Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have to give up my beagle puppy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

Macronelf wrote: »
    House trained yes. He pulls a little on his lead. He gets very excited for walks.

Favourite toys are ropes with tennis balls attached as he likes to remove them. He doesn't like meat bones or plastic shoe toys.

Great with dogs, cats (we have two) but he's very excitable around kids. Won't leave my cousin alone when he's here! Very curious dog.

He doesn't like being left alone for a long time so a single owner with a full time job would not be good for him.

I feel bad enough as it is, but I feel this is the right choice. I just want him to get a right owner

I had a german shepherd once that I couldn't give the time and help he needed as he was very anxious. Luckily for me the breeder took him back, I hope you have luck getting another owner. At least you're not dumping him off on the side of the road like some people would. I hated giving back my GSD, but I after persisting for 18months, I was not the owner he needed to be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

People can only go on the information they are given. The OP just said they didn't have time for the dog, and the garden wasn't big enough to exercise the dog in. Personally, if I didn't have enough time for the dog, then rather than try to rehome it, and add to the thousands of dogs looking for homes already in this country, I would look at ways to keep the dog, i.e. doggie day care, dog walker etc. The OP also said at the beginning of this thread that they had tried ONCE to contact the breeder, by a text message, so yes of course people made assumptions, one text message???? Not exactly trying hard is it. Nowhere did the OP say they had tried other options, the dog has to go, they had already contacted a shelter, and the dog had to be gone asap because they were going to England to see someone, no matter whether they were going away for deeply personal reasons or not, surely they would be aware that boarding facilities for canines exist in this country?

So yes, I judged the OP harshly, and still do. Yes, of course sometimes people have very genuine reasons for needing to rehome an animal, is this one? Who knows, nobody else except the OP actually does, so posters who are attacking others for judging the OP harshly, are actually doing exactly what they are saying people shouldn't do, they are making assumptions.

I asked if the dog is IKC registered because some, although not all, of the breed clubs will have a welfare scheme, so OP, another avenue for you to explore is to contact the IKC for the details of the secretary of the breed club and ask them if they have anybody waiting for a welfare beagle. Your dog is only young, so hopefully they will be able to find an appropriate home.

For any posters on here that said they could help, and may take the dog, maybe go along to your local pound or contact your local shelter and rehome one of the thousands of dogs waiting for homes and in danger of being put to sleep because of the crisis in unwanted dogs in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

OP out of curiosity, are you trying to sell the dog or re-home him free?

ISDW wrote: »
    People can only go on the information they are given. The OP just said they didn't have time for the dog, and the garden wasn't big enough to exercise the dog in. Personally, if I didn't have enough time for the dog, then rather than try to rehome it, and add to the thousands of dogs looking for homes already in this country, I would look at ways to keep the dog, i.e. doggie day care, dog walker etc. The OP also said at the beginning of this thread that they had tried ONCE to contact the breeder, by a text message, so yes of course people made assumptions, one text message???? Not exactly trying hard is it. Nowhere did the OP say they had tried other options, the dog has to go, they had already contacted a shelter, and the dog had to be gone asap because they were going to England to see someone, no matter whether they were going away for deeply personal reasons or not, surely they would be aware that boarding facilities for canines exist in this country?

So yes, I judged the OP harshly, and still do. Yes, of course sometimes people have very genuine reasons for needing to rehome an animal, is this one? Who knows, nobody else except the OP actually does, so posters who are attacking others for judging the OP harshly, are actually doing exactly what they are saying people shouldn't do, they are making assumptions.

I asked if the dog is IKC registered because some, although not all, of the breed clubs will have a welfare scheme, so OP, another avenue for you to explore is to contact the IKC for the details of the secretary of the breed club and ask them if they have anybody waiting for a welfare beagle. Your dog is only young, so hopefully they will be able to find an appropriate home.

For any posters on here that said they could help, and may take the dog, maybe go along to your local pound or contact your local shelter and rehome one of the thousands of dogs waiting for homes and in danger of being put to sleep because of the crisis in unwanted dogs in Ireland.

It's true there are thousands of perfectly healthy dogs destroyed every year because people can be so obsessive about purebreds for whatever reason I dont know, maybe status symbols. Surely cant be for the health of the dog as purebreds tend to have a higher incidence of genetic diseases due to inbreeding and intensive gene selection for specific traits. Also cant be for "functionality" reasons in this day and age - I mean how many purebreds are actually used for their intended function? However, not a conversation for here so excuse my ramblings.

In one way I admire OP because in fairness a lot of people just dump/drown/do other horrible things to their dogs to get rid of them (or stray them which is so sad) so OP is doing the right thing trying to find good home. I hope it works out for the dog. :( He may not be a "perfect" beagle but those eyes are heartbreaking. Beagles are super smart and loyal (and the baying is kick *ss :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The OP also said at the beginning of this thread that they had tried ONCE to contact the breeder, by a text message, so yes of course people made assumptions, one text message???? Not exactly trying hard is it.

Where did the OP say he/she only text the breeder once?
    8 months. Texting them was the first thing I did, but they never got back to me.

From this text he/she gives no indication how many times they had text the breeder.

As a dog lover i find this section of the forum to be full of condescending posters with agendas. And that is no assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Bullseye1 wrote: »

From this text he/she gives no indication how many times they had text the breeder.

Well first thing I would do is ring, not text. Or even take a trip to the house if I was desperate (which I would be if it came to my dog).
    Gave advise based on his area, but I seem to have been ignored :rolleyes:

As a dog lover i find this section of the forum to be full of condescending posters with agendas. And that is no assumption.

You're right, i made the assumption that it was one text message. My point still stands though, sending a text or texts, but not phoning? thats not trying very hard.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Well first thing I would do is ring, not text. Or even take a trip to the house if I was desperate (which I would be if it came to my dog).
    Gave advise based on his area, but I seem to have been ignored :rolleyes:

Why do you assume that you have been ignored. Do you want the OP to pm you or quote your post?:confused: and thank you?

You're right, i made the assumption that it was one text message. My point still stands though, sending a text or texts, but not phoning? thats not trying very hard.

Maybe he/she has tried to ring the breeder. Why not simply give advice without judgement. I am sure the OP feels bad enough about the situation. Its not like they abandoned the dog they are trying to get some advice. Advice with condescending tone is not advice its "judgement". Who are any of us to judge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Maybe he/she has tried to ring the breeder. Why not simply give advice without judgement. I am sure the OP feels bad enough about the situation. Its not like they abandoned the dog they are trying to get some advice. Advice with condescending tone is not advice its "judgement". Who are any of us to judge?

But they didnt ring, they said they text the breeder and never heard back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Kindergarten springs to mind... Facebook too. sigh.I'm right, you're right..what does it matter. Help the dog.:pac::pac::pac:

Have you actually read the thread? they said they didn't phone until they were advised, by me amongst others - without any condescension - to do so. And, perhaps if you do read the thread, you will see that I have given advise, again without condescension.

I wonder if dictionaries are going to change the definitions of condescension or judgemental anytime soon. Apparently, according to boards.ie they mean any point of view that differs from your own.

Again you are making assumptions, how do you know the OP feels bad enough? why is it okay for you to make assumptions, but not others?

As a matter of interest, if someone takes a dog to a shelter and hands it over, would you consider that dumping a dog or not?

andreac wrote: »
    But they didnt ring, they said they text the breeder and never heard back.

They never said they had never rang (in the OP). People assumed that because they had text that they also had not rang. Its called jumping to conclusions.

Have you actually read the thread? they said they didn't phone until they were advised, by me amongst others - without any condescension - to do so. And, perhaps if you do read the thread, you will see that I have given advise, again without condescension.

I wonder if dictionaries are going to change the definitions of condescension or judgemental anytime soon. Apparently, according to boards.ie they mean any point of view that differs from your own.

Again you are making assumptions, how do you know the OP feels bad enough? why is it okay for you to make assumptions, but not others?

As a matter of interest, if someone takes a dog to a shelter and hands it over, would you consider that dumping a dog or not?

Anyone who posts for advise on what to do obviously has regrets for the decision to rehome their dog.

What has my opinion on people dropping dogs off to shelters got to do with the OP. Are you making assumptions about me now?:confused:

Maybe the mods could have a sticky at the top of this thread on advice on rehoming so that people can get the advice they need without the judgement.

I will do that.

I only said ASAP as I have to visit my dad in England and have no one to watch him

Bullseye, we didnt assume, its there in black and white. This is the reply when we told them to ring the breeder. They said they will do that, so they hadnt called them, only text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

That's a gorgeous dog. You won't have any problem finding him a home with a jogger!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 evrumum

I haven't read all of the posts here but how long are u going to be in the UK for? Have u considered foster care for ur beagle?

andreac wrote: »
    Bullseye, we didnt assume, its there in black and white. This is the reply when we told them to ring the breeder. They said they will do that, so they hadnt called them, only text.

That was the third of fourth post by the OP. Not the first.;)

That was the third of fourth post by the OP. Not the first.;)

Yes, i know. We said to contact the breeder to which they replied they text and didnt hear back.
    So we then said, ring the breeder to which they said they will :confused:

What part of that is making assumptions?? They were answering our suggestions. Not once did they correct us to say they had called them etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I am aware of a man looking for a beagle in Dundalk. He had one that passed away before christmas. Had a brain tumor I think. The dog took fits and the vet reccomended putting him to sleep. But he persisted and spent a fortune on medication. He was always walking him and now cuts a lonely figure walking on his own.
    Was telling me he would look in Feb or March for another beagle as he did not want to go to the dog homes as he would only take 2 or 3 dogs home.

If you want I can ask him if hes interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

If people were not so judgemental when someone has to give up their pet,there would not be so many dogs left alone,bored & lonely in back gardens because the owner cant look after them but is afraid to ask for help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I am aware of a man looking for a beagle in Dundalk. He had one that passed away before christmas. Had a brain tumor I think. The dog took fits and the vet reccomended putting him to sleep. But he persisted and spent a fortune on medication. He was always walking him and now cuts a lonely figure walking on his own.
    Was telling me he would look in Feb or March for another beagle as he did not want to go to the dog homes as he would only take 2 or 3 dogs home.

If you want I can ask him if hes interested.

Finally, a saint in the crowd of madness!:)

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Finally, a saint in the crowd of madness!:)

I already offered him information regarding long-term fostering and a rescue close to his home town who would be able to get the beagle rehomed locally as well. I got ignored, he got plenty of good advice from posters here, but Ive a funny feeling it's not what he wanted to hear.
    Considering he doesn't want the dog around the house knowing he has to get rid of him, and that he wants him gone ASAP, I would have thought he'd have done something by now

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    OP out of curiosity, are you trying to sell the dog or re-home him free?

This thread moves too fast, sorry.

I want no money for him. Just want him to get a home

Why do you assume that you have been ignored. Do you want the OP to pm you or quote your post?:confused: and thank you?
    Very few of the helpful posts have been responded to.

fathead82 wrote: »
    If people were not so judgemental when someone has to give up their pet,there would not be so many dogs left alone,bored & lonely in back gardens because the owner cant look after them but is afraid to ask for help.

hahahahaha

Seriously?

People now neglect their dogs because they dont want other people to judge them when they give them up or ask for help?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Very few of the helpful posts have been responded to.

It very hard time keep up with.

He is not IKC registered.

I have always text the breeder about questions I have had previously, so I did in this situation. However, I never heard a reply after informing her of my situation. Didn't click to call in all honesty.

I have read every post in this thread, just can't reply to everything. Apologies

I have always text the breeder about questions I have had previously, so I did in this situation. However, I never heard a reply after informing her of my situation. Didn't click to call in all honesty.

I have read every post in this thread, just can't reply to everything. Apologies

I wasnt having a go at you so no need to apologise, I just dont like when other posters say we are all being judgmental, vitriolic, have agendas etc when some good advice has been given out.

You could always post an ad on Irishanimals.ie

When do you need to leave?

I had a beagle (rescue) before and I know they are a handful ao I can see where you are coming from. Even for experienced dog owners they can be a nightmare. Although ours had epilepsy which made him even more crazy. (just remembered when another poster said about a beagle having fits). We had him on max dose of pheno but he was still a hatter :o

Have you spoken to the rescue in Dundalk, not the LSPCA, but the other, independant one? They have a Facebook page, you could post there to have him rehomed locally like I suggested earlier, you might even get to visit him on the odd occasion if you wished. There are some people involved with this rescue that offer long-term fostering for people with personal circumstances who do not want to lose their dogs, if that might be of any use to you. Realistically if you need to have him rehomed ASAP as you said, you'll need to start moving more. Contact more rescues and put up more ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I put his pic and info I know of on my fb page,lots of "likes" but no offers yet:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement