Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty on repairs

Options
  • 12-02-2013 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hope someone can help...

Brought an iPhone into GSM on Upper Abbey St in Dublin to repair two issues (speaker not working and SIM card not being read) early in December. They fixed it for €90.

Two weeks later the speaker stopped working and on then Friday just gone the SIM card stopped reading again.

I brought it back today to either get it repaired again for free or to get a refund due to the fact that the repair did not work out. I was told that there was only a 30 day warranty on repairs and I would have to pay full price for the issues to be fixed again.

Surely that's not right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Hope someone can help...

Brought an iPhone into GSM on Upper Abbey St in Dublin to repair two issues (speaker not working and SIM card not being read) early in December. They fixed it for €90.

Two weeks later the speaker stopped working and on then Friday just gone the SIM card stopped reading again.

I brought it back today to either get it repaired again for free or to get a refund due to the fact that the repair did not work out. I was told that there was only a 30 day warranty on repairs and I would have to pay full price for the issues to be fixed again.

Surely that's not right?

Its hard to tell from your post what the timescales are and when the various repairs are carried out, so I can't really speak specifically, but I just wanted to mention something that people seemingly find hard to understand.

Repairs carried out under warranty do not extend the period of the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pineapple*soul

Its hard to tell from your post what the timescales are and when the various repairs are carried out, so I can't really speak specifically, but I just wanted to mention something that people seemingly find hard to understand.

Repairs carried out under warranty do not extend the period of the warranty.

Hi buckety,
    The two repairs were carried out at the same time in the first week of December. Both of these 'repairs' have failed since. One issue failed two weeks after the repair and the other issue failed 10 weeks later.

I'm aware that repairs don't extend warranties on the phone itself. But surely if the repairs a shop makes go wrong in such a short space of time there is some recourse on those specific repairs? I could be wrong, but its clear to me that the shop must have installed faulty parts or diagnosed the problem incorrectly?

EDIT: The phone itself is out of warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Where did you buy the phone from, and how long ago? Your contract for repairs and service is with the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pineapple*soul

The phone was bought second hand, out of warranty, from a private seller. Its an iPhone 3GS

My issue isn't really on a warranty on the phone itself. Its on getting a refund or a re-service for the repairs which clearly were insufficient.

I'm wondering what my consumer rights are in relation to this. If a repair service I have paid for prove to be insufficient, do I not have a right to a refund or re-service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The phone was bought second hand, out of warranty, from a private seller. Its an iPhone 3GS

My issue isn't really on a warranty on the phone itself. Its on getting a refund or a re-service for the repairs which clearly were insufficient.

I'm wondering what my consumer rights are in relation to this. If a repair service I have paid for prove to be insufficient, do I not have a right to a refund or re-service?

I doubt you've much recourse other than through your contract with them. If that agreement was thirty days then you're likely stuck. One angle might be the the parts used would be expected to last as new but we're really getting into minutia at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I doubt you've much recourse other than through your contract with them. If that agreement was thirty days then you're likely stuck. ...
    Perhaps not. It is arguable that setting a 30-day limit on the efficacy of a €90 repair is an unfair term in a contract. See http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/unfair_terms.html

Perhaps not. It is arguable that setting a 30-day limit on the efficacy of a €90 repair is an unfair term in a contract. See http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/unfair_terms.html

That's a good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I doubt you've much recourse other than through your contract with them. If that agreement was thirty days then you're likely stuck. One angle might be the the parts used would be expected to last as new but we're really getting into minutia at that stage.
    On what are you basing this?
    I see it as the OP buying a service (repair of an iPhone), so he would have the normal rights out of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act (repair, replacement, refund).

mdebets wrote: »
    On what are you basing this?
    I see it as the OP buying a service (repair of an iPhone), so he would have the normal rights out of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act (repair, replacement, refund).

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/index.html

If you have a look at Part IV you'll see that it only provides that where goods are supplied as part of the service, in this case the parts, that the earlier sections of the act (that inserts provisions of the SOGA 1893) apply.

The remedies of repair/replacement/refund only apply to the supplier of goods simpliciter.

EDIT: as always I'm happy to be corrected by other interpretations.

Advertisement