Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosses Point NS Olympic race

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bambaata wrote: »
    Just one more day! Been excited about this all week. You cant beat pre-race jitters. Looking forward to feeling that butterfly in the stomach adrenaline in the morning but i need to keep a cap on it for now or i'll wear myself out! So who here is doing it - Pgibbo, AKW, ElD, Manone(?), Abhainn (?). Any others??

I am out....stupid communions:( best of luck, rip it up. I will have to make do with a race next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Damn you Bambatta, the way you are feeling makes me jealous! However it is also inspiring, I want that feeling back! Needless to say not really looking forward to this but it's important to get my head back in the game. After a swim at the Bull Wall this morning I am concerned with the wind chill factor so I will prepare appropriately. The water was fine to be honest but I got very cold very quickly once I got out. Still I am glad to have fitted in one OW swim before tomorrow! Plan is, swim - do my best, bike- do my best, run - I really don't feel like hurting yet so keep it steady/comfortable for the first 7/8k and see then if I can do more.

What I am looking forward to is the race day/morning and meeting up with people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PGF

Looking forward to this also. 14-17 degrees with a chance of light rain in the afternoon according to Met Eireann. Will see how the legs hold up after Tri An Mhi last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Bambaata wrote: »
    Just one more day! Been excited about this all week. You cant beat pre-race jitters. Looking forward to feeling that butterfly in the stomach adrenaline in the morning but i need to keep a cap on it for now or i'll wear myself out! So who here is doing it - Pgibbo, AKW, ElD, Manone(?), Abhainn (?). Any others??

I haven't really got around to thinking about it yet!
    I was resigned to the fact I was out of this due to an in-law family death. Funeral delayed now it seems I'm back in.
    Though I have achilles trouble all week, may chance a run fitness test at lunch

Abhainn wrote: »
    Though I have achilles trouble all week.....

there seems to be a fair bit of beach running Abhainn....:( could do iit more harm than good.

Sorry to hear about your/your misses loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

I'm also a little bit worried about the chill factor on the bike.
    Are people wearing layers or just tri suit??

Looking forward to it with nervous butterflies :D

This morning after my swim I could not imagine a getting on a bike! But then again it was 8:30 and the 'real feel' was 3* degrees. Now tomorrow it will be after 1:30 when we are on the bike and with a light breeze and real feel of 10-13* promised - we should be okay. None the less I say come prepared. Ill have toe covers and arm warmers just in case.

*courtesy of AccuWeather

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Thanks!

I'm sure we won't be long warming up when the race mentality kicks in!
    Sun shining and bright blue skies in Dublin....hoping for the same in the west! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck tomorrow folks. See ye there! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck everyone. Very jealous here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Good luck to all.
    I hear this is a great race so hoping to read a race report or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

did a 2km swim on the beach this evening, water was choppy but temp was grand. wind's dropping for tomorrow which will make for a great swim and rest of it too. beautiful evening out there

results up on www.sligotriathlon.ie now

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

promethius wrote: »
    results up on www.sligotriathlon.ie now

Looked like a right hard slog. . Fair play to everyone who completed it. . Weather was fairly miserable during the cycle and run. . How did you find the beach??

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keelang

tough tough day in Rosses point, the beach run wasn't too bad but the hill coming up out of the beach was soul destroying! :(

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    Looked like a right hard slog. . Fair play to everyone who completed it. . Weather was fairly miserable during the cycle and run. . How did you find the beach??

i was marshalling so sat this one out. i run on that beach a lot and do strength work on the slipway, it's tough going no denying that :D

a tough day out with the weather and that for competitors but it's west coast so no big surprises either.

keelang wrote: »
    tough tough day in Rosses point, the beach run wasn't too bad but the hill coming up out of the beach was soul destroying! :(

i was on the slip for some of it, the difference in expressions on peoples faces going up vs down was very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I was at this, conditions were awful especially during the cycle. One lad fell off his bike at the turnaround cone, there was probably a few more who did also.
    Who was the Spanish guy who was first in to T1? I didn't see his name on the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keelang

he's at the very bottom, he was the first person home but I think he got Dq'd for crossing a continuous white line on the bike ...

he was disqualified for dangerous cycling by a TI motorcycle marshal, he finished way ahead of 2nd (not knowing he'd been dq'd) so must have been very disappointing for him.

• Advertisement

Hats off to Sligo Tri.Give yourself a clap on the back
    Very well run event- stewart's, volunteers and support, etc

Pity about the conditions, I never warmed up on the bike. My bike legs never got going from that rain and cold and my feet were like ice blocks heading into the run. The bumpy road surface added to my poor pace pace but thankfully all pot holes were filled.
    The run was a nice tester including the beach section. I see from the results a few may have not done the 1/2 last lap

Good to meet fellow boardsies, pgibbo, Bambaata & El Director. Well done chaps

I really enjoyed this event again this year. I preferred last years run course as I struggled to get going on the beach.

Very well marshaled and organised. Lots of support at the turnaround too given the very wet conditions.

The roads were lethal on the last lap of the bike and I locked up and lost it on the last 90 degree turn before heading back to Rosses. First time riding carbon rims in the wet. They are crap!!!!

Great meeting some new and familiar boardsies too - Abhainn, Bambaata, El D & AKW. Nice AG win by Ed too :cool:

Well done Sligo Tri Club. Great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Abhainn, I missed you in transition. I was chatting with Bambatta while you were chatting to another person and just missed introducing myself.

Well done to all, was a good day out and glad we missed the worst of the weather.

Nice to see they over compensated on the swim to make up for previous events this year ;)

Nice to see the swimmers get a bit of favouritism for a change! :D

Great race (pity the showers were cold though!). What distance was the swim in the end? Times are a lot slower than expected.

PGF wrote: »
    Great race (pity the showers were cold though!). What distance was the swim in the end? Times are a lot slower than expected.

Showers were cold but warmer than the sea ;)

I saw 2 watches and 1 had 1.8k the other 1.75km clocked for the swim.

The chicken curry and cakes were lovely after the cold shower :cool:

Chicken curry hit the spot alright. :)

Abhainn, I missed you in transition. I was chatting with Bambatta while you were chatting to another person and just missed introducing myself.

That was a pity AKW.

Swim - For once well I found it more enjoyable and stronger as it went on.

Advertisement