Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the average time to get a response from Justice.ie regarding visa extension?

Options
  • 12-02-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi, I am on a stamp 2 visa, I was told to write to general Immigration,Justice department for my visa extension.I wrote to them on December 18, 2012 but still did not hear from them.My question is did anyone have to write to justice.ie for extension?If yes how much time did it take for them to give a decision for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

can't help you regarding stamp 2, but they are notoriously bad for getting in touch with, either by phone or by email. They are better by snail mail and they will usually at least reply to you saying they received the letter and are dealing with the issue.

I would advise taking a day off work and trying their phone line. You will spend 2.5 hrs literally hitting redial, but I have heard here on boards that there is some sort of a glitch in the system, and if you literally re-dial 14 times or something it gets you through. Failing that, a visit to Burgh Quay. I would not be relying upon them to answer an email, or your visa might expire. Start by trying to phone, then next step write a hard copy letter and post it by registered mail, if no reply is received within 10 working days, head to Burgh Quay in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

Little Ted wrote: »
    can't help you regarding stamp 2, but they are notoriously bad for getting in touch with, either by phone or by email. They are better by snail mail and they will usually at least reply to you saying they received the letter and are dealing with the issue.

I would advise taking a day off work and trying their phone line. You will spend 2.5 hrs literally hitting redial, but I have heard here on boards that there is some sort of a glitch in the system, and if you literally re-dial 14 times or something it gets you through. Failing that, a visit to Burgh Quay. I would not be relying upon them to answer an email, or your visa might expire. Start by trying to phone, then next step write a hard copy letter and post it by registered mail, if no reply is received within 10 working days, head to Burgh Quay in person.

Thanks for the info.
    My visa already expired on jan 9, 2013 waiting for their reply, I wrote to them on dec 18, 2012 but still have no decision made or communication from them.I wrote to them and registered post it and also I emailed them.In email they replied saying your matter is being dealt with but that is some sort of automated mail.When I ring them the message says customer service on phone is suspended to dedicate all time on processing pending applications( What a reason to avoid phone calls!).I am really confused and my employer is asking for visa.
    Where is there physical address, I know GNIB on burgh quay, after entering that building where should I go for general immigration,Justice department?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Technically if your visa is expired you should not be working as you have no permission to do so. Sorry to preach, but leaving it until just before Christmas to re-new a visa which was expiring early in January was very very remiss on your part. Surely you knew they would be closed at Christmas? so you only left yourself 8 working days to get your visa?? come on! TBH if I was your employer I would be telling you to stay home until the matter is sorted, as they could be liable to prosecution if you are working without the required permit, as can you.

As for the phone being suspended - this is what I was saying about literally re-dialling over and over, and apparently (dunno how true it it) after so many consecutive calls you somehow get through. It was in a thread on here so I will try to find it. Dunno if it works, but worth a try.

As for specific directions??? do you want me to go for you?? :rolleyes: go to Burgh Quay, ask at front desk where to go, go where the man tells you. Simples. But be warned, get there early (it opens at 8am or 8.30 I think, but you would want to be queuing from at least 7.50), and be prepared for a long wait. You might be lucky, we have once been in and out in under an hour, but just the once. Usually its at least 3-4 hours to get everything sorted.

eTA...here is the link to the other thread. Post number 164.
    In the interim, we did try to contact the helpline (01-6167700 or *LoCall 1890 551 500 (Select Option 3 then Option 5)) a couple of times to see how things were coming along, but the line is only open on Thursdays from 10:00am-12:30pm. And more often than not I was greeted with a recording stating that, due to high call volumes, they were no longer bothering to take calls and all enquiries must be made by post. **Here’s a tip though: if you hang up and redial about 12 times in a row, a glitch in the system seems to finally put your call through to a representative (I know it sounds psychotic). Overall though, no one could really tell me where I stood or how much longer it would take. In the early stages, they were sort of helpful in answering questions related to what to put in the application, though. Just keep that in mind.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055870436&page=11

Thanks for the info.Since tomorw is thrusday I will try their phone.Regarding why I left my visa extension until the last moment,it's a long story.Putting it short, i did my masters in dublin and got a offer letter as a software developer(the job has severe shortage in Ireland), applied for a green card and it was rejected stating silly reason, applealed the decision again rejected and I got the letter of rejection only in dec just before christmas.
    Regarding the address , I went to GNIB many times, all I see is GNIB people but no other dept. over there, maybe I will ask someone there tomrw.And it is almost empty now every day.Will try my luck tomrw in burgh quay

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭maneno

The "GNIB" people are the ones who extend visas

• Advertisement

got the extension today after a letter from dept. of justice

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Little Ted wrote: »

If this is true then it is a terrible indictment on the state of Irish Institutions. Unfortunately I have had similar experiences with Justice, where the most simple of questions remain unanswered, and it seems no attempt is made by them to reply.

They have a complaints procedure and a Customer Charter.

The Customer Charter is here
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Customer_Charter
    although as of the 14th July 2013 it is dated from 2009 to 2011, so it is 19 months out of date. That is terribly unprofessional. The incorrect link is on every page of their website.
    I wrote to Justice asking if they currently have a Customer Charter... over 40 days later they have failed to answer that question. They have replied but they explain that it is such a difficult question for them that they need more time. More than 5 weeks apparently.
    It is incomprehensible to me how such a question can take five weeks to answer. My opinion is that they make no attempt to answer, something I do not appreciate.

Anyway, they have a Customer Service dept and the Dept of Justice claim in their expired Customer Charter to take complaints seriously and to provide a reply within 20 working days.

I've complained about the lack of response to the Customer Charter issue. I'll let people know if they're interested.

I got a work permit and then finally the Green card.

Advertisement