Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I found a use for my under cabinet lights...seeds

• 12-02-2013 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I had been reading a bit about grow lights and I thought I'd give this a go first, if it turns out to be rubbish I'll make a proper one.
    What I've done is taking the fluorescent under cabinet light from the other side of the kitchen and placed it beside another one next to the boiler. I planted the seeds on Friday night and as you can see a few of them are already going really well. One of them is a Zinnia and the other is from a cottage garden mix.

Doers anyone do sth similar or any ideas to improve it. The sunlight around my house is pretty hampered by surrounding trees.

8467752323_647e902958_z.jpg
    027 by , on Flickr

8467751855_f058c88da2_z.jpg
    029 by , on Flickr

8467751029_f6c2d7f148_z.jpg
    032 by , on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Fluorescent tubes certainly can do the trick. The colour of light isn't exactly right and you can get fluorescent tubes that match natural light much closer but certainly what you have is a great start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Great idea. :)

If you had reflectors or something to reflect the light down it might help increase the light youre getting from the tubes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

muckyhands wrote: »
    Great idea. :)

If you had reflectors or something to reflect the light down it might help increase the light youre getting from the tubes.

Some tinfoil would do the trick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Thanks for the suggestions. I knew they were the wrong tubes alright but kind of just want to make use of what I have first before sspending any money.
    Tin foil sounds like a plan. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Cool whites are what you need. I use a 5 foot twin tube fixture. Built a box round it with cheap hardboard painted matt white. Don't use tin foil, matt white is the best reflective surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

redser7 wrote: »
    Cool whites are what you need. I use a 5 foot twin tube fixture. Built a box round it with cheap hardboard painted matt white. Don't use tin foil, matt white is the best reflective surface.

Some light blue plastic would help colour correct the bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Thought I'd give an update.
    I made no changes to the setup and this is 5 days on and there all doing really well. They were only planted 9 days ago and I think I can now call it a success, I had to re pot a few of them as they were hitting the under cabinet and bending slightly.

8481969919_8c1dd79f0b_z.jpg
    273 by , on Flickr

8481969313_0d1e212496_z.jpg
    274 by , on Flickr

8481968591_77c4344fd3_z.jpg
    275 by , on Flickr

Advertisement