Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Haras Stout Draught

Options
  • 12-02-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, does anyone know if anywhere in the city does O'Haras stout on draft? Got some out in mad monk in midleton over the weekend and by god it's the nicest pint I'd say I've ever had. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not sure about O Hara's but You'll find Trouble Brewing Dark Arts in both The Abbot's Ale House, Devonshire St and The Bierhaus, Popes Quay.
    You'll find Shandon Stout in The Franciscan Well, North Mall.
    The Porter House, Mardyke Complex, Sheares St will have at least two of their own stouts on draught - Plain and Wrassler's XXX, I think.
    Sin É, Mutton, Oval, Vicarstown, Crane Lane and Bodega all have MiDazza which is a house stout brewed by the Fran Well for that chain of pubs.

While not O'Hara's, all the above pints of stout/porter are good and much more interesting than 'The Big Three'.

The Hub, just might have O'Hara's but I've not been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Not sure about O Hara's but You'll find Trouble Brewing Dark Arts in both The Abbot's Ale House, Devonshire St and The Bierhaus, Popes Quay.
    You'll find Shandon Stout in The Franciscan Well, North Mall.
    The Porter House, Mardyke Complex, Sheares St will have at least two of their own stouts on draught - Plain and Wrassler's XXX, I think.
    Sin É, Mutton, Oval, Vicarstown, Crane Lane and Bodega all have MiDazza which is a house stout brewed by the Fran Well for that chain of pubs.

While not O'Hara's, all the above pints of stout/porter are good and much more interesting than 'The Big Three'.

The Hub, just might have O'Hara's but I've not been there.
    Hey thanks for the detailed reply, but unfortunately I've tried all the rest and was specifically looking for o'haras. If anyone's ever out in midleton I strongly recommend getting a pint in the mad monk. The espresso notes make it one of the most unique tasting drinks out there. Amazing stuff. Any one know more about where to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If it's not in The Hub, I don't think you'll find it in Cork.
    Bierhaus used to have it as their regular stout but replaced it with Dark Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Funnily enough, today the bierhaus posted this pic: (look to the right)

600669_522981447744507_973979188_n.jpg

Actually I'd highly recommend the Zlaty Bazant lager also in the pic; really gorgeous Slovak beer

Recommended to me by the massive lad in the Abbot's Ale House offie, one of my favourites now,

I think they've had O'Hara's on tap for a good while, I remember buying a pint of it for a friend a good while back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I had stout for the first time properly a few weeks back. Both Wrasslers and Oyster in the Porterhouse. I liked them both, so I think I have been converted to stout. It's nice to add a style of beer to your range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I dunno if it's going to be on for much longer, but all stout lovers should try Shandon Stout on cask in the Fran Well. A hell of a lot better than the tap version.

Also, I'm hoping that there will be a cask version of their Jameson Stout on this weekend for the Cask Fest. There's talk of brewing another batch of it, which would be excellent, it's one of the finest drinks I have ever tasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Also, I'm hoping that there will be a cask version of their Jameson Stout on this weekend for the Cask Fest. There's talk of brewing another batch of it, which would be excellent, it's one of the finest drinks I have ever tasted!

Did you leave it at room temp? or slightly chilled?

I've a bottle myself, but preferred it a bit chilled, even though I was advised to drink it at room temperature.

On a different matter: I think I read somewhere that 8 degrees brewing were doing something similar, but with Jameson casks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

On a different matter: I think I read somewhere that 8 degrees brewing were doing something similar, but with Jameson casks

I was at a tasting session with them. I don't remember the beer they were brewing but they said they had the casks. This would have been during the summer.

Did you leave it at room temp? or slightly chilled?

I've a bottle myself, but preferred it a bit chilled, even though I was advised to drink it at room temperature.

Ever so slightly chilled, but I would take my time with it, so it does reach room temp eventually. Although, I would never drink any craft beer straight out of the fridge, I would let it warm up a bit to being slightly chilled before starting it. I still have one bottle of the stout left myself, just can't find a good enough reason to drink it. I just keep telling myself that I'm letting it age a bit. :p

The 8 degrees stout isn't with Jameson casks as far as I can remember, some other sort of whiskey casks, but it has been aging for a good few months now, longer than the Fran Well's stout did, and should be ready for St .Patrick's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Bierhaus used to have it as their regular stout but replaced it with Dark Arts.

Had a few pints of O'Hara's in the Bierhaus Sat so it's back! I must say though, I preferred their "Plain Stout"

• Advertisement

Just a heads up for all you stout lovers, the Fran Well have their Jameson Stout as well as O' Hara's Leann Fileann and Shandon Stout on cask tonight for the Winter Ales and Cask Festival.

Advertisement