Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC not displaying on any screen

Options
  • 12-02-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I just got a new PC and for some reason it won't display anything on any screen.

Everything powers up fine, the fans work etc. I connected it to my monitor and no display. Connected it to my t.v and no display.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I just got a new PC and for some reason it won't display anything on any screen.

Everything powers up fine, the fans work etc. I connected it to my monitor and no display. Connected it to my t.v and no display.

Any help would be great.
    Check the RAM is seated correctly. Also make sure it's going into the active graphics card port.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Any help would be great.

What model PC is is?
    Are there more than one graphics output on the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SilentHunter

It was a pre-build pc I bought online. There is no model pc.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AMD-X6-FX-6100-3-3Ghz-Gaming-Pc-Computer-1tb-16Gb-Nvidia-GTX-660-2GB-Win-7-VB-/140851103641?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item20cb614799

There was the standard monitor port and a HDMI port. Both displayed nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

It was a pre-build pc I bought online. There is no model pc.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AMD-X6-FX-6100-3-3Ghz-Gaming-Pc-Computer-1tb-16Gb-Nvidia-GTX-660-2GB-Win-7-VB-/140851103641?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item20cb614799

There was the standard monitor port and a HDMI port. Both displayed nothing
    Ok check the RAM is seated correctly, take out all of them and put in one at a time and test to see if any of them are possibly bad.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Ok check the RAM is seated correctly, take out all of them and put in one at a time and test to see if any of them are possibly bad.

Well I am worried that I may break the warranty by doing that. I may contact the seller first so that he knows that I may have to open the pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

This Happened me recently while fixing a friends PC, I had to remove his graphics card and set the on-board card to default in BIOS before I got any Display

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Patrick 1

The retailer will usually not have a problem with you opening it up and it sounds like the graphics card may not be seated correctly or a power connection may have gotten loose, just open it up and check for loose/missing connections and check the ram as advised, 9/10 odds it's something gone loose in transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Looking at the listing, there are two DVI ports, have you tried both? Is your monitor DVI native or are you using a VGA adaptor?

The HDMI port may not be activated by default.

Does the screen flicker into POST straight after the computer is turned on?

I just noticed there is also an on-board VGA port. Have you tried this? The GFX card may need to be set to primary display in BIOS.

Gulliver wrote: »
    Looking at the listing, there are two DVI ports, have you tried both? Is your monitor DVI native or are you using a VGA adaptor?

The HDMI port may not be activated by default.

Does the screen flicker into POST straight after the computer is turned on?

VGA adapter. The monitor knows its connected to the pc because then I disconnect monitor displays a message to tell me to check signal cable and the power light stays on but once it's connected to the pc that message disappears but just shows a black screen and the power light flickers.

• Advertisement

VGA adapter. The monitor knows its connected to the pc because then I disconnect monitor displays a message to tell me to check signal cable and the power light stays on but once it's connected to the pc that message disappears but just shows a black screen and the power light flickers.

OK. The top (probably primary) DVI port is a DVI-D (digital only) port so a passive VGA adaptor won't work on it. Note the lack of pins around the flat "blade" on the right. You will probably need an active DVI adaptor or get a DVI-DVI cable if your monitor has the port.

Gulliver wrote: »
    OK. The top (probably primary) DVI port is a DVI-D (digital only) port so a passive VGA adaptor won't work on it. Note the lack of pins around the flat "blade" on the right. You will probably need an active DVI adaptor or get a DVI-DVI cable if your monitor has the port.

Ok I don't have an DVI port on my monitor. I have to get an adapter. I'll ask the seller what the primary port he used when building it.

Hold on nevermind. It was one of the HDMI ports on the graphics card. I may not have the cable placed in enough. Thanks everyone for the help. :)

Ok I have encountered another problem but not a major one. For some reason its doesn't have a VGA selection in the display options in the control panel?

Advertisement