Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy adoption fee?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

well considering the cost to the rescue / SPCA of keeping the dog for another month / year / however long you would think they'd be more than happy to hand them over without a charge...

So the rescue should do all of this and then expect absolutely no donation in turn? And how are they supposed to continue running? Grow a money tree out back? As DBB and ISDW stated, some vet bills can run right up into the hundreds, if not thousands, and rescues are supposed to just hand dogs out for free after that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

In 2011 i adopted a puppy from the same centre and the adoption fee was 50euro, now the adoption fee has more than doubled in cost, i understand that with the recession there has been an increase in the amount of dogs needing rehoming yet i have researched this topic and most shelters show only a slight increase in the amount of dogs being taken in each year and some even show a decrease. so please spell it out for me how the price has increased from 50 to 120 euro in less than a year and a half?

First of all, there's no need to be so aggressive with me OP, I was simply outlining why many rescues charge the fee they charge, just to help others understand.
    I have no intention of speaking for another shelter OP: ask them yourself!
    What I can tell you is that my fee for adoption had not changed in 6 or 7 years, despite veterinary care being much more expensive now.
    Where did you get figures for how many dogs various shelters are rehoming? I didn't realise there was such a figure available... I don't know any rescues who are asked to return these figures.. so I'd be interested to know where you got them from?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HotChocolate.1

Rommie wrote: »

So the rescue should do all of this and then expect absolutely no donation in turn? And how are they supposed to continue running? Grow a money tree out back? As DBB and ISDW stated, some vet bills can run right up into the hundreds, if not thousands, and rescues are supposed to just hand dogs out for free after that?

I never said that they shouldn't be rewarded for it I said that some people mightn't be able to afford the 120 euro but would make excellent dog owners! Did you bother to read the first post atall.

You know someone selling west highlands for €150?????? Don't think ive ever seen them for less than €300!

I'm assuming you got yours from a certain rescue in Louth? If you did, that lady should charge double - she does amazing work.

No I didn't get the puppy from Louth!

I never said that they shouldn't be rewarded for it I said that some people mightn't be able to afford the 120 euro but would make excellent dog owners! Did you bother to read the first post atall.

Yes I did, and if you read my post, you'd see that it wasn't directed at you, it was directed at cookiemonster who I quoted in my post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Rommie was quoting another post? :confused:

You seem very annoyed about all this OP.

DBB wrote: »

First of all, there's no need to be so aggressive with me OP, I was simply outlining why many rescues charge the fee they charge, just to help others understand.
    I have no intention of speaking for another shelter OP: ask them yourself!
    What I can tell you is that my fee for adoption had not changed in 6 or 7 years, despite veterinary care being much more expensive now.
    Where did you get figures for how many dogs various shelters are rehoming? I didn't realise there was such a figure available... I don't know any rescues who are asked to return these figures.. so I'd be interested to know where you got them from?

Google it !

well considering the cost to the rescue / SPCA of keeping the dog for another month / year / however long you would think they'd be more than happy to hand them over without a charge...

Jayney mac, no! I won't "hand over" a dog to just anyone! The deal us rescues make with the dogs we get in is that we'll find them the very best home possible for them. If that means holding onto them for longer, so be it. Handing dogs over to the first bidder is not rescue. It's just moving dogs around.
    Flippin hell, every rescue in this country would grind to a halt within a month if we expected to not only pay all those vet fees, but then give the dog away fro nothing! It's bad enough that we do it all voluntarily, indeed often dipping into our own pockets!

Whispered wrote: »

Rommie was quoting another post? :confused:

You seem very annoyed about all this OP.

But the same logics apply, if there going to incur costs of hundreds by feeding the dog would they not be happy to hand the dog over for any contribution instead of holding onto it and incurring more costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The snobbery and high horse responses on this thread are unreal. The OP asked a legitimate question and has been breated from the start.
    Then she says she knows someone who sells dogs for €150 and is informed that either she is lying or her friend is running a puppy farm.
    To top it all of a mod then gives her a warning for conduct!
    Fu(king crazy carry on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

No I didn't get the puppy from Louth!

Jeez just asking - most rescue westies in Ireland do. This forum is a bit loopy tonight - everyone's in a bad mood! 😨

Google it !

HotChocolate, you made the assertion, it's up to you to back it up. If you can't, then I'll just have to assume you made it up.
    I AM a rescue. So is ISDW. I am in constant contact with many rescues around the country. I can assure you, we are never asked how many dogs we rehome so that it can be put on a register somewhere, so I'm afraid I simply don't accept your assertion. So, back it up, and I'll ready myself to believe you!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Google it !

Google returns definite figures for the dog pounds, not rescues.

So can you please back up your argument that rescues have seen static, or decreasing numbers coming in in recent years?

And btw, telling people to google something is not the way to win an argument debate, either be prepared to back up your statements or admit that you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Sure you can buy a pup for €150, but in the vast majority of cases it will have been given just one vaccination, bought at the chemist and given by the breeder, which is illegal and untrustworthy. Pups sold for profit never have their second vaccination - the breeder wants rid at eight weeks or earlier if possible. You'll need a vet visit for the second vaccination and any vet would rather start the vaccinations from scratch than trust that the first one was given correctly, at the correct age and having being stored appropriately. Anyways the vet can't certify a vaccination given by some unknown person so the vaccination cert would be incomplete - useless if you wanted to put your pup in boarding kennels.

Any decent rescue I know of are neutering pups prior to adoption and if that's not possible, they ask for the same donation as they would for a neutered dog, so that when your pup is old enough for neutering you needn't pay anything to the rescue's vet.

Most people aren't too fussed about their dog's pedigree and will happily adopt a cross-breed or a specific breed without papers. There will always be people willing to adopt from rescue rather than pay out for a dog from a private seller simply because they enjoy giving something back and feel that giving a needy pup or dog a home is a good thing to do.

There is an awful lot to be said for paying a flat fee for a neutered, fully vaccinated, wormed and microchipped pup or dog. For one thing, with the animal already neutered, you don't have to go through the agony of watching your pet wear the cone of shame for ten days!

Most dogs don't have to stay in the system so long that the cost of keeping them begins to outweigh the requested adoption fee, but when that does happen, there is merit in halving or waiving the adoption fee, to draw attention to that dog. A lot of people will take pity on the dog for being passed over so often, and will likely make a full donation anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

If a potential owner was heart-set on adopting a dog, they would save up and plan for it. If they were free, people could just walk in off the street on impulse and adopt a dog. I get what you mean in that it doesn't cost much to get toys etc, but even putting aside 30 or 40 a week means you would have this fee in two or three weeks. I know my local rescue lets people "reserve" dogs that they want, so if you were absolutely in love with a particular dog, you could save over a few weeks and this would give you enough time to make sure your house and garden was dog-safe, and that you had toys and food prepared. Honestly, if you could only afford to maybe put away a tenner a week or couldn't afford to save at all toward this fee, you would be in serious trouble if the dog ever needed a visit to the vet, for neutering, or boosters, scratches from a dog fight, hurt pads from walking on broken glass, older age etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Google it !

what search term should we use, I just googled dog shelter numbers and just got links to a lot of Irish rescues and shelters, the first one was a well known and well respected rescue based in Galway, with this as the first part of the blurb on their site:

We regret to inform you that our kennels are currently full and we will not be in a position to take in dogs from members of the general public for the foreseeable future. This is an extremely difficult time for our staff, volunteers, and all animal rescue centres across the country. The number of stray dogs being rescued by compassionate members of the public has increased dramatically over the past number of weeks, and our centre is receiving a large number of calls from concerned members of the public. The number of dogs being brought into the local authority pounds is also at an all-time high.

Felexicon wrote: »
    The snobbery and high horse responses on this thread are unreal. The OP asked a legitimate question and has been breated from the start.
    Then she says she knows someone who sells dogs for €150 and is informed that either she is lying or her friend is running a puppy farm.
    To top it all of a mod then gives her a warning for conduct!
    Fu(king crazy carry on

I merely asked the OP not to back-seat moderate: it's against the forum charter, and in fact is supposed to warrant an official warning. No matter what, I will not let breaches of the forum charter slide. It's what I'm here for.
    If you have a problem with any post, report it.
    If you need to criticise any mod actions, please do so via the feedback forum, or contact the CMods. Do not bring it up on-thread again.
    Thanks,
    DBB

DBB wrote: »

HotChocolate, you made the assertion, it's up to you to back it up. If you can't, then I'll just have to assume you made it up.
    I AM a rescue. So is ISDW. I am in constant contact with many rescues around the country. I can assure you, we are never asked how many dogs we rehome so that it can be put on a register somewhere, so I'm afraid I simply don't accept your assertion. So, back it up, and I'll ready myself to believe you!

Oh because your a moderator I'm suppose to just except your ruling? You'd swear I was in the wrong here, all I did was ask a question & got abused and told I was lying? I've got three rescue dogs and wondered why the rate of adoption fees has gone up so drastically, but if this is how you moderate, giving me a warning and not anyone else who basically says I'm a liar then your not a very good one! Boards is supposed to be a place for discussion and not bullying? All I did was ask a simple question which required a yes or no answer! Never met so many ignorant people in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Honestly, if you could only afford to maybe put away a tenner a week or couldn't afford to save at all toward this fee, you would be in serious trouble if the dog ever needed a visit to the vet, for neutering, or boosters, scratches from a dog fight, hurt pads from walking on broken glass, older age etc.

I try not to get bogged down in that ShaShaBear, and I'm always willing to negotiate with a potential adopter over the adoption fee, if it's a genuine case of hardship. Rescues that don't homecheck tend not to be as flexible about the adoption fee as it's their only yardstick of how good a home it will be. You needn't be so rigid if you are doing homechecks. :)

The thing for me is, even if the person has plenty of money now to cover contingencies, that's not to say they'll always be in that position. Or that they wouldn't make self-sacrifices to ensure their pet gets the care it needs, if they were very short of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

boomerang wrote: »
    I try not to get bogged down in that ShaShaBear, and I'm always willing to negotiate with a potential adopter over the adoption fee, if it's a genuine case of hardship.

The thing for me is, even if the person has plenty of money now to cover contingencies, that's not to say they'll always be in that position. Or that they wouldn't make self-sacrifices to ensure their pet gets the care it needs, if they were very short of money.

Oh I agree, I mean in reference to the OP saying that some people couldn't afford to pay the full lump in one go - I'd figure that most people don't make a decision to just adopt a dog, and then go immediately to adopt one - they have a wee think about it first, or it's been at the back of their mind for a while. Most people know that rescue dogs do have an adoption fee, so after making the decision, I imagine people would put money away towards it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Oh because your a moderator I'm suppose to just except your ruling? You'd swear I was in the wrong here, all I did was ask a question & got abused and told I was lying? I've got three rescue dogs and wondered why the rate of adoption fees has gone up so drastically, but if this is how you moderate, giving me a warning and not anyone else who basically says I'm a liar then your not a very good one! Boards is supposed to be a place for discussion and not bullying? All I did was ask a simple question which required a yes or no answer! Never met so many ignorant people in my life.

you need to get out more ;)

Sorry OP, you didn't make it clear that you wanted a yes or no answer, I thought, that as you had posted on a discussion forum, that you were looking for a discussion.

So, in answer to your opening post - NO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm not a mod, and I've asked you also for you to back up your point?

Can you provide a link which proves rescues are seeing a static number/decrease in numbers of dogs coming into rescue?

Stheno wrote: »

I'm not a mod, and I've asked you also for you to back up your point?

Can you provide a link which proves rescues are seeing a static number/decrease in numbers of dogs coming into rescue?

I wasn't replying to you!!!!

I wasn't replying to you!!!!

Gosh that's a bit rude.

Can you answer the question I'm now asking you for the third time, and provide links to back up your assertion that there is the same number of or a decrease in the amount of dogs coming into rescue please?

No? I guess it's not a fact so?

Seriously OP this now just looks like you came on here expecting everyone to agree with you and when they didn't, you started getting annoyed and lashing out at everyone. The fact of the matter is that all rescues are struggling in this country, many are on the brink of closing down because they spend so much money helping animals. Why? Because they love them. But they need donations to ensure they can continue helping them. Maybe try volunteering in an animal rescue for a day or something and you'll see what hardships they are going through.

Ok.
    I've had just about enough of people coming in here and trotting out the "how dare you, you're a moderator" line. What a pathetic, pathetic line of defense.
    Now, I initially told you, HotChocolate, to report any posts you have a problem with. But you didn't. There are no reported posts in the file from this thread. Instead, when asked to clarify a pretty unbelievable statement you made, you claim you've been bullied, called a liar, and abused. But not one reported post.
    You're quite right that this is a discussion forum, but it is only open to those who discuss things civilly and respectfully towards one another. As you seem to be having difficulty doing so, I'm closing this thread, in utter frustration at the behaviour I've seen in it.
    Finally, if you have a problem with my moderating, feel free to bring it to the Feedback forum, or indeed to the CatMods.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement