Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tall goalkeepers have longer careers

• 12-02-2013 7:16pm

I've been thinking about this for a while, mainly because I have nothing else better to do. The reason I think the title of this thread might be true is that there are many examples of tall goalkeepers going on to play to, or at least close to 40. While the shorter goalkeepers seem to show signs of losing their talent before 35, sometimes even earlier.

Some examples of tall goalkeepers playing consistently well into their late 30's or to 40:

*van der Sar - retired at 40 while still on top form. Height 6 6'
    *Buffon - still playing at 35, won Serie A golakeeper of the year award for 2011-2012 season. Height: 6 3'
    *Schwarzer - still playing at 40 in the premiership. Height 6 5'
    *Friedel - Still playing at 41, played to a very high level until ousted by younger replacement Lloris.

Some examples of shorter goalkeepers that struggle(d) when over 30/nearing 35:

*Barthez - Left Man Utd at 32 iirc and struggled until retirement in 2006. Height 5 11'
    *Given - Ousted by Joe Hart at Man City when 34, failed to establish himself consistently since then, even with Villa. Height 6 1'
    *Valdes - Making more and more mistakes now and has called into question his future with Barcelona at 31. Height 6 1' (He could still step it up)

I could think of more examples the other day regarding the shorter goalkeepers. Maybe someone else has some, but the point is that the three shorter ones, especially the first two, played to a very high level then struggled once they went further and further from 30. The taller goalkeepers didn't. So what's your take on it? How important is height to be a great goalkeeper for a long time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

What height were Kevin Pressman and Mark Crossley? They started playing ball in the Bronze age to only retire not too long back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

That Mexican keeper, Campos or something who wore the really weird and colourful strips, was only 5' 8" or something but was a pretty decent keeper from what I remember. Dunno how long his career was, tho.

EDIT: Yeah, Jorge Campos. He was actually only 5' 6" and made 130 Appearances for Mexico!!! Jesus...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Campos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Buffon is 6 3'? I wouldn't say that's exceptionally tall though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Friedel is 2cm taller than Given, hardly significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Neville Southall 6 1' retired aged 44

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Massimo Taibi.....Height 6 3"

Just sayin....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Maybe its got to do with muscles, shorter keepers need to be more 'explosive' when diving to make up for the reach so as they age muscle power decrease. tall lanky keepers don't use the fast twitch muscles as much and also because they don't rely on relaxes as much they can read the ball better in terms of positioning.

Just my theory though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Neville Southall 6 1' retired aged 44
    Everyone was smaller during the industrial revolution though.a giant of his time.

Friedel is 2cm taller than Given, hardly significant.

Good point, I should have realised that but didn't even put his height in my post, I must have forgotten. I'd be interested to see the difference between their reach as Friedel looks a completely different build to Given. In fact Given looks heavier despite Friedel having about 5-6 kgs more on him.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Massimo Taibi.....Height 6 3"

Just sayin....:p

Well, he was never good... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Schwarzer - Height 6 5'

He doesn't look 6"5, I would of guessed 6"3 at the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Sick research.

DazMarz wrote: »
    That Mexican keeper, Campos or something who wore the really weird and colourful strips, was only 5' 8" or something but was a pretty decent keeper from what I remember. Dunno how long his career was, tho.

EDIT: Yeah, Jorge Campos. He was actually only 5' 6" and made 130 Appearances for Mexico!!! Jesus...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Campos

He retired at about 35 I think, maybe even 34. Amazingly short for a goalkeeper.
    Esse85 wrote: »
    Schwarzer - Height 6 5'

He doesn't look 6"5, I would of guessed 6"3 at the most.

I think some goalkeepers don't look tall because of their build, they tend to have exceptional reaches and thus wider shoulders so don't look so "lanky".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Fraser Forster from Celtic will probably play till he's 50 so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Definitely think it's to do with having to stretch those inches less to get to the ball. Inches can make such a difference when the body become less agile. Let the inuendos begin....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

So....

Goalkeepers are generally tall. Goalkeepers have longer careers than outfield players.

Mythbusted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dino Zoff, Peter Shilton, Pat Jennings, Nigel Martyn just to name a couple of the smaller ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Kristof Van Hout will play into his 50s so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Buffon is 6 3'? I wouldn't say that's exceptionally tall though?

In the modern era I would say anything less than 6'2 is approaching short. I agree that Buffon is normal height for a goalkeeper.

Friedel is about 6'1 according to his wiki which I would argue is short for a goalkeeper.

So not much to this theory, at least given the examples involved.

Fwiw I don't think we'll see any top class goalkeepers under 6ft in the future. Casillas is 6ft, but I imagine even someone of his height will be a rarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sacramento wrote: »
    *Valdes - Making more and more mistakes now and has called into question his future with Barcelona at 31. Height 6 1' (He could still step it up)

Victor Valdes is better than he's ever been in his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Toni Schumacher. He was Borussia Dortmund's goalkeeper coach in the 1990s. The last matchday 1996 (Borussia were crowned champions already), he came on as a sub in the Westfalenstadion for the last few minutes. I think, we was 46 or 47 :D

But I never bothered looking up, how tall he is...taller than me anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Toni Schumacher. He was Borussia Dortmund's goalkeeper coach in the 1990s. The last matchday 1996 (Borussia were crowned champions already), he came on as a sub in the Westfalenstadion for the last few minutes. I think, we was 46 or 47 :D

But I never bothered looking up, how tall he is...taller than me anyway :P

Wow Toni Schumacher mentioned for something other than the 1982 semi final
    That's a first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

1273065_full-lnd.jpg

14 years and counting. Still only 31 and a mere 6'0

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Casillas pic

Yeah but will he keep up the form up to and past 35? Or will he struggle as his athleticism fades? Great keeper but he's in his early 30's. My point was regarding keepers nearing and over 35.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Moneymaker wrote: »
    1273065_full-lnd.jpg

He has struggled quite a bit this past year and made a few mistakes. He was even dropped by Mourinho earlier in the season.

Advertisement