Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Write?

Options
  • 13-02-2013 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Over 20 years ago a friend and I were as close as two people can be. We hung around together from our late teens into our early 20's and were the last of a small group. But as we both emigrated, to opposite sides of the world, we lost contact, and haven't spoken to or corresponded with each other since 1992. Close to the last time I saw her, her sister tried to commit suicide. She recovered but that's as much as I was aware of as I moved shortly afterward.
    I returned home about 6 years ago and I've made contact on Facebook with some of the people we hung around with. None of them have had any contact with my old friend since she got married and emigrated in 1996.

Yesterday, I met with one of the old gang and she informed me that my friends sister had died in 2003. She doesn't know how as she came across her name in an online obituary column. We don't even know where the girl is buried.
    Both her parents have since died and the only other family member, her brother, has also emigrated. None of us knew her extended family. One of the old gang knew her married name and the name of the town she lives in, in Melbourne but never made contact as they weren't so close. She's not on Facebook or any social media for that matter, so the only way to get in touch is by post.

Here's my dilemma. I want to send my condolences to her. I just feel it's the right thing to do, even if it is 10 years late. But I'm unsure how to write the letter. Has anyone done this before? I have obviously considered that it may bring up bad memories, and nobody I know is aware of how her sister died, so the possibility of suicide can't be ruled out. So I'm torn. Should I write to her? Or would it be better, after all this time to just let it go? Bear in mind that when I heard, my first thoughts were for my old friend, and how she must have felt. I cried for her last night.

I would appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

When my father had been dead for two years, I received a letter from an old neighbour sympathising with my loss.
    It was simple, and brief, and just said something to the effect of
    "Dear Kablamo!,
    I was very saddened. to hear about the passing of *****. I heard at the time but could not make the funeral and then was not sure if I should contact you or not. However, myself and your father were good friends once and I often thought of him fondly. I am sorry for your loss."
    It certainly did make me cry, obviously brought up old memories, but whenever that neighbour is mentioned now I think of him very warmly. It meant that someone besides myself still thought of him and cared enough about me to wish me well. It took five minutes out of his day to pen those few words but the fact that he took the time to do so meant an awful lot to me.

Advertisement