Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florida, International Drivers Permit now required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your post has no actual link to a statement from the Florida Highway agency.

Your second link above shows Florida underlined but that just points to a Tripadvisor article which contains conflicting information. Some of the Tripadvisor posters agree with you, others do not and directly contradict you.

The International Driving Permit (IDP) is nothing more than a money-making racket for the AA and is effectively a certified English language copy of a non-English driving licence. As far as I'm aware you do not need an IDP when travelling to an English speaking country with a UK or Irish driving licence.

The US Embassy in London says the UK licence will do fine for driving in the US. I hardly think that Hertz or any of the car hire companies in the US will give you a car and unleash you on to the streets of any state in the US with a driving licence which is not acceptable to the local cops.

Will my British driver's license be adequate for renting a car?

The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license.

http://london.usembassy.gov/rctour.html/

If you disagree, please post a link direct to a Florida State highways agency which says that you need an IDP.

Edit:

From the Florida Tourist board....

To hire a car you must have your driving license, passport and a credit card.

No mention of an IDP.

http://www.visitflorida.com/uk/articles/driving-in-florida/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

It's not whether I agree or disagree, was just making potential travellers to Florida aware of an issue that was coming up on other websites.

As the cost of getting one will be about 0.18% of the overall cost of our trip this year, I'll get one, don't really want to have a 'The laws an ass' debate with a State Trooper / FHP officer for the sake of €15.00

Bit like travel insurance, relatively inexpensive, hope I don't need to use it but better have it anyway. As I said, all a bit of a grey area maybe but it's a new law and I don't know if it is or will be enforced, here is a link...

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/322.04

And the interesting bit

2. An International Driving Permit issued in his or her name in his or her country of residence and a valid license issued in that country.

And from tripwheels,

http://news.tripwheels.com/2013/02/11/international-driving-permit-required-for-florida/

And http://floridastatetravel.ipage.com/FloridaStateTravel/advicedetails.php?id=4

It seems to be the new rule ok, I'll grant you that but I still say that the IDP is just a money-making racket. The AA is now nothing more than a professional motorway recovery enterprise so I fail to see why they should have this role and it's mystifying why the Florida authorities want a document issued by a (commercial) third party in addition to an English language driving licence issues by a government agency.

You can't get an IDP without already having a full driving licence in your own country so the IDP means absolutely nothing when travelling in English speaking countries. It will be interesting to see if the Florida highway patrols and local sheriff's deputies enforce this, I can see the Florida Tourism authorities stepping in to tell them to lay off the Brits/Paddies and accept the UK/Irish driving licences. One headline in the Daily Mail about a Brit getting locked up and his family left on the side of the road will probably get it sorted PDQ.

Well, I don't really see the point of translating an english document into english either, I'd say it's possibly just a lazy bit of legislation, I could on the otherhand understand if the rental companies were pushing for it because of non-english wording on a license but it seems that they were caught unawares by this

Well, I don't really see the point of translating an english document into english either, I'd say it's possibly just a lazy bit of legislation, I could on the otherhand understand if the rental companies were pushing for it because of non-english wording on a license but it seems that they were caught unawares by this

+1 And they haven't yet updated their US website to warn travellers. I just asked Hertz for a quote for a car from Orlando airport next week and the licence requirements are stated generically for the whole US as follows....

An acceptable, valid driver's license issued from your country of residence must be presented at the time of rental. The driver's license must be valid for the entire rental period. If the driver's license is in a language other than English, and the rental is in the United States, an International Driver's Permit is recommended. In all cases, a valid driver's license issued from your home country must be provided, whether or not you possess an International Driver's Permit. You will not be allowed to rent a Hertz vehicle with only an International Driver's Permit.

Hertz are normally quick off the mark with changes to local traffic regulations, last year they had their France website updated with details on the alcolyzer requirement and by the time the grace period ran out they were including two such devices with each rental. It looks like as you say that they have been caught on the hop with the change in Florida rules regarding the requirement to carry an IDP.

I wonder if the requirement also extends to Canadian tourists in Florida?

Edit: Updated the first paragraph above to state that I was enquiring from Hertz.

• Advertisement

Alamo today confirmed they are still renting to all customers without an IDP so no worries from the car hire point of view. They do however recommend you get an IDP if you can, but that is more to do with if you are stopped by the Police. They are also working with lobbyists to have the bill removed. See quote below.

"We had no idea about this until the other day and are working with our legislative lobbyists to try to get this removed from the bill it was put on. We are renting to all customers but are suggesting in the meantime that everyone get the international driving permit just in case."

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/showthread.php/56575-International-Driving-Permit/page3

I believe Canadians will have to get one also!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Goretti Crompton

What I would like to know is... Why is it £5to get a permit in UK, and €20 from Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

What I would like to know is... Why is it £5to get a permit in UK, and €20 from Ireland ?

Its a tenner in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Goretti Crompton

Thanks for that info.. The site we were on said 20.if you could let me know where you say it for 10 I would be most grateful . Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Always go to directly to those providing the service, others may add charges and may even be scams. Here's AA Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

This has been suspended.

http://flhsmv.gov/IDP.htm

Advertisement