Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shakhtar Donetsk v Borussia Dortmund (SS4/Setanta Ire)

• 13-02-2013 8:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭

schachtar_donezk_logo.png v dortmund.gif
    Predicted Shakhtar lineup (via whoscored).

Pyatov - Rat, Rakitsky, Krivtsov, Srna, - Fernandinho, Hübschman, - Costa, Mkhitaryan, Teixiera, - Adriano (4-2-3-1)

Predicted Dortmund lineup.

Weidenfeller - Schmelzer, Subotic, Hummels, Piszczek, - Sahin, Bender, - Kuba, Götze, Reus, - Lewandowski (4-2-3-1)

Dortmund have a few injury concerns, Schmelzer missed the game at the weekend with flu but is expected back. Gündogan only played the last 25 minutes on Saturday as he recovers from toe and thigh problems, but he has not even traveled with the team to the Ukraine. Kevin Grosskreutz is also not available as he has pneumonia. Sahin will probably start in midfield again in place of Gündogan, one would hope he improves on his Saturday performance, he was sluggish and sloppy but he has not been playing much.

Dortmund will throw everything at the CL now as the gap between them and Bayern in 1st was widened to 15 points after a 1-4 loss at the weekend.

Shakhtar haven't played a competitive game since December, but they have played 7 friendlies (W6, L1). I don't know if the team whoscored.com predicted is correct, but I was expecting Taison to make his debut. I'm not bothered looking at the Ukrainian google this early to check. Shkahtar sold Willian in January of course, but not to worry..they still have about 15 Brazilians to choose from :)

Should be a good game - Shakhtar 1-1 Dortmund is my prediction.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Very contrasting team in the CL to the one in the Bundesliga, and while we're well capable of getting a win out there, seeing us defend collectively like utter spacks over the weekend has me jittery for this for the first time in awhile. Would take a single goal loss so long as we score tbh. Can't see there not being a few goals in this game, ditto both teams will surely score tonight.. I'll be somewhat positive and go for a 2-2 in a very entertaining game.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Expecting a close game, either 1-0 or 2-1 Shakhtar, really is a tough place to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can see this being a high scoring game. I think Shaktar will keep pushing all night to try and get a good lead and could get caught on the counter. The big problem this year for Dortmund has been their defense which has not been up to standard.

I'm really torn as to which game to watch tonight. This one is attracting me a bit more but the other one is a real big game with two huge clubs facing each other. Its such a pity these two are on the one night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

To solve the problem of deciding which game to pick I'm going to bring down another T.V. and Sky Box and watch both, this game should be excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I would be happy enough with a draw, an away goal would be vital though.

Looking forward to the match anyway, even if Nuri Sahin will be faster than me as usual, posting Borussia's goals ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Should be a great game, hopefully both teams will go at it.

d2c6848feaacb831eca4b195f34e8549.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Very interested to see this Taison play tonight. He is the replacement for Willian and I've heard some people rave about him when he was at Metallist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Kehl & Bender, little bit surprised Sahin was dropped but I suppose he still isn't fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Willian is a massive loss to Shaktar.
    Dortmund to get a result here tonight imo.

• Advertisement

Solid performance by Howard Webb so far :mad:

Woodwork :(

Borussia Dortmund's supporters in good form as usual...they met in a pub called 'Liverpool' before the match. Just heard that on Borussia's netradio :cool:

Silly, silly foul from Santana.

Great freekick.

Weidenfeller should have got to it looking at the replay, very poor from him.

Santana and Weidenfeller ffs!

Balls...Roman Weidenfeller should have got that one...I suppose :(

Nice one, Lewy!

Get the **** in, Lewy scores. 1-1

More than deserved :)

That's the away goal...more please :cool:

Weidenfeller is gonna make me put my foot through my tv screen!

• Advertisement

Weidenfeller :o

He makes some great saves, but he makes an awful lot of mistakes too. He's a bit like Jaroslav Drobny.

he has made too many mistakes the past few months.

Best form of defence is attack, hope we go for it here. Surely Shaktar will improve somewhat for 2nd half though.
    Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Weidenfeller :o

He makes some great saves, but he makes an awful lot of mistakes too.
    He's a bit like Jaroslav Drobny.

he has made too many mistakes the past few months.

Always been error prone and a weak link.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Best form of defence is attack, hope we go for it here. Surely Shaktar will improve somewhat for 2nd half though.

Always been error prone and a weak link.

Funny, isn't it? Two years in a row the best defense, and this season? :(

Shakhtar attackers starting to find success in doing what Rudnevs/Son did on Saturday - Pressure Hummels/Santana and force a mistake.

The midfield needs to push up a bit when Dortmund have the ball in their own half.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Funny, isn't it? Two years in a row the best defense, and this season? :(

Best defence 2 years ago in spite of him I felt. Shame, as he's a really nice guy by all accounts plus Mrs. Weidenfeller is lovely :P

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Best defence 2 years ago in spite of him I felt. Shame, as he's a really nice guy by all accounts plus Mrs. Weidenfeller is lovely :P

To be honest, it was the defenders, like Schmelle or Kehl ;)

Sigh..

Ouch, Douglas Costa makes it 2-1.

What is wrong with Hummels recently? :(

Shocking defending, but a great finish to be fair.

• Advertisement

I blame Oatesy, didn't he predict, Hummels would come up with a mistake? :eek:

;)

Thought Lewy scored there!

**** Fernandinho, really nasty!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HUMMELS!!!

Hummels! :D

Hummels! :D

That one is dedicated to you :cool:

• Advertisement

That one is dedicated to you :cool:

You're thinking of someone else. I never predicted a Hummels mistake ;)

You're thinking of someone else. I never predicted a Hummels mistake ;)

Post #25? ;)

Happy with that :) Still much improvement needed defensively! Hopefully Gündogan will be back for the 2nd leg!

Post #25? ;)

That was their strategy, not my prediction :D

Didn't really come off a forced mistake, it was just very poor defending from a long ball.

That was their strategy, not my prediction :D

Didn't really come off a forced mistake, it was just very poor defending from a long ball.

Right, but a good strategy ;)

Not a bad result in the end, the affair will be settled in the Westfalenstadion anyway :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Who was the better side here? The winner of this game could be a good outside bet.

Johner wrote: »
    Who was the better side here? The winner of this game could be a good outside bet.

I put a wee Tenner on Borussia after they beat Madrid 2:1 at home in the group stages, 9/1 the price. They are down to 15/2 now, so I heard.

Johner wrote: »

Shakhtar were pretty good but Dortmund were nowhere near their best. If they were they would have won comfortably imo.

Shakhtar were pretty good but Dortmund were nowhere near their best. If they were they would have won comfortably imo.

Lewandowski missed a sitter, that didn't happen last year or the year before. He must be in Munich in his mind already :(

And other teams know by now, how to crack the defense :(

Advertisement