Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosses Point NS Olympic race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Abhainn wrote: »
    Well feck you KG:)
    Thats the feet I was hoping to catch onto gone now.

I hope you'll let some of us try to jump on your feet Joe ;) You're swimming is coming on big style :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Kurt Godel wrote: »

(Entry is probably sold now, by the way)

Guy let me down, entry is still available, PM for details (apologies for the bump).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Guy let me down, entry is still available, PM for details (apologies for the bump).

Fingers crossed I'll have an entry to give away for this race as well.

BTH wrote: »
    Fingers crossed I'll have an entry to give away for this race as well.

Are you thinking of pulling out? Tonsils still not any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    Are you thinking of pulling out? Tonsils still not any better?

Not much improvement and I can't handle getting sick like this every few weeks so I'm waiting on a surgery date.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

BTH wrote: »
    Not much improvement and I can't handle getting sick like this every few weeks so I'm waiting on a surgery date.....

Have to get a surgery appointment now myself too :rolleyes: wisdom tooth is what is causing my latest woe. I'll try hold off until after HoTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Are race transfers definitely allowed? I emailed the club but haven't got a reply yet.
    Just after discovering I have a stress fracture on my ankle, just have to get an MRI to confirm. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Any update on transfers? I was just organising travel plans for the weekend and reminded by the missus of a family communion and 30th on the same day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Any update on transfers? I was just organising travel plans for the weekend and reminded by the missus of a family communion and 30th on the same day:(

You're going to have to be quick out of the water to get back in time ;)

I got no reply from Sligo Tri club so I also emailed Triathlon Ireland but haven't got a reply from them either. Disappointing as registration is closed & I'm sure there are a few out there looking for entries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 d.runs

Race transfers are allowed. Just e-mail details to secretary@sligotriathlon.ie or race director.

Anybody looking for a place?
    Got an email today saying there will be no transfers after Friday.

I also have a race entry going if someone is looking to do the race, €30.
    pm if interested.

Fair play to Sligo TC and their communication's person. Here is what I got in an e mail today:

Dear Competitor,

Please find below important information for the race you have entered into next weekend from Triathlon Ireland.

A note from the race director

We will be sending out a race briefing document on Sunday. The west coast of Ireland has been exposed to loads of sunshine recently. The water temperature is rapidly increasing. Luckily we have a couple of swim options. One of those will be to swim parallel to shore in relatively shallow water. We don't have to go into the dark murky deep water. The expected water temperature will be relatively warm 14 degrees in the shallows. The long range forecast is promising mid teens next week, therefore air temperature looks like its also improving. The event has an afternoon start due to spring tides and hopefully this will facilitate a bigger spectator attendance on the day.

We are trying to build a better atmosphere at the event for 2013. The event is a circuit style or bike laps and run laps. The race will pass the finishing area 6 times and the run is on fully closed roads. Therefore its the ideal race to bring the family and friends as they will get loads of opportunity to cheers you on and watch you suffer in the wind as the race unfolds. Please bring some supporters and arrive in plenty of time.

The entry list is still provisional and will be finalised on Sunday. There will be no transfers after Friday.

Regards

Damien

It is reassuring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Damien's a top bloke.

Nice to see a race director being pro active with communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

Just wondering if there are any entries available for transfer, would be interested in taking one.

PWEI or Jackyback have either of you offloaded your entries?

Thanks,
    Manone.

Manone wrote: »
    Just wondering if there are any entries available for transfer, would be interested in taking one.

PWEI or Jackyback have either of you offloaded your entries?

Thanks,
    Manone.

I still have one, pm me your details to sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

Thanks Jackyback - just sent a PM.

Sorry, I sold mine yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 d.runs

If anyone arranges a transfer just e-mail details of new entrant to secretary@sligotriathlon.ie or race director.

Hey guys,

Any Rosses Point Vets here? What is the course like? sometimes difficult to get a clear picture from the maps and elevation profiles.

The bike is 3 laps and the run is...deep breath...2 laps of the beach, run to the village green, run back to transition and run back to the village green! :cool: does that sound right?

Running on the beach can be difficult for some especially if you have had an Achilles problem recently, hopefully it is fairly compact.

Sounds like the run has changed so. There was no beach run last year.

The bike is rolling. I think it's a tougher bike than Kilkee if that's any help. Links to GC from last year below.

Bike from last year here
    Run from last year here

Hey guys,

Any Rosses Point Vets here? What is the course like? sometimes difficult to get a clear picture from the maps and elevation profiles.

The bike is 3 laps and the run is...deep breath...2 laps of the beach, run to the village green, run back to transition and run back to the village green! :cool: does that sound right?

Running on the beach can be difficult for some especially if you have had an Achilles problem recently, hopefully it is fairly compact.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Sounds like the run has changed so. There was no beach run last year.

The bike is rolling. I think it's a tougher bike than Kilkee if that's any help. Links to GC from last year below.

Bike from last year here
    Run from last year here

Swim is quite flat :rolleyes:

Bike is as P said and a lot depends on the wind on the day. Last year it was blowing out to sea so you could fly back in along the coast, tough at the turnabout into the wind and sheltered where the couple of technical bits are.

Run is going to be horrible on the beach. The ramp up from the 2nd beach is going to blow you me into the redline.
    2013_Oly_RunRoute.jpg

If its windy the beach will be nasty, surprisingly exposed and nice layer of low flying dry sand to amputate you around the ankles. Definitely a day for the calf guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Boardcore

Hey guys,

The Beach in Rosses Point is usually quite compact under foot. Entry (just after transistion) and exit(after approx 6km) to the "2nd Beach" is via a 70m slip road, which will prove quite a test on the run. The run over and back to the village green is too give you as much support as possible for the last few km's. Best of luck.

Is that 6km of beach running? If so, I wish we knew that in advance. I wouldn't have bothered signing up for a beach run that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

That sounds pretty horrendous alright!

From what I understand is you come out of transition same as last year except you go down to 2nd beach run a lap (2k approx) back up ramp, lap around by front of golf course, back to 2nd beach, run lap, back up to green / tennis courts, back to transition and back up to finish at or near Austies pub.

Lots of up and down with that horrible ramp to negotiate where it's particularly tight.

Don't know why route is changed, will be tricky up and down to beach. Sand is firm & flat at that area with no slope to worry about. Quite similar to running on a firm trail.

mmmm....interesting stuff, glad I asked now! Not that I will be piling on the pressure or anything! I had planned on going easy on the run, now I definitely will!

Still looking forward to racing once again and hoping it will re-ignite my competitive streak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Just one more day! Been excited about this all week. You cant beat pre-race jitters. Looking forward to feeling that butterfly in the stomach adrenaline in the morning but i need to keep a cap on it for now or i'll wear myself out! So who here is doing it - Pgibbo, AKW, ElD, Manone(?), Abhainn (?). Any others??

Advertisement