Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have to give up my beagle puppy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

Didn't have time to read through everything but has anyone suggested an on-line source?

When my Mother lost her old dog to cancer last year we found a 3yo wonderful dog locally on Craigs list. Not sure if Ireland has a Craigs List but if so it might be worth the time for the OP to take a pic of the pup and put it up for adoption with a small fee.

Here in the states it is recommended to put a fee (even a small one) on dogs/cats being adopted so mean people will not get them to fight (or for bait) which is a problem here.

Somebody would probably be happy to adopt your pup and that is a great age to adopt him out. At that age usually they have had their shots and are somewhat trained.

Wish you the best! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

cocker5 wrote: »
    My last point on the matter people are entitled to their opinions just as much as the moderators are.

I stand by what i have posted with regard to this topic.

I hope it works out well for the dog.

:o

Now hold on there Cocker5, and I meant to bring this up before.
    I resent the suggestion that I am somehow stopping you from giving your opinion. And despite you saying you weren't pulling the "tut tut, you're a moderator card", here you are again, bringing the moderator thing into it again. Why? What has being a moderator got to do with this? I have made it clear, I am just as entitled to post as you are, regardless of whether I'm a mod or not. It's such a cheap shot.
    I am not stopping you give you opinion, and to suggest I am is yet another cheap shot.
    I am challenging your opinion, as is anyone's right on this discussion forum. I am challenging the fact that you think it's okay to say a pretty offensive and hurtful thing to the OP without knowing the full story. It's just too easy to throw out such hurtful lines when you';re not face to face with somebody, and as long as I see anyone treating another unfairly, I will always intervene, and I have a record of doing so long before I ever became a mod.
    This is nothing to do with me expressing an opinion, this is because I have a shockingly strong sense of justice, and I will never, ever let somebody post in such a potentially hurtful way to another person when they have no grounds to do so, here in this forum, or in real life. Saying that you only have the OP to go on is just not good enough, I think I've already explained why it's not good enough.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    The fact is that if after 8 months the OP has realised that the garden is not big enough for exercising his beagle, they did no research into looking after a dog beforehand. It would seem to me that the OP never planned on walking this dog. The garden suddenly shrinking would be a change of circumstances. People with full time jobs can manage to give their dogs more than enough time and attention. So both of these excuses (the oldest in the book) are more than likely cover-ups for a more honest reason to get rid of the dog.

Chances are that without adequate exercise and attention, the beagle has gotten very destructive and noisy, and OP is fed up.

I can accept that people sometimes need to rehome their dogs, but texting the breeder, and needing the dog gone ASAP despite kennels being an obvious solution to not having a dog sitter, suggests that the OP has other reasons for getting rid of the dog.

I'm not arguing that all of this may be true... but maybe it isn't. I think that in the absence of knowing exactly why the OP needs to rehome the dog, there are some assumptions being made here. Don't get me wrong, it's entirely likely these are the real reasons the OP is rehoming the dog, but there is a chance they're not. They have to visit their dad in the UK, the dog needs to go in a hurry... is it not possible that the OP's dad has had some bad news, and needs his son/daughter over there asap? Does the OP really need to tell us this stuff? No.
    There is nothing wrong with saying "Due to serious personal issues, I can no longer keep my dog". Taking the time to say "I don't have time for him and he's not getting exercised" doesn't even come close.

Perhaps, but if the OP isn't au fait with how these threads tend to go in this forum, perhaps they hadn't the foresight to pitch their OP in a way that wouldn't draw such ire, and such assumptions from other posters?
    Again, using my own personal experience of this, this was precisely the case with my OP. She innocently drew 4 pages of nastiness on herself: her post was almost identical to this OP, but with a different reason for needing to rehome. A different reason, but still one which people jumped to enormous, and wrong as it happens, conclusions about. I kid you not when I tell you that this woman was in tears over how people here addressed her. I was mortified.

I'm not disagreeing that sometimes people rehome their dogs for pretty pathetic reasons.. I run a rescue, and see the very worst in people. But I think it's wrong to jump to conclusions, and post hurtful comments, when people don't know the full story.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

DBB wrote: »
    I'm not arguing that all of this may be true... but maybe it isn't. I think that in the absence of knowing exactly why the OP needs to rehome the dog, there are some assumptions being made here.

Typical A+P forum reactions to be completely honest.I remember this argument doing the rounds a while back.People assuming that they know every single bit of another posters life and assuming the worst.

But I think it's wrong to jump to conclusions, and post hurtful comments, when people don't know the full story.

I agree completely.Users need be to given the benefit of the doubt when we dont know their personal circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'm not arguing that all of this may be true... but maybe it isn't. I think that in the absence of knowing exactly why the OP needs to rehome the dog, there are some assumptions being made here. Don't get me wrong, it's entirely likely these are the real reasons the OP is rehoming the dog, but there is a chance they're not. They have to visit their dad in the UK, the dog needs to go in a hurry... is it not possible that the OP's dad has had some bad news, and needs his son/daughter over there asap? Does the OP really need to tell us this stuff? No.

Perhaps, but if the OP isn't au fait with how these threads tend to go in this forum, perhaps they hadn't the foresight to pitch their OP in a way that wouldn't draw such ire, and such assumptions from other posters?
    Again, using my own personal experience of this, this was precisely the case with my OP. She innocently drew 4 pages of nastiness on herself: her post was almost identical to this OP, but with a different reason for needing to rehome. A different reason, but still one which people jumped to enormous, and wrong as it happens, conclusions about. I kid you not when I tell you that this woman was in tears over how people here addressed her. I was mortified.

I'm not disagreeing that sometimes people rehome their dogs for pretty pathetic reasons.. I run a rescue, and see the very worst in people. But I think it's wrong to jump to conclusions, and post hurtful comments, when people don't know the full story.

I fully agree that rough and hurtful comments is taking it too far, and that people sometimes have very private reasons for needing to do the right thing by their dog. But it's an elaborately-constructed excuse for someone: it's either true (and very pathetic, and unfair since like I said, the dog likely has developed behavioural issues as a result, and this will likely affect his rehomability - especially if new owners are not informed) or it isn't true and a cover-up. I would never delve into a personal reason for rehoming a dog, but it really is not hard to say "for personal reasons". Likely, they will get the same stick off some people (I really think this comes with the territory of posting anything on the A&P forum) but people who genuinely care will, like myself and no doubt yourself, know that "personal issues" almost always equals "Due to absolutely no fault of the dog's"

Again, if this dog ends up in a shelter with no history, or even rehomed through boards, the poor thing could end up back in a shelter because the information was concealed. I remember something on here recently about someone who tried to use moving house as an excuse to cover up the fact that their dog may have bitten a child. Not exactly the same situation, I know - but the garden comment really does it. I could understand if perhaps the OP had to get a second job and had no time to walk the beagle, but the wording of the post really does suggest that the level of exercise and attention that the beagle pup was, and still is, getting is just not adequate now that he has grown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

:confused: um......anymore ideas for the OP and their puppy? The pup needs a new home, a house divided falls, lets put our heads together in spite of the differences and help the OP find the little one a new place to hang his hat! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

This was not a decision I made easily. I've had dogs all my life. My last dog was a staffy I had for 10 years before she passed away.

I have many reasons for giving him up. The garden was one of them. It's not fair on him or me to keep him. I just want to go through the right channels so I can get him the best possible home.

I tried calling the breeder, but it rang out. I'll keep trying.
    Where are you OP? I might be interested in taking him. I already have a Beagle and would love another one.

I'm in Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

op,could you maybe post a pic and a description of your dog?maybe some of the boardies could post on their fb pages?I could post on mine and tag a few rescues to see if they can help?Some rescues have a list of people looking to adopt a certain breed so their could be someone out there waiting to adopt xxx.Are you on fb?if so pm me your name xx.What ever the reason the pup needs a home,and knowing beagles :) he will need an active family :)))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I can't understand the garden excuse at all. My garden hasn't got any smaller since I purchased my dogs. I wonder if we should investigate this shrinking gardens phenomenon? As has been said previously dogs usually sit on the back step waiting to go for a walk so in my experience the size of the garden is almost irrelevant.

I accept that circumstances can change but if the OP had any compassion the dog would be going into kennels until the breeder can be contacted. And by contact I don't mean "arite m8, need dog gone 4 gud, tonite."

This sounds to me like another classic case of "Would rather go on holiday than sit here looking at the dog."

boxerly wrote: »
    op,could you maybe post a pic and a description of your dog?maybe some of the boardies could post on their fb pages?I could post on mine and tag a few rescues to see if they can help?Some rescues have a list of people looking to adopt a certain breed so their could be someone out there waiting to adopt xxx.Are you on fb?if so pm me your name xx.What ever the reason the pup needs a home,and knowing beagles :) he will need an active family :)))

Thanks for the help :)

I've attached two photos of him

• Advertisement

This sounds to me like another classic case of "Would rather go on holiday than sit here looking at the dog."

Soooo, despite the fact that the OP has come back on and said there are a number of reasons why the dog needs to be rehomed, the garden is just one of them, and seems to genuinely feel it's no longer fair on the dog to stay with them, we're still persisting with the assumption that this is just a garden thing?

Soooo, despite the fact that the OP has come back on and said there are a number of reasons why the dog needs to be rehomed, the garden is just one of them, and seems to genuinely feel it's no longer fair on the dog to stay with them, we're still persisting with the assumption that this is just a garden thing?

No, OP said that the garden is no longer adequate for exercising. A garden is not a suitable form of exercise for a dog, so it was never adequate for exercising. This rings the alarm bells that a very active breed was never being exercised adequately. Which can lead to problems, as I said, which would affect his being rehomed.

So, the garden excuse should never have been an excuse. No-one expects the OP to give personal information, but a certain amount of honesty is required.

Macronelf wrote: »
    Thanks for the help :)

I've attached two photos of him

info? :)likes,dislikes,neautered?house trained?how is he on lead?recall?,sorry for all the ???? but if you can give as much info as possible it would make it easier to match him with a family xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Best of luck rehoming that handsome hound.

Edited.

No, OP said that the garden is no longer adequate for exercising. A garden is not a suitable form of exercise for a dog, so it was never adequate for exercising. This rings the alarm bells that a very active breed was never being exercised adequately. Which can lead to problems, as I said, which would affect his being rehomed.

Have you even stopped for a second to think that maybe..just maybe there is more going on than the garden.You dont know OP so think its really unfair.Some people dont like to type their whole life on the internet.I dont know op either but the dog still needs a home :))))can people not either help or keep their hurtful opinions to themselves.Unless ye walk in someone elses shoes ye wont know what their life is really like

This rings the alarm bells that a very active breed was never being exercised adequately. Which can lead to problems, as I said, which would affect his being rehomed.

As would the look of the dogs face. It doesn't look like any beagle I've ever seen, beagles should have a short nose like below, not the long, terrier nose on that dog. Just if anyone is considering rehoming it.

Beagle-1-645mk062311.jpg

Thats a bit nasty,There are lost of beagles where we are and Ive minded one or two and none of them have a very short snout:)Unfortunately bad breeding is changing many breeds :(((((.Just dont be mean

Have you even stopped for a second to think that maybe..just maybe there is more going on than the garden.You dont know OP so think its really unfair.Some people dont like to type their whole life on the internet.I dont know op either but the dog still needs a home :))))can people not either help or keep their hurtful opinions to themselves.Unless ye walk in someone elses shoes ye wont know what their life is really like

Ive already said that there is no issue to having a sincere personal reason to rehome a dog, but it can negatively affect the dogs chance of being rehomed if the OP is covering stuff up. Like I said, it doesnt take a lot to say there are personal reasons for rehoming, which (again) like I said would definitely suggest to me that the owner is acknowledging that the dog is not at fault for the rehoming.

info? :)likes,dislikes,neautered?house trained?how is he on lead?recall?,sorry for all the ???? but if you can give as much info as possible it would make it easier to match him with a family xx

House trained yes. He pulls a little on his lead. He gets very excited for walks.

Favourite toys are ropes with tennis balls attached as he likes to remove them. He doesn't like meat bones or plastic shoe toys.

Great with dogs, cats (we have two) but he's very excitable around kids. Won't leave my cousin alone when he's here! Very curious dog.

He doesn't like being left alone for a long time so a single owner with a full time job would not be good for him.

I feel bad enough as it is, but I feel this is the right choice. I just want him to get a right owner

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

As would the look of the dogs face. It doesn't look like any beagle I've ever seen, beagles should have a short nose like below, not the long, terrier nose on that dog. Just if anyone is considering rehoming it.

Beagle-1-645mk062311.jpg

The dogs for rehoming---you really shouldnt be trying to put a potential new owner off like that.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    The dogs for rehoming---you really shouldnt be trying to put a potential new owner off like that.

Honestly, he does look very unusual for a Beagle who was gotten from a breeder, but agreed, this shouldn't affect the rehoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

OP is he neutered? Possibly not if he's only 8 months you might not have gotten round to it? I would suggest that if you can't get him neutered beforehand that you make it a stipulation of the new owner (although not sure how you would do that?), you know with the overpopulation of dogs in the country these days, you don't want to add to it.

Hellrazer wrote: »

A new owner should know all the facts before taking on the dog, to avoid doing so would be dishonest and could lead to the dog having to be rehomed again in the future.

Have you even stopped for a second to think that maybe..just maybe there is more going on than the garden.

Yes, the OP has confirmed that there is more to this than just the garden. But no, we'll just keep concentrating on the garden thing, and completely ignore the fact that quite possibly there are lines to be read through here.

This comment is so utterly out of line.
    The dog you have posted in your photo is a show-line Beagle. The one the OP has posted is more typical of a working line dog, often called a "Kerry Beagle". Go on, google them.
    It's not good enough to assume the OP has their dog in a stamp-sized garden 24/7, we're now calling into question that the dog isn't a Beagle at all!

I am disgusted at the assumptions people are continuing to make here, despite the OP making an attempt to tell you all that there's more to this than just the garden, and despite repeated appeals from several posters to just stop for one second and think that maybe, just maybe, you've got this all wrong. I sincerely hope that none of you ever find your posts misinterpeted in this forum. I'm sick of the way people gang up on unsuspecting OPs in this forum, just sick of it.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    OP is he neutered? Possibly not if he's only 8 months you might not have gotten round to it? I would suggest that if you can't get him neutered beforehand that you make it a stipulation of the new owner (although not sure how you would do that?), you know with the overpopulation of dogs in the country these days, you don't want to add to it.

He is not. When I took him to the vet in October for his shots he said around April. I have no problem getting him neutered beforehand if it would help a new owner

A new owner should know all the facts before taking on the dog, to avoid doing so would be dishonest and could lead to the dog having to be rehomed again in the future.

The op is not being dishonest.The dog is a beagle.

I suggest you do your research before putting off potential new owners.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/beagle.htm

Theres beagles on that page that are identical to the one the Op has.

Can you point out any hint of dishonesty please? Bearing in mind you have made a wrongful insinuation about the breed of the dog?
    Show me, please? This suggestions of dishonesty was mentioned a few posts back too... why the assumptions of dishonesty with the OP?

Edited to add: given the wrongful insinuation that the OP is trying to dishonestly peddle some non-Beagle Beagle, I think an apology to the OP is in order here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Quick question OP - so he is ok with cats you say , but is he a much of a barker?
    I assume he is an indoor dog? Cute fellow.

I can fully accept that there is obviously more to this, I was simply defending the fact that I had come to a conclusion, like others, that EVER considering a garden as suitable exercise for any dog, let alone a beagle, is something that would set off alarm bells.

And like I said, it just annoys me when people make up elaborate excuses to cover up what I literally called "an honest reason" for rehoming a dog. If the OP has an honest reason and it is too personal to disclose, then they could just say it's too personal to disclose. It would prevent a lot of honest people from wanting to look further into why the dog really needs to find a new home. This changes everything with regard to the type of owners that would be suitable.

I can see from the photos he was a happy dog, and can fully accept the owner obviously has other issues which means that he can no longer care for his dog (but can for his two cats) and that is fair enough. But people need to understand that dishonesty and misinformation can seriously affect getting a dog a new home, eg the separation anxiety that OP has now mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

OP, where are you based, perhaps posting in the re-homing thread be better idea.

I respect peoples compassion and empathy for a dogs well being but its no measure of help to the dog if the owner is getting interrogated and questioned on matters irrelavent to the subject at hand.

I see more criticism and badgering than courtesy for the dogs well being and re-homing. I do not agree in giving up a dog but everyones circumstances are different and people make mistakes. If owners heart isnt in it, forcing or guilt tripping wont help.

OP, best of luck. If really stuck in emergency please don't send to a pound, PM myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement