Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TK Maxx to open in the Ilac Centre

Options
  • 13-02-2013 7:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

Good news for the northside of the city centre as TK Maxx to open store in the Ilac. I heard they had try to buy the Clerys site a few months ago. I think the Ilac is a better suited location for TK Maxx. The Clerys building should remain an iconic department store type shop.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2013/0213/1224329974083.html

TK Maxx for Ilac centre

Dublin’s Ilac shopping centre is in for a boost following the decision by the fashion group TK Maxx to open a large new outlet there in the coming weeks.

TK Maxx is due to trade out of the two-storey 3,251sq m (35,000sq ft) former Dunnes Stores shop on the Moore Mall. Iceland occupies part of that space.

The fashion group is due to pay a rent of around €500,000 for the new store, its 16th in Ireland, but is expected to get a rent-free period of up two years.

The success of TK Maxx in Ireland has encouraged the company to look for other suitable outlets.

Jason Miller of Colliers advises TK Maxx while Michael Harrington of CBRE is agent for the Ilac.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Will be a nice addition and nice to see they are thinking by attracting business with rent free options as that stretch of the lilac was pretty poor last time I was there. Hopefully it will encourage similar ventures in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Well, after a long delay (apparently some dispute with the Iceland owners about the lease on that unit which TK Maxx will be occupying), the hoarding is up with coming soon signs for TK Maxx. Interestingly, some of the nearby traders are not happy. According to the article below, it looks like some traders units are being taken over to accommodate TK Maxx.

http://www.africaworldnewspaper.com/tk-maxx-swallow-grocery-retailers-on-ilac-centre-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Great!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Has Iceland moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

MYOB wrote: »
    Has Iceland moved?

Closed down along with the Euro shop beside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Excellent news! Do they have a date they are looking to open by?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hopefully soon, it'll be a welcome addition to the Henry St shopping area. I just hope the store they occupy has the space they actually need, the one in Stephens Green is way too packed with clothes with narrow aisles between the rails, which means finding things in there is tiresome as people are constantly asking you to move to get by. The TX maxx in Blanch and the Pavilions in Swords have far more space and shopping there is a breeze compared to the one in Stephens Green. I just hope the Ilac one isn't too small for all the different items they carry, though I fear it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

ongarboy wrote: »
    Well, after a long delay (apparently some dispute with the Iceland owners about the lease on that unit which TK Maxx will be occupying), the hoarding is up with coming soon signs for TK Maxx. Interestingly, some of the nearby traders are not happy. According to the article below, it looks like some traders units are being taken over to accommodate TK Maxx.

http://www.africaworldnewspaper.com/tk-maxx-swallow-grocery-retailers-on-ilac-centre-dublin/

Bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Hopefully soon, it'll be a welcome addition to the Henry St shopping area. I just hope the store they occupy has the space they actually need, the one in Stephens Green is way too packed with clothes with narrow aisles between the rails, which means finding things in there is tiresome as people are constantly asking you to move to get by. The TX maxx in Blanch and the Pavilions in Swords have far more space and shopping there is a breeze compared to the one in Stephens Green. I just hope the Ilac one isn't too small for all the different items they carry, though I fear it will be.

Totally agree, the Stephen's Green one can be painful, it can be like a maze getting around all the blocked up aisles, blocked by people browsing.

I'm sure it'll take a few months to fit out the Ilac Centre one, I'd say there's a lot of structural work to be done which takes time. My guestimate based on absolutely nothing will be an opening by late May :D

A welcome addition to the Ilac and hopefully it'll brighten up Moore Street a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Anybody know how to apply for jobs there?

• Advertisement

Nothing on their website maybe just email them its possible they haven't started hiring for it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Totally agree, the Stephen's Green one can be painful, it can be like a maze getting around all the blocked up aisles, blocked by people browsing.

I'm sure it'll take a few months to fit out the Ilac Centre one, I'd say there's a lot of structural work to be done which takes time. My guestimate based on absolutely nothing will be an opening by late May :D

A welcome addition to the Ilac and hopefully it'll brighten up Moore Street a bit!

Agreed, I avoid the Stephens Green branch totally now as it's just too squashed in there. The thing about TK Maxx is that there are bargains mixed in amongst the tat (which is probably 75% of what they have!) but to find the decent bargains you need to do a lot of searching, you could spend 30 minutes finding 2 or 3 items that you'd actually wear and aren't some gaudy colour and are the correct size. Stephens Green branch is so mobbed and squashed its impossible to find what you want without stress levels rising- it feels like Christmas Eve every day of the year in there !

Now that I think of the old Dunnes Stores grocery shop in the Ilac where TK maxx is setting up it might actually be big enough as the unit has an entire upstairs section that Dunnes and Iceland only ever used as storage and a small cafe. I doubt TK maxx is going to let the cafe remain so that should mean the entire ground floor is dedicated to women's clothes with the entire upstairs for men's and homewares. If they use all the available space then hopefully it'll be a more pleasant shop than at the Green and also save me having to go to their Swords or Blanch branches.

I reckon they'll fit it out pretty fast as they're in expansion mode in Ireland and therefore should have all the fittings and fixtures ready to go from some warehouse in the UK or mainland Europe. My guess is mid to late March.

Try http://www.tkmaxx.com/content/ebiz/tkmaxx/resources/careers/jobs/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Does anybody know if TX Maxx's new amalgamated unit will have frontage onto Moore St, or will access be from within the ILAC only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

I thought TK Maxx was going into Dunnes' other store at the other end, it is much bigger also Dunnes shouldn't need that space as they already have the newer larger store fronting Henry St.

Ilac management should have had a word with Dunnes to get them to move out for TK Maxx and Iceland can stay put. I don't think anyone will lament the loss of Iceland as there's Tesco Metro, Lidl & Aldi on Parnell St.

The old Iceland premises may be too small for TK Maxx though I guess it would not matter much as it may relieve the Stephens Green branch of shopper congestion. Saves anybody from having to go all the way to Grafton St if they don't feel like it. There are really small TK Maxx branches in England with the one in York city centre for example.

Looks like another retailer would be taking Dunnes' other premises should Dunnes decide to move out in the future. Dunno why they are still trading there with all that excess space when they have the modern larger Henry St branch?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Anyone know the opening date of Tk maxx in the ilac?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Buddy'

I was in the Ilac yesterday and the signs all said it was opening in june but didn't give a specific date.

On a second note, has anyone applied for a job there and heard anything from them yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Buddy' wrote: »

On a second note, has anyone applied for a job there and heard anything from them yet?

Think they've hired there staff, know someone who got a job for there a couple weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I liked Iceland and the cheap shop beside it :-(

dsmythy wrote: »

The Iceland shops were all owned by a franchise after Iceland UK pulled out but Iceland UK are having another pop at Ireland so they bought them all back so I would imagine we will be seeing another one in the area soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

dsmythy wrote: »

Any idea if the cheap shop beside it opened anywhere else or plans so? Always found stuff in there that i can't get in dealz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Any idea if the cheap shop beside it opened anywhere else or plans so? Always found stuff in there that i can't get in dealz.

Yeah was handy, way more interesting than tk max. I know a lot of people like it. Me I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Bummer1234 wrote: »

Same here .Hope they both open nearby again

Wasn't that cheap shop just another euro shop of which there are millions in that area? What did it sell that you couldn't get anywhere else?

This article below gives more info on the TK Maxx opening in June and a revamp of the Moore Street Mall which badly needs upgrading (the ceiling there looks like are holes in it with cheap netting covering it! :eek:). It compares badly with the rest of the SC which looks quite well. The tattier shops are finally being replaced by more quality stores. There was one recently closed menswear shop that used to have the same 1990s brown leather bomber jacket (a la Jim McDonald from Coronation Street! :D) in the window since....well... the 1990s!

http://www.gazettegroup.com/outabout/upbeat-ilac-centre-nears-full-capacity/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Earendil wrote: »

13th or 14th of June mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Wasn't that cheap shop just another euro shop of which there are millions in that area? What did it sell that you couldn't get anywhere else?

It had many things you wouldn't find elsewhere from the sweets and the drinks to the non-food. I hope they open up somewhere else.

Earendil wrote: »

Well according to the TK Maxx website, it will be Thursday, June 12th. This must be the longest planned opening of a store - thread started 16 months ago!

Still, all in all a good addition to Dublin's northside!

http://www.tkmaxx.ie/news.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Well according to the TK Maxx website, it will be Thursday, June 12th. This must be the longest planned opening of a store - thread started 16 months ago!

http://www.tkmaxx.ie/news.php

Lots of renovation to the store is probably what held it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

There was also a dispute with Iceland if I recall. I think that they argued that they had an entitlement to a lease renewal (or something like that...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bill Lee

]

Large sign on the front of the store says the 12th, I walked past it today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement