Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the XPeria Play still worth getting, seeing as Sony have stopped supporting it ?.

Options
  • 13-02-2013 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

This phone seems to have everything I want,

A reasonably fast processor,
    A decent amount of internal memory,
    A decent camera with auto focus and flash,
    Can shoot video in 854x480
    Actual tactile buttons for games (no other phone has this),

Only problem is, I heard Sony stopped supporting it due to poor sales, and it cant be upgraded past v2.3.4 Gingerbread. I heard they were planning on supporting ICE Cream Sandwich, and there was even an official Beta rom that worked almost perfectly but was officially ditched in the end.

Its only available Sim Free from Amazon at the moment for £160, is it still worth getting seeing as without rooting it, your gonna be stuck on Gingerbread ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's a grand phone, if you want it mainly for games. Like you said, it's the only one with a keypad. I do think that you're probably going to have to root it and load an unofficial rom at some stage as more and more apps require ICS. Personally, I wouldn't go anything below 4.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 basemann

Hi, I have one and like it a lot. I don't care that the android version is not that latest as it still does what I want ie take pics, calls, text, apps AND PLAY GAMES! ICS made it buggy and slow but honestly do you need it? The play controls are great and the main thing for me was to play old arcade games like MAME and snes for free and endless titles free. As a kid playing Galaxians in an arcade it is weird and joyful to have an extire arcade in my pocket. I would think that it will become almost a classic and collectable in time. Camera and video are not bad but won't win awards. The Xperia play is being sold off new cheaply in places so if you like gaming and not a fone freak I'd say get one.

Advertisement