Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS on different Home Network Domain

Options
  • 13-02-2013 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

I've 2 NAS boxes which are still set with a Domain called MSHOME. This was the domain name of our Network yonks ago. All PC's in the house have Windows 7 installed now in a HomeGroup.

My Openelec XBMC clients when browsing SMB shares see the Nas boxes in the MSHOME domain and all the other PC's in a Domain called WORKGROUP.(Which I assume is the Domain name of the Windows 7 HomeGroup. ie. One and the same???)

Are there any implications to this. Is it slowing down the transfer speeds to and from the NAS boxes (DLink DNS323's) I get max 7MB/S Writes and Max 14MB/S Reads whereas most people seem to get 14/20 on their DNS323's

Is it slowing down the Negotiation malarkey that I read about. Master Browser etc. Theres always a random PC at any given time that doesn't seem to have the updated master browser list or whatever its called and can't see one or both of the NAS on the network.

I've mapped the NAS drive Volumes on all the PC's but I just can't get the rest of the 'Morons' in the house to navigate to the NAS this way instead of via Network & Sharing Centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Doubt it. Once the client is connected, name resolution is done - can't see that slowing down transfer speeds.

Advertisement