Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong caliber on grant letter

Options
  • 12-02-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

I've just got my grant letter for my new rifle. All the details are correct, except for caliber. It says .22 instead of .22-250. I presume it should say .22-250???

Should I pay it and sort it after or what should I do??

Thanks in advance!

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭deano2882

think .22-250 is a .22 calibre not 100% sure..me an my friend both have .22 magnums my licence says.22 his says .220 to be honest i think cops right hand dont no what the left hand is doing when it comes to firearms???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Tommy87 wrote: »
    I've just got my grant letter for my new rifle. All the details are correct, except for caliber. It says .22 instead of .22-250. I presume it should say .22-250???

Should I pay it and sort it after or what should I do??

Thanks in advance!

Tommy

Bring in your grant letter to the F.O. in your station and tell him the error. He can easily fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I would pay it and then ring the fpu and have them fix it on pulse and reprint 016661911

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

deano2882 wrote: »
    think .22-250 is a .22 calibre not 100% sure..me an my friend both have .22 magnums my licence says.22 his says .220 to be honest i think cops right hand dont no what the left hand is doing when it comes to firearms???

Is that all "cops"?

To the OP. Call into your FO and raise your concerns, im sure they will sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Read it on here before a few people have the same.. Does it say "of .22 inches"

Same as a pump action says single barrel shotgun.. because thats what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

garv123 wrote: »
    Read it on here before a few people have the same.. Does it say "of .22 inches"

Same as a pump action says single barrel shotgun.. because thats what it is.

Ya that's it "of .22 inches". So it's grand so do you reckon??

Ya that's it "of .22 inches". So it's grand so do you reckon??

My .22lr licence says .220 inches, my .223 licence says .223 inches. Take from that what you will

bravestar wrote: »
    My .22lr licence says .220 inches, my .223 licence says .223 inches. Take from that what you will

I think it's strange, I would have thought your .22 should say .22lr. The main reason is when I go to buy ammo with .22 on my license, would they sell me .22-250?? Do u see where I'm coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It's much like not stating the calibre on shotgun licences it dose'nt say 12g or 20g or .410 just shotgun bearing bla blaa blaa. Nothing to do with firearms was thought trough properly and it was all done by people who know nothing about them.

I think it's strange, I would have thought your .22 should say .22lr. The main reason is when I go to buy ammo with .22 on my license, would they sell me .22-250?? Do u see where I'm coming from?

Yea man I see exactly where your coming from and I have to agree, it should be very specific!

Juice, also agree, but that's a whole other thread right there! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

juice1304 wrote: »
    ............ then ring the fpu and have them fix it ..............
    That's "overkill". The FPU is not really for such uses. They are a "troubleshooting" agent, and this is a simple fix.

Go to your FO, inform him that the gun while technically a .22 caliber rifle is actually a 22-250, and you wanted to make sure that the license should or should not reflect this exact caliber.

Frankly i have seen numerous versions of the same caliber printed on licenses depending on district so it wouldn't concern me too much. What did you say on the FCA1 for caliber. Did you write 22-250 or 22. If you wrote 22-250 then i would just leave the license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭deano2882

cant say all cops as dont no them all and are friendly wit odd one when i go station about forms or out...but i handed my rifle app to one cop that hadnt a clue he left it on another cops desk to give it f.o but low and behold a month later i went in and f.o never seen my app i got straight on to super as form was lost and it was a cop that hadn a clue that lost it had to fill in another form got grant letter week after only coz i went straight to super about them messing about wit forms...nd as i said .22-250 is .22 cal so id say nothin if they pull u on it not u that f**ked up was the stupid no nothins in station....

deano2882 wrote: »
    ...nd as i said .22-250 is .22 cal so id say nothin if they pull u on it not u that f**ked up ...........
    Firstly under the law a Garda can make a complete balls of everything, and you are still responsible. The onus is on you to be correctly, and legally licensed. So the "it's their fault" will keep you warm at night when you have no gun, and are trying to avoid illegal possession of unlicensed firearm charges.
    ............ was the stupid no nothins in station....
    Secondly. Drop the attitude. Name calling is not permitted, and this applies to people/groups outside of Boards. If you have a legit complaint then do so in a civil manner. Foul language, and name calling is unnecessary and only serves to lessen your point's validity.

Lastly, and this is not a personal attack, but a request, and prerequisite of the forum. Perfect English is neither required nor demanded, but use a full stop or two. One continuous sentence makes for difficult, and strained reading leading people to ignore the majority of the post, thus loosing it's effectiveness.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

My hmr is "of .17 inches" I presume .22's are the same thing..
    Dont actually know whats stopping me from buying .17 hornet, .17fireball or .17remington ammo either.. all centrefire rounds.. but what good would it be to me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Firstly dont pay it. My 3 renewals were wrong this year .shotguns down as rifles and rifles down as shotguns and calibars wrong.
    What you have to do is mark the mistake and do up a short letter explaing what the mistake is and send it back to the SUPERINTENDANT not the local firearms officer.It will be amended within a week and then it will be right for the next 3 years.It actually tells you to do this on your grant letter if there is a mistake.

My .22 has always been marked down as of .220 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

My hmr just says "CZ rifle of .17 inches". I asked the FO,who knows his stuff, and he said it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

If you leave it as .22 inches will a dealer sell you 22.250 ammo without a licence? So you might have a gun with no ammo
    Any time i buy my ammo the dealer looks at the licence unless ive bought that ammo there before

If you leave it as .22 inches will a dealer sell you 22.250 ammo without a licence? So you might have a gun with no ammo
    Any time i buy my ammo the dealer looks at the licence unless ive bought that ammo there before

Ya that's what I'm worried about, it's fine in my local gun shop but when im up the country I always stop in a gun shop of I come across one. It's no big deal I suppose, just peace of mind.

Go to your firearms officer. No matter who you contact whether it's the Super, the FPU, the commissioner they will all revert back to your FO. S/he is the person that deals with them.

This is not a big problem, and can be fixed in one of two ways. You are told it's fine as is, or a re-print with a more specific description of the caliber is given.

However nothing will happen until you see your FO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Cass wrote: »
    Go to your firearms officer. No matter who you contact whether it's the Super, the FPU, the commissioner they will all revert back to your FO. S/he is the person that deals with them.

This is not a big problem, and can be fixed in one of two ways. You are told it's fine as is, or a re-print with a more specific description of the caliber is given.

However nothing will happen until you see your FO.
    Have to dis agree with you on this Cass ,when your grant letter comes ,it is wrote on it if any mistake send back to your superintendant ,maybe his secretary does get back to your firearms officer but i was going to cut out the middleman this time ,it was the only way i got any joy anyway ,local fire arms officer is not much kop, your lad is probably better to go to and might be more helpful, my sako quad went on for nearly a year :eek:.
    All the letters i send now to the super or fire arms officer are now sent by registered post so they cant say they never got it ,that is the type of messing i got with the quad,somedays i would be pulling my hair out with some of the incompetence

• Advertisement

lb1981 wrote: »
    Have to dis agree with you on this Cass ,when your grant letter comes ,it is wrote on it if any mistake send back to your superintendant ,
    As the granting suthority sits with your super all firearms applications are addressed to the Super. You cannot apply to your FO as he legally does not have the authority to grant or deny a firearm.
    ......... maybe his secretary does get back to your firearms officer but i was going to cut out the middleman this time .........
    When you apply you apply to the Super. S/He does not personally vet each person, and usually relies heavily on the FO for these duties. They also rely on the FO for their "personal" assessment of the applicant.

So i know, understand, and to a point agree with you on sending to the Super, but in effect you are including the middle man, not eliminating him, as the Super will turn to the FO to either fully deal with or partially deal with it.
    ............ local fire arms officer is not much kop, your lad is probably better to go to and might be more helpful,
    Well there is that. My FO, new fella, is great. Took a little bit to get his feet, but he is on the ball, and phones when he is not sure or needs to clarify a point. So i can understand your position.

However i always give the FO the opportunity to resolve the issue. It gives him/her their place, and as a "face to face" Garda you usually get quicker/btter responses than trying to deal with a Super. For that reason i would go to the FO first then if you get no joy then write directly to the SUper.

However in this scenario it's somewhat different. The OP is not waiting on anything and is in fact licensed. All they are seeking is a clarification or amendment of a granted license. So no matter who they deal with the OP can work away. However to try and get it resolved quickly i would try the FO, then the Super then the FPU. That, in my mind from previous experience, is the proper "chain of command" to follow for problems.

Advertisement