Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering calling the gardai, advice pls!

Options
  • 12-02-2013 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

So I've got quite a serious problem that's now beginning to take its toll on my general emotional well being (coming from someone quite prone to depression re-occurrences). Advice sought Please.

The story goes thus, I've got a flatmate who sort of is now in the habit of skyping at the top of his voice at very odd hours of the night/morning ( I'm talking 12am through 3 am). During this periods he'd laugh and yell at the top of his voice, speaking in a foreign language, effectively depriving of any good sleep. Initially I had ignored him, thinking it was just a one or two day thing- i.e. maybe he had issues he was trying to resolve with someone, Alas! it has however now become an every night occurrence! Last night It got so bad and out of control, I had to leave my room and go sleep on a very small leather couch in the lounge (that's after repeatedly trying to get him to if not reschedule his calls, keep his voice down- his room is just by mine- he ignored me)!

I'm currently a post grad student on a scholarship and this is beginning to take its toll on my studies- couldn't read a line today- and my emotional well being.

You think I could call the guards and lodge a formal complaint (maybe when he starts at night)? I also know he uses marijuana sometimes although i currently do not have any clear proof of this (and quite frankly i doubt if I'd want to be responsible for any one bagging a criminal record or going to jail). Right now though I'm getting really frustrated.

As far as complaining to my landlord goes, naturally my interests and those of a landlord would diverge. From the stand point of the landlord a good tenant would be one who pays his rent on time. From my conversations with the landlord this guy doesn't seem to be defaulting in this respect. I doubt if the landlord would feel inclined to do anything decisive- more especially as a room in the house is presently vacant and another of the tenants has been asked to leave since he hasnt be forthcoming with his rents. I strongly doubt the landlord would want/ask this guy to leave; if he does, he'd be unable to pay the mortgage!

I'd have gotten an alternate accommodation myself but my tenancy was agreed to be for almost a year or more (I've just been here a month). Currently I haven't no spare cash for rent deposit for a new property!

Reasoned advice pls, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Stanton82 wrote: »
    So I've got quite a serious problem that's now beginning to take its toll on my general emotional well being (coming from someone quite prone to depression re-occurrences). Advice sought Please.

The story goes thus, I've got a flatmate who sort of is now in the habit of skyping at the top of his voice at very odd hours of the night/morning ( I'm talking 12am through 3 am). During this periods he'd laugh and yell at the top of his voice, speaking in a foreign language, effectively depriving of any good sleep. Initially I had ignored him, thinking it was just a one or two day thing- i.e. maybe he had issues he was trying to resolve with someone, Alas! it has however now become an every night occurrence! Last night It got so bad and out of control, I had to leave my room and go sleep on a very small leather couch in the lounge (that's after repeatedly trying to get him to if not reschedule his calls, keep his voice down- his room is just by mine- he ignored me)!

I'm currently a post grad student on a scholarship and this is beginning to take its toll on my studies- couldn't read a line today- and my emotional well being.

You think I could call the guards and lodge a formal complaint (maybe when he starts at night)? I also know he uses marijuana sometimes although i currently do not have any clear proof of this (and quite frankly i doubt if I'd want to be responsible for any one bagging a criminal record or going to jail). Right now though I'm getting really frustrated.

As far as complaining to my landlord goes, naturally my interests and those of a landlord would diverge. From the stand point of the landlord a good tenant would be one who pays his rent on time. From my conversations with the landlord this guy doesn't seem to be defaulting in this respect. I doubt if the landlord would feel inclined to do anything decisive- more especially as a room in the house is presently vacant and another of the tenants has been asked to leave since he hasnt be forthcoming with his rents. I strongly doubt the landlord would want/ask this guy to leave; if he does, he'd be unable to pay the mortgage!

I'd have gotten an alternate accommodation myself but my tenancy was agreed to be for almost a year or more (I've just been here a month). Currently I haven't no spare cash for rent deposit for a new property!

Reasoned advice pls, thanks!
    Find someone else to move in with you in place of the trouble maker...tell your LL your concerns and ask him to kick out the trouble maker and replace him with your better alternative ! Simples ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

call the cops.... tell us how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

What foreign language?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

No point in calling the Guards. Noisy roommates are not something the Gardai deal with. If you want to report the use of drugs you'll need some information they can act on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Guards won't do anything, this is a matter for your landlord.

On the other hand, you could shout & yell at the top of your voice while your flatmate sleeps on in the mornings. Won't take him long to get the message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Stanton82

Bloodwing wrote: »
    No point in calling the Guards. Noisy roommates are not something the Gardai deal with. If you want to report the use of drugs you'll need some information they can act on.

This guy isn't just a noisy roommate he is a horrible nuisance. Laughing and screaming at 1 am isn't just been noisy, it is making life unbearable for others. Surely the guards should be able to caution him for this? More particularly when it could result in a fight if i decide to act personally on it myself? He is making life unbearabe.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

This guy isn't just a noisy roommate he is a horrible nuisance. Laughing and screaming at 1 am isn't just been noisy, it is making life unbearable for others. Surely the guards should be able to caution him for this? More particularly when it could result in a fight if i decide to act personally on it myself? He is making life unbearabe.

He is being noisy, life being unbearable is the effect it is having on you. He is breaking no laws by laughing and screaming in his room. The Guards cannot "caution" someone to stay quite when they're in their own house. Noise complaints are dealt with by the district courts but that only relates to excessive noise and persistent noise such as loud music, building work etc etc. If it results in a fight the Guards will respond and will possibly arrest you.

This is a matter for you to resolve with your landlord. If he won't sort it speak to threshold, they will advise you of your rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

the council are the ones to ask, noise pollution is your arguement, this has worked before, try it, its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Phoenix wrote: »
    Have you actually tried to speak with the housemate in question first about his night time activity before taking further action?

Apparently he did
    that's after repeatedly trying to get him to if not reschedule his calls, keep his voice down- his room is just by mine- he ignored me)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

You can complain to your landlord about the noise and if he/she does nothing about it that could be reason for you to break your lease,leave and get your deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stanton82

mewe wrote: »
    You can complain to your landlord about the noise and if he/she does nothing about it that could be reason for you to break your lease,leave and get your deposit back.

I doubt my landlord would be willing to tell off another of his tenant when firstly, he has informed me that if he cannot replace the guy defaulting with his rent by the end of the month the bank would be forced to compel a sale of the property (since he'd be unable to pay the mortgage) and secondly when another of his tenant had just left a few days ago over a similar issue (this time it was a lass who was always bringing her boyfriend over-every night- screwing till around 4 am in the morning and making life some hell for the guy below her and myself. She left after some shaming pressure from myself and the lad in below). I doubt the landlord would be excited to entertain this issue. He might actually brand me a trouble maker?

If he asks me to go I currently do not have any money for a fresh month's rent plus deposit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I doubt my landlord would be willing to tell off another of his tenant when firstly, he has informed me that if he cannot replace the guy defaulting with his rent by the end of the month the bank would be forced to compel a sale of the property (since he'd be unable to pay the mortgage) and secondly when another of his tenant had just left a few days ago over a similar issue (this time it was a lass who was always bringing her boyfriend over-every night- screwing till around 4 am in the morning and making life some hell for the guy below her and myself. She left after some shaming pressure from myself and the lad in below). I doubt the landlord would be excited to entertain this issue. He might actually brand me a trouble maker?

If he asks me to go I currently do not have any money for a fresh month's rent plus deposit!

Well its not really what he's willing to do but what he's obliged to do in fairness. You have rights as a tenant. Meant to say too if ya were gonna go down that road do it all in writing and make copies.

If ya don't have money for a fresh months rent aswell i don't know what else to say except i wish ya luck that your situation improves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The passive agressive way of doing it would be to cut off the power using the fuse box and go to bed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not an issue for this forum.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement