and a privilege, after a while having to take the dog out for walks twice a day went from being a pleasurable experience to a chore and a routine responsibility. I had no-one to occasionally take the dog out and give me a break, and for a very brief moment I contemplated giving the dog up for adoption, but quickly banished the notion when I thought of going out some day and seeing my dog being walked by someone else. So in the end I kept my dog and treasured every moment.

If you don't have time to give the dog the level of attention it requires and the garden space is too small, then perhaps re-homing is the best option. Do whatever you think is best for the animal. They come first. I'm sure he/she will find another loving home and be taken well care of. You did your best and should not feel guilty for attempting to provide the dog with the level of attention that it now requires and which you are unfortunately unable to provide.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

The fact is that if after 8 months the OP has realised that the garden is not big enough for exercising his beagle, they did no research into looking after a dog beforehand. It would seem to me that the OP never planned on walking this dog. The garden suddenly shrinking would be a change of circumstances. People with full time jobs can manage to give their dogs more than enough time and attention. So both of these excuses (the oldest in the book) are more than likely cover-ups for a more honest reason to get rid of the dog.

Chances are that without adequate exercise and attention, the beagle has gotten very destructive and noisy, and OP is fed up.

I can accept that people sometimes need to rehome their dogs, but texting the breeder, and needing the dog gone ASAP despite kennels being an obvious solution to not having a dog sitter, suggests that the OP has other reasons for getting rid of the dog.

And if there is one thing i despise, it's people that lie to potential rehomers about the reason they can no longer keep the dog. it is detrimental that new owners know all of the facts before they end up discovering that the dog has serious issues they were not made aware of.

There is nothing wrong with saying "Due to serious personal issues, I can no longer keep my dog". Taking the time to say "I don't have time for him and he's not getting exercised" doesn't even come close.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement