Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career Advice

• 12-02-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I am at a bit of a crossroads and I would like to get some career advice off a web designer. Can you guys recommend someone who would be good to ring?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

plenty. I'd need to know more information before i go handing out phone numbers though, as I'm sure you'll understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'll send you a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I am looking for advice about becoming a web designer or perhaps a more general IT professional.

I previously worked as a technology journalist. I understand HTML, some CSS, Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress. I have some Photoshop skills and I've managed and written online content for websites in several different roles. I also regularly complete Codeacademy lessons online but I've never actually designed a website. I am ECDL trained and in my current role I support the IT requirements of our staff. I tinker with machines in my spare time e.g. HTPCs.

My contract with my current employer has common to a sudden end so now I am stuck trying to figure what to do. I guess I'd like to know how long this kind of career takes to break into, if there's much work at the moment, what courses I should do (if any) and if it's possible to work full-time, part-time etc. I've read a few posts about they're being plenty of charlatans out there. I have family commitments too.

I'd appreciate any advice or contacts people here can offer via PM or otherwise.

Advertisement