Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with a new external hard drive

Options
  • 12-02-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi can anyone recommend me a good external hard drive.
    I need it for backing up photos, music, some movies and small files mainly from my laptop.
    500gb would be adequate.

I would like it to be portable as the odd day I may need to bring it to work.
    My biggest worry is it breaking if I dropped it (happened me before)
    Are the shock ones any good?
    Also I would need it to be compatible with taking files from a Mac also.

Any suggestions welcome.
    Any one any thoughts on the LaCie ones?
    http://www.lacie.com/ie/products/range.htm?id=10036

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

How about this one - http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9244410/art/noname/750gb-transcend-usb3-0-st.html
    Transcend's StoreJet 25M3 portable hard drive combines the advantages of Transcend's award-winning shockproof StoreJet M series and the next-generation SuperSpeed transfer rates of USB 3.0, allowing users to enjoy ultra-fast file transfers and the highest level of anti-shock protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Anyone have experience of these hard drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I bought one for my daughter when she started college two years ago and one for my son when he started this year. So far both have been trouble free. Which is more than I can say for the hard drive in a HP laptop I got her against my better judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Rugged or not, they're still platter HDDs, if you really want to be on the safe side, get a cheap 256 GB SSD (less than 140 yoyos) and put it into a 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure.

Advertisement