Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iec withdrawal advice please!!

Options
  • 13-02-2013 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

hi
    Ive started my application for the 2year visa, paid for it & now recieved the letter of conditional acceptance, i have not started stage 2 yet so does anyone know if I withdraw now can I apply again in a couple of years? or is that it you only get one go? I know you cant withdraw after you get the letter of introduction but I cant find any info about what happens if you withdraw before stage 2..
    Thanks!!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

I have the same problem, got my conditional letter of acceptance but for reasons outside my control I think I'm going to have to put off the whole Canada thing for a year or two... Is it too late for me to withdraw from the scheme now and have I just lost my only chance to go? :( Any help would be greatly appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Hiya folks i'm in sort of a similar boat to yourselves, I'm 50/50 on going or not having got the letter of acceptance, this will still count as a visa place, but check this out,

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?view=d

It states that:

"Starting 2013, Irish citizens who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) for a period of up to 12 months will be eligible for another participation of up to 24 months."

This to me gives the impression that yes, we can apply once again in the future for a 24 month visa

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

I know it might be unforeseen circumstances but there's people already over here with a life set up that were relying on this program to stay here.

Ye really should of made sure you wanted to go before reserving a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reckoner

Tonto "I know it might be unforeseen circumstances but there's people already over here with a life set up that were relying on this program to stay here.

Ye really should of made sure you wanted to go before reserving a place."

Maybe you should understand the term "unforeseen circumstances" before giving anybody a hard time mate!

As for your visa, you could message the IEC, but once the allowed timeframe for the conditional letter to expire passes (which is a few months away), it will just get knocked back

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

In all fairness saying "I'm 50/50 on going" is hardly unforeseen.

This thread is a snapshot of the people who applied. Imagine how many more reserved a place just in case they wanted to go.

I've heard of 4 people already over here who now have to go home because they couldn't get a place. The conditional acceptance is good for 6 months, how many do you reckon will bother to email to cancel?

If something genuinley happened out of your control that you didn't know when booking that's not your fault. If you reserved a place just because ya thought ya might wanna go maybe but weren't too sure if ya'd be ok will all the snow and such, that's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

djor88 wrote: »
    Hiya folks i'm in sort of a similar boat to yourselves, I'm 50/50 on going or not having got the letter of acceptance, this will still count as a visa place, but check this out,

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?view=d

It states that:

"Starting 2013, Irish citizens who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) for a period of up to 12 months will be eligible for another participation of up to 24 months."

This to me gives the impression that yes, we can apply once again in the future for a 24 month visa

No you can't. You've been conditionally accepted for a 24 month visa, that counts as you participating in the programme for more than 12 months. That quote from the IEC website states that only those who have participated in the programme for 12 months or less can apply again.

Tonto86 wrote: »
    In all fairness saying "I'm 50/50 on going" is hardly unforeseen.

This thread is a snapshot of the people who applied. Imagine how many more reserved a place just in case they wanted to go.

I've heard of 4 people already over here who now have to go home because they couldn't get a place. The conditional acceptance is good for 6 months, how many do you reckon will bother to email to cancel?

If something genuinley happened out of your control that you didn't know when booking that's not your fault. If you reserved a place just because ya thought ya might wanna go maybe but weren't too sure if ya'd be ok will all the snow and such, that's not.

Don't give out to this guy. Give out to the morons thinking they could stay in Canada for life on an IEC. Until you get a peice of paper that guarauntees you can stay in Canada, then expect to be sent home.

In fairness, if you based getting a new life on a visa designed for those who only want to travel around Canada for a year, then you should expect to be disappointed. Anything an IEC visa holder does to put down roots in Canada is a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

To clear things up here, my visa is from the 2012 batch of IEC visa's, a 12 month visa, issued last April when I had planned to go. Things came up job wise last year and I had been keeping the option of Canada to this year, my Letter of Acceptance will expire in April so I'd have to go by then. IEC website states that I could indeed apply for a second visa whether I use this one or not, It would only be my second visa in either case.

Tonto, 50/50 is what you call an expression, you don't know the full story as to the unforseen circumstances, they are unforseen, I've been to Canada many times before and would love to go but something's come up here in Ireland, now debating with myself whether or not to go...

Advertisement