Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Beans

Options
  • 13-02-2013 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

Simple question- how do you cook green beans so they are soft and not all dry and chewy?

Whenever I cook them they are rubbery but I had them abroad recently and they were a revelation. I suppose a little added butter might help but how best to cook them?

I must be under or over doing them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I cook them al dente by boiling them, drain well, then put the saucepan back on the heat, add some butter and chopped garlic and cook them for a minute or two longer. Also, they are nicer if you top and tail the knobbly bits off the end

I love green beans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I *hate* undercooked "squeaky" beans :) I usually cook them 7-8 minutes, so they're just starting to go soft, drain, add a good knob of butter and lots of freshly ground black pepper and cook for a little bit longer, tossing them around in the butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

You should dump them into iced water just after they are cooked, this will refresh them, keep from going rubbery and maintain a better texture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You should dump them into iced water just after they are cooked, this will refresh them, keep from going rubbery and maintain a better texture.

Yup, this. Or pour them into a colander and run the cold water over them for a second.

Or, I throw them in a pot to cook with a spalsh of water.. so they are steaming, rather than boiling.

Advertisement