Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting started in musicals

• 13-02-2013 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Firstly, apologies if this has been asked dozens of times before, but I'm looking for advice on how to get into musicals. I'm a 22 year old guy with no previous singing experience who would like to get involved with a G&S production. I've been on the aims.ie site and it all seems very intimidating. Is it too late to learn how to sing? And are there any beginners musical groups out there?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There's nothing to be afraid of, best way to learn is to jump right in.

You're going to struggle to find G&S, not a lot of that being done. The R&R are doing the Mikado in the autumn but they are quite an exclusive group and not really open to absolute beginners.

Musicals cost €30-120k+ to stage so there's no such thing as a group for beginners. There are some classes around but to be honest, a 90 minute class that does singing, dancing and acting is not going to teach you nearly enough to justify the fees.

Keep an eye on aims, this time of year is show season so not a lot of opportunities to get involved but come the autumn, several societies will be looking for people as a few put their main show on in November. Occasionally open nights/auditions are advertised on here but aims is the better source. As a guy, you'll be welcomed with open arms to any society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Definitely almost any musical society would be happy to have you if you have a few notes in your head. You probably know yourself whether you can hold a tune or not. If you can read music it helps but not the end of the world if you can't. Don't confine yourself to G & S, though you might find a society doing one. DMDS did Pirates of Penzance a few years ago and some others were doing it that year too. I'm not sure if that happens often though.

Advertisement