Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosses Point NS Olympic race

Options
  • 13-02-2013 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

Opening at 9am for entries. Today.

Via Triathlon Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Opening at 9am for entries. Today.

Haha, you just beat me to it by 5min :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

€45. Bargain. I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Haha, you just beat me to it by 5min :)

If only I could do the same in a race!

I'm in too.

Week after Tri an Mhi so should be interesting :)

Is it too early to organise post race pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

BTH wrote: »
    €45. Bargain. I'm in.

You reckon? Personally I think it's a bit steep but it's the accepted norm

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    You reckon? Personally I think it's a bit steep but it's the accepted norm

The norm seems to be €45 for a sprint and €60 for Olympic races.

Lanesboro sprint is €45. For a sprint.
    Athy Olympic €50 (last year)
    Athy Sprint €40 (last year)
    Brian Boru Olympic €55 last year
    BOTE €55 last year

Just the ones I could find quickly in my e-mail.

And, on facebook, just been told that but for the requirement of AG prizes for each AG, the price would have been €40.

I still think they're too expensive but if you want to race what can you do as there are no cheaper options?

Anyway, its a cracking venue and a really well organised race.

From the Sligo Tri Club Facebook page:

Just a note that we warned you that the Olympic distance race will sell out. The race filled in record time of 22 minutes. Looking forward to May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Yikes well that has taken the decision out for me on whether I would enter or not - that was a quicker sell out than Kilkee, I assume less numbers though.

Good to see it selling out though - with a few extra races in Connacht this year there would have been egg on our faces over this side of the Shannon if they didn't get the entries

catweazle wrote: »
    Yikes well that has taken the decision out for me on whether I would enter or not - that was a quicker sell out than Kilkee, I assume less numbers though.

Good to see it selling out though - with a few extra races in Connacht this year there would have been egg on our faces over this side of the Shannon if they didn't get the entries

No longer sold out. Technical glitch somewhere. Move fast CW.

AKW, where you recommend for a pint? :D

• Advertisement

Ha the good old TI server - was surprised they could handle a sell out of such speed!

My bluff has been called however - will keep my powder dry till we hit balmy and sun kissed June :o

catweazle wrote: »
    Ha the good old TI server - was surprised they could handle a sell out of such speed!

My bluff has been called however - will keep my powder dry till we hit balmy and sun kissed June :o

Get in there CW, it's a cracking race!

I entered but didn't get a confirmation email. Is there an issue with the site or is not getting an email the norm?

No a wedding the week before - will be out the following week most likely in Triburgh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The norm seems to be €45 for a sprint and €60 for Olympic races.

Lanesboro sprint is €45. For a sprint.
    Athy Olympic €50 (last year)
    Athy Sprint €40 (last year)
    Brian Boru Olympic €55 last year
    BOTE €55 last year

Just the ones I could find quickly in my e-mail.

And, on facebook, just been told that but for the requirement of AG prizes for each AG, the price would have been €40.

So the 40 euro is for costs and profit only?

Is this a club race?
    Or a commercial race?
    Or a commercial race that a club pretends is a club race

tunney wrote: »
    So the 40 euro is for costs and profit only?

Is this a club race?
    Or a commercial race?
    Or a commercial race that a club pretends is a club race

Its a club race as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Sligo Tri Club is definitely run on a not for profit basis. If the club makes any money it goes directly back into the development of triathlon in our area i.e coach training, training days, venue hire, track hire, pool hire, race equipment, running training races. In 2012 the club ran all of our races at a slight loss. It really all depends on the support of local sponsors. Our aim is to try and put on a decent race that offers good value for money race. I personally agree with some of the points made earlier re cost. Unfortunately due to significant costs added for food, race numbers, swim hats, participant bags, prize money, chip timing, race rentals and age group prizes prizes for everyone never mind race rentals you can see where the cost add up.

In the ideal world we could run a race that has finish time only, all members are issued with an annual race number (like cycling) no participant pack, BYO swim hat & food and only prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. I say we could run a race for €15. Its not Sligo tri club or any other club that stipulates the rules. We just follow them like everyone else.

pgibbo wrote: »
    I entered but didn't get a confirmation email. Is there an issue with the site or is not getting an email the norm?

I got a confirming email that all yer money has been transfered to my account :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

happy days. How about some shares in the company in exchange

P2C wrote: »
    happy days. How about some shares in the company in exchange

Too late to try and bribe me with race entry, got ours in early before the hiccup.:)

• Advertisement

AKW, where you recommend for a pint? :D

We can start at Harry's and go from there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

P2C wrote: »
    Sligo Tri Club is definitely run on a not for profit basis. If the club makes any money it goes directly back into the development of triathlon in our area i.e coach training, training days, venue hire, track hire, pool hire, race equipment, running training races. In 2012 the club ran all of our races at a slight loss. It really all depends on the support of local sponsors. Our aim is to try and put on a decent race that offers good value for money race. I personally agree with some of the points made earlier re cost. Unfortunately due to significant costs added for food, race numbers, swim hats, participant bags, prize money, chip timing, race rentals and age group prizes prizes for everyone never mind race rentals you can see where the cost add up.

In the ideal world we could run a race that has finish time only, all members are issued with an annual race number (like cycling) no participant pack, BYO swim hat & food and only prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. I say we could run a race for €15. Its not Sligo tri club or any other club that stipulates the rules. We just follow them like everyone else.

Wow. I thought this type of thinking had died out. Well done to everyone in your club. The entry price is very reasonable for an Olympic. Excellent work.

If injury free I would definitely sign-up right now. Might try and secure myself a late entry from someone pulling out closer to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I'm in too but only entered now. My first race of any kind in my native Sligeach:)

(I thought it was sold out going by earlier posts?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

I got a place too. Any excuse to race in the north west, it helps to have friends up there so that is accomodation sorted. Cannot find route info as of yet but swimming can be a challenge up there on the best of days :)

€45 is on the low side for an NS Olympic distance race these days to be fair. As an NS race I believe prizes for one and all is a requirement, a bit of a case of overkill IMO. By all means acknowledge AG winners, even AG top 3's but no prizes, instead have decent overall podium prizes.

BTW do goody bags cost anything? Isn't it sponsors that fill them? Not that I know anything about them as Linda gets first dibs on anything of any good in them....I'll never forget you Giro sunnies from HoTW 2012 :(

@abhainn it still seems to be open for entry so....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I got a place too. Any excuse to race in the north west, it helps to have friends up there so that is accomodation sorted. Cannot find route info as of yet but swimming can be a challenge up there on the best of days :)

€45 is on the low side for an NS Olympic distance race these days to be fair. As an NS race I believe prizes for one and all is a requirement, a bit of a case of overkill IMO. By all means acknowledge AG winners, even AG top 3's but no prizes, instead have decent overall podium prizes.

BTW do goody bags cost anything? Isn't it sponsors that fill them? Not that I know anything about them as Linda gets first dibs on anything of any good in them....I'll never forget you Giro sunnies from HoTW 2012 :(

@abhainn it still seems to be open for entry so....

The NS is an AG competition.

Overall placings, both in races and in the NS are meaningless. If anything there should no prices for overall in NS races.

Organisers want the draw and kudos of being and NS race then they need to accept the requirements of being an AGer competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Changed my mind on doing the local race planned for that weekend and replaced it with this instead, in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Got my entry in 5 mins ago thanks calm heads up from ElD. Forgot it was one id picked out to do!!

I must have a look and see if I've GPS mapping from last year.

The swim is cracking from the second beach. Water was dead flat last year and any time I've swam up there it has been more swell than chop. Out the other side of the headlands, Mullaghmore and Strandhill directions there is more likely to be a severe chop. Mullaghmore last year made you sea sick just looking at it!

Cycle all depends on the wind. A few laps around Cregg, pretty fast and a nice long TT back to the Point.

Run was two laps through the village, nothing out of hand there either.

This is turning into a massive boards smack down.

• Advertisement

This is turning into a massive boards smack down.

Now, if anyone can drag Tunney out of the pale...

I've visions of JB having to drug him like Mr T to get him just to face West :D

Advertisement