Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left over tinned soup question?

Options
  • 12-02-2013 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I am trying to get two days out of a tin of soup, rather than pouring a 1/3 of it down the sink most days.

I know not to leave it in the tin obviously but how should I store the other half?

Is it ok in the covered dish in a cupboard (cool and dry) until the next day or should it go in fridge?

It's just ordinary Baxters cooked soup - meant to be just heated through.

(Please bare in mind I have a thing about keeping food in the fridge, I always think it absorbs the smells of other things) I know its covered etc but if I could get away with keeping it at room temperature I would be much happier...is this alright?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No, keep it in the fridge covered in cling film or in a sealed container.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No, keep it in the fridge covered in cling film or in a sealed container.

This is correct.

Once you open a can, the contents are no longer sterile, so you need to keep it in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

To be extra safe if I am going to keep tinned or jarred foods I put them in the fridge the day before. The moment a jar/tin is open it is contaminated, unless you are in a sterile lab. Keeping it cold reduces how fast the contaminants can grow, so by pre-chilling the food you are one step ahead.

Advertisement