Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have to give up my beagle puppy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

DBB wrote: »
    Yes, the OP has confirmed that there is more to this than just the garden. But no, we'll just keep concentrating on the garden thing, and completely ignore the fact that quite possibly there are lines to be read through

Think you typed before you read my whole post:)I was actually sticking up for the OP.I have posted on my fb page and am trying to add a pic,although seem to be doing something wrong.Sometimes people need help,not just animals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As would the look of the dogs face. It doesn't look like any beagle I've ever seen, beagles should have a short nose like below, not the long, terrier nose on that dog. Just if anyone is considering rehoming it.
    From a quick google, the OP's dog looks like an American beagle (as the ears go slightly above where they come out of the head), whereas the photo you linked to looks like an english beagle. Also, there are beagle harriers, which come from France, so saying that beagles all look the same is not really all that true.

=-=

OP; let the vet know, and also let any local dog clubs know that you are looking for a good home for your dog, as they may know someone looking. It been a puppy with all it's shots, house trained and good with other dogs and cats is a definite plus. Best of luck finding the wee doggy a new home :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    And like I said, it just annoys me when people make up elaborate excuses to cover up what I literally called "an honest reason" for rehoming a dog. If the OP has an honest reason and it is too personal to disclose, then they could just say it's too personal to disclose.

I have to disagree, because it's different for everyone. I would never, ever, in a million years, post anything on a forum that suggested I was having any personal issues or problems. I am way, way too private to post any such a thing. The thoughts of it makes my blood run cold.
    Look, this OP came on here and said they need to rehome the dog. If anyone is interested in the dog, they PM the OP, just like I did when I got my dog. It was at THAT stage that I found out more about the dog, about the circumstances etc. But so many people here jumped on all sorts of assumptions, and now there's a suggestion that the OP was being somehow dishonest because of it? Are you seriously suggesting that the OP was just going to hand over the dog based solely on the info given in the opening post?

and can fully accept the owner obviously has other issues which means that he can no longer care for his dog (but can for his two cats)

Oh no. Another veiled insinuation! For goodness sake! I'm pretty sure cats are far, far easier to manage than a dog.

But people need to understand that dishonesty and misinformation can seriously affect getting a dog a new home, eg the separation anxiety that OP has now mentioned.

Where does it say the dog has separation anxiety? That's a pretty big diagnosis to make based on the fact that the OP says the dog doesn't like being left for long periods of time!
    Again, did you expect the OP to post every single detail of the dog in the opening post? Or is it not more reasonable to assume that the OP would give this sort of info to anyone out there who happens to be looking for a Beagle and expresses an interest in this dog? Because it is now becoming pretty clear to me that the OP should have posted every single detail about this dog from the outset! A pretty big demand, because not even the very best rescue groups do that! They wait for someone to express interest in the dog, and then tell them how it is.

boxerly wrote: »
    Think you typed before you read my whole post:)I was actually sticking up for the OP.I have posted on my fb page and am trying to add a pic,although seem to be doing something wrong.Sometimes people need help,not just animals

No, I was agreeing with you! I quoted your post because it illustrated the point I've been trying to make all along ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

I think everyone needs to back off and give the op a break. they have come on here for advice not to be slatted they could have just as easy throw it in to the pound. OP all the best with it i was in the same boat before hope it works out for you:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I've already said my bit, I have no wish to get into a heated debate to defend my opinions on the steps people take to rehome their dogs and the reasons they do it.
    I said it was fair enough about the cats, I can fully accept that they don't require the same exercise as a beagle. I still fully believe that people should be honest about the reasons for rehoming a dog, or any animal for that matter, and I still fully believe that the original post was intended to conceal. As you've agreed, I am entitled to that opinion. I've not insulted the OP, called them names, suggested that they never again own dogs. I simply voiced that I believe that (as we have discovered) there is more to this than a lack of time for the dog and the garden suddenly becoming too small for the dog, as well as texting the breeder. And if the "more to this" is something that a potential owner should be made aware of, I think it is worth mentioning in the original post.
    I've seen PLENTY of posts where people have looked to rehome a dog, and when people have delved further into the real reason why, they were able to offer much more concise and usable advice on how to proceed. I even recall one occasion where it meant the person could in fact keep the dog! I also remember one where the rehomer looked to get rid of the dog they took in because the dog exhibited behaviour they were not made aware of.

Granted, I know this because I've been here a while, and I've seen the way things can go.

No, I was agreeing with you! I quoted your post because it illustrated the point I've been trying to make all along ;)

ah sorry teehee :).OP ive posted your dog on my fb page with his pics and the info you gave x

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

I've already said my bit, I have no wish to get into a heated debate to defend my opinions on the steps people take to rehome their dogs and the reasons they do it.
    I said it was fair enough about the cats, I can fully accept that they don't require the same exercise as a beagle. I still fully believe that people should be honest about the reasons for rehoming a dog, or any animal for that matter, and I still fully believe that the original post was intended to conceal. As you've agreed, I am entitled to that opinion. I've not insulted the OP, called them names, suggested that they never again own dogs. I simply voiced that I believe that (as we have discovered) there is more to this than a lack of time for the dog and the garden suddenly becoming too small for the dog, as well as texting the breeder. And if the "more to this" is something that a potential owner should be made aware of, I think it is worth mentioning in the original post.
    I've seen PLENTY of posts where people have looked to rehome a dog, and when people have delved further into the real reason why, they were able to offer much more concise and usable advice on how to proceed. I even recall one occasion where it meant the person could in fact keep the dog! I also remember one where the rehomer looked to get rid of the dog they took in because the dog exhibited behaviour they were not made aware of.

Granted, I know this because I've been here a while, and I've seen the way things can go.

The reasons for rehoming him are purely personal reasons to me and not related to my dog at all. I'm happy to answer any and all questions about his behaviour, temperament, looks, anything

fair play op:D hope you get it sorted;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Macronelf wrote: »
    The reasons for rehoming him are purely personal reasons to me and not related to my dog at all. I'm happy to answer any and all questions about his behaviour, temperament, looks, anything

Then that's one hundred percent fine Macronelf, and I fully respect that. Im sorry if the direction of any of my posts offended you and I hope that you can see where I was coming from in my comment regarding that your original post does suggest that we werent getting the full story. Like I said, I would never delve into anyone's personal reasons, but it does (in my opinion) really help understand how best to help you if we know that the reasons for rehoming are not secret behavioral issues that owners don't like to disclose.

On a side note, he is absolutely stunning - I don't know what part of Louth you are from, but there is a rescue in Dundalk that I used to volunteer on who have a Facebook page - if you posted there, I am sure they would be able to help rehome him locally, which might leave you free to see him from time to time if you would like. I do also know, since you mentioned personal circumstances, that *sometimes* the will offer long-term fostering until your circumstances change, if that is of interest?

• Advertisement

Macronelf..some people are just way to nosey and like to know peoples business.You dont need to explain your personal situation to anyone !!!This is about your dog.The people who are giving you grief because they "care" about dogs .....help find a home instead of sitting there typing horrible stuff!!!!!!!!!

agree with boxerly far too noisy:p

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eggox

I noticed this thread about beagles and was going to ask for some advice on them, im blowed if i will now with all these judgemental opinions and arguments

eggox wrote: »
    I noticed this thread about beagles and was going to ask for some advice on them, im blowed if i will now with all these judgemental opinions and arguments

I was just thinking exactly the same thing: anyone who might have thought they'd try rehoming their dog via this kind of forum because it's one of the better ways to go about the process, having read this thread (and indeed the one through which I ended up getting my dog.. which was even worse), might very well be put off risking going through all of the guff, and just bring their dog straight to the pound, or worse.
    I really hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

OP is he IKC registered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Wow. Just... wow.

If anything ever happened with me that I had to rehome one of my dogs - this is the last place I'd look for help.

Sad, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

boomerang wrote: »
    Wow. Just... wow.

If anything ever happened with me that I had to rehome one of my dogs - this is the last place I'd look for help.

Sad, isn't it?

Exactly, theres great people on here but the best advice is diluted by huge amounts of negative posts looking for controversy and forums used to exert their issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Reminds me of another forum on boards where there almost seems to be a contest to see who is the most horrified. Some of the comments at the OP have been a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I've seen PLENTY of posts where people have looked to rehome a dog, and when people have delved further into the real reason why, they were able to offer much more concise and usable advice on how to proceed. I even recall one occasion where it meant the person could in fact keep the dog!

Many people who rehome their dogs could physically keep them, but it would not be in the best interests of the dog. Do you think animal hoarders are saints because they keep their dogs no matter what their living conditions are? No, you probably don't.
    I also remember one where the rehomer looked to get rid of the dog they took in because the dog exhibited behaviour they were not made aware of.

And they are entitled to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

This was not a decision I made easily. I've had dogs all my life. My last dog was a staffy I had for 10 years before she passed away.

I have many reasons for giving him up. The garden was one of them. It's not fair on him or me to keep him. I just want to go through the right channels so I can get him the best possible home.

I tried calling the breeder, but it rang out. I'll keep trying.

I'm in Louth

Macron, I've pm'd you..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Do you not think that someone being told they should never own a dog again is not being judgmental, no? Is this really "sensible" advice?
    I don't know if "sensitive" is quite the right word. What is more correct is that I disagree with people being unfair to one another when they don;t have all the facts.
    I think it's wrong for anyone to come on here and berate the OP without knowing the full reasons behind why the dog needs to be rehomed. Now, for all we know, the only reason the OP wants to rehome the dog is because the garden is too small, and if that's the case, then perhaps the OP needs a wake-up call. But we don't know that. For all we know, there is something very personal going on with the OP that they don't want to, nor need to share with us here.

So, my point, once again is, until people know more, save the lectures, save the judgements etc.

Yes you've said that 3 times already. Stop judging until you know more. And I have already answered: we are not judging and we can only go on what OP has told us so far.]

Nobody is "berating" anyone, nor using "vitriol" as you suggested yesterday. Like anything in life, why ask a question if you dont want to hear the answers/

People will only take advice if it re-affirms what they already believe.

ps the only one here that is being treated unfairly is the dog.

Magenta wrote: »
    Many people who rehome their dogs could physically keep them, but it would not be in the best interests of the dog. Do you think animal hoarders are saints because they keep their dogs no matter what their living conditions are? No, you probably don't.

And they are entitled to do that.

Yes. But often dogs exhibit "bad" behaviour that we cannot cope with because people have got them without researching the breed and have failed to handle them properly, resulting in behavioural problems that others are left to deal with.

I was just thinking exactly the same thing: anyone who might have thought they'd try rehoming their dog via this kind of forum because it's one of the better ways to go about the process, having read this thread (and indeed the one through which I ended up getting my dog.. which was even worse), might very well be put off risking going through all of the guff, and just bring their dog straight to the pound, or worse.
    I really hope not.

Why would anyone want to rehome their dog through a discussion forum??? There are plenty of charities, shelters or (if OP doesnt want to be out of pocket) websites at his/her disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

CRIKEY..THIS IS TURNING INTO A FACEBOOK FIGHT...thought it was better here. ego's out, dog welfare in please...:D

OP try <snip>, afaik they have a foster scheme in place for dogs who are waiting for their forever home.

Although I have only seen them doing this with dogs from the Pound (who are literally on death row and will be euthanaised if not taken and fostered) they might be willing to take yours.

They took one of ours before. (I worked at an animal charity and some ar*ewipe took their dog to be euthanaised because they did not want it anymore. They surrendered the dog to me when I asked if I could keep her and I kept her until I was due to travel abroad but did not manage to find a home for her in the meantime because she was like....ancient :D). They were very good and took her in. Actually they fell in love with her and then wouldnt rehome her - she ended up living out her last year there.

Mod note: I've already asked that rescues are not named as it is against the forum charter. Please don't do it again.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

OP, please don't beat yourself over it. You're not suited, you're doing well looking to rehome him. Much better than the alternatives.

There is a well known beagle rescue in UK (can't post a link but just google them). They may be able to direct you to beagle friends here in Ireland or perhaps arrange an adoption to UK. Especially if you're going to UK yourself it may be worth giving them a ring now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to rehome their dog through a discussion forum??? There are plenty of charities, shelters or (if OP doesnt want to be out of pocket) websites at his/her disposal.

Im pretty sure the original post wasnt about the OP trying to rehome the dog through this forum, it was simply to ask had anyone else gone through it before.
    Has anyone had to give up a dog before? Never had to do this before and it's really hard, but I know it's the right choice.

Given the judgmental, patronising and berating nature of this forum I cant imagine why anyone would come here for advice about any aspect of animal welfare tbh.

People are entitled to rehome their pets. Get over it.

A new owner should know all the facts before taking on the dog, to avoid doing so would be dishonest and could lead to the dog having to be rehomed again in the future.

Poster was pointing out an apparent "design flaw" - hardly something to be considered unless OP wants to sell the dog.

Also, if someone didnt want my dog because it wasnt a perfect specimen of its breed, I wouldnt consider that to be a "good loving owner" anyway.

Im pretty sure the original post wasnt about the OP trying to rehome the dog through this forum, it was simply to ask had anyone else gone through it before.

I was responding to DBB at 75.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

Beagles are working dogs and it's not for me to know why you want to rehome your dog.

I rehomed a beagle for someone last year, I got in touch with the local foot hound/hunting club and they were glad to have him and trained him for what he is bred for.

They still get to see the dog when they want.

No offence to any anti hunters intended.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement