Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power supply problems to stereo

Options
  • 12-02-2013 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello all....
    Just checking out the van for the start of the season, noticed my stereo wasnt working, ive taken it out and what i have at the connector block (excluding all the audio stuff) is three wires, an earth and two more.. i have 12v when i test either of the other two with that earth.. in my limited knowledge this sounds right so far. however when i plug back in the stereo and test i get roughly 3v and stereo not working, i have got a lend of a brand new stereo and the same results... anybody got any ideas. i'v checked as many fuses as i can find. thanks :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

bad connection , or bad earth .
    ~Generally the ones you need are the red , yellow , and black. Continuous 12v, ignition switched 12v , and earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mrgriswold

thanks aidan,

Ran a temp earth from back of unit to earth point in engine bay, no joy!! checked all wires on the loom on the stereo itself and they seem fine on meter.. ah the joys :(

Check the wiring diagram...anything else on the same circuit?

Check the voltage using something LSR as an earth. If the volts drop when you ask them to do something , you've a bad connection. Could be a corroded or burnt fuse even.

aidan, you've lost me with the lsr bit.:confused:

• Advertisement

mrgriswold wrote: »
    aidan, you've lost me with the lsr bit.:confused:

Sorry, fat fingers! Meant to be something ELSE.

Thanks all for the advice, ran in a temp. supply and got it working. will run in new supply today.:D

Advertisement