Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan Town Park

Options
  • 13-02-2013 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any information on when the new Town Park in Navan is opening, it looks like its really close to being finished, gates are up now and road finishes appear to be to complete.

I know it was delayed last year due to archaeological and flora finds, but it was then supposed to open in October.

Twice last year i asked the council about the park, what facilities would be available when it opened but never got a reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jack Kiernan

Where is it suppose to be going??

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Its on the Ratholdren Road.

http://goo.gl/maps/8h2ZK

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Its already open

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcfI_LnsLAx47QuJ46M4snQryA0KE2jYVbjdMkFQTQrywiWBnl-g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Furp wrote: »
    Its on the Windtown Road.

http://goo.gl/maps/8h2ZK

As it should be known ;)

dgt wrote: »
    As it should be known ;)

I was thinking that and wondering why the name did not sound familar, even after 10 years in Navan I should have known this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's not that long ago that Windtown wasn't part of Navan lol.

looks fantastic

Drove past it yesterday, if the gates are anything to go by it'll be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

where is it and ....i hope the junkies stay away !!!

Vego wrote: »
    where is it and ....i hope the junkies stay away !!!

On the Wintown road, as you go past Silverlawns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

....i hope the junkies stay away !!!

"New town park you say?" :D

chav+man.jpg

I had a look round on Friday as the gates were open and a few people were walking in, its big goes as far back as the blackwater river, and still has a good way to go before being finished, I suppose the gross earthworks are done and a path has been laid, but its very open with mostly mucky fields, two of which have been recently grassed.

here a pic of the gates in:
    g12GW0sl.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I've seen whole estates built quicker.

I've seen whole estates built quicker.

I'd very much doubt you'll see that these days ;)

I just hope that its safe!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I must have a gander at that later....!

I just hope that its safe!!

? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Big job getting all of the cables buried underground on such a large site, the TC were dependant on ESB and Eircom coming in and doing that part. I hope that there is a playground, and that the pedestrian access bridge from my part of town over the Blackwater from the Kells Road. I can't find the layout of it anywhere other than a tiny image on the meathcoco website -

http://www.meath.ie/CountyCouncil/MajorProjects/NavanTownPark/

I can't make out anything on that, but I presume that there will be playing fields, etc on this 66-acre site....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Has anybody been in it yet? Is it suitable for walking the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 acia

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Has anybody been in it yet? Is it suitable for walking the dog?
    I went for a walk the other day there is a long path that circles the park , majority of park is still like waste land with one area of laid grass. There were lots of people walking dogs while we were there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

bladespin wrote: »
    ? :confused:

I would imagine he meant safe from scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

It seems they've spent a bluddy fortune on the place. The gates alone have to be worth over €40k. Special resin used to hold tiny brown stones covers the footpath. Cobbles laid outside of special kerbing for drainage, near perfect playing fields, the list goes on.....

It's a not a park but a sink hole for cash. Seriously, if anyone lets a dog near the place without a pooper-scooper they should be fined.

yep, its criminal they have been allowed to waste so much money on what should just be a bit of grass with a path around it and a few swings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Well i for one welcome it opening... gods knows the council has spent very little money on amenities, parks and play areas in Meath but especially in Navan.

The only thing i have seen the council spending money on in the recent years is grit for the roads, pothole filling (rarely though!), traffic lights upon traffic lights and expensive statues (the bulls arse in the square comes to mind).

This was needed and it will be great too when they complete the bridge across the blackwater to the town.

The park is miles from where i live, but i will be using it as often as i can with the kids.

This was badly needed. The ramparts is pure muddy lately and with kids in tow... i never found it safe for walking due to the narrow banks.

Access wrote: »
    Well i for one welcome it opening... gods knows the council has spent very little money on amenities, parks and play areas in Meath but especially in Navan.

The only thing i have seen the council spending money on in the recent years is grit for the roads, pothole filling (rarely though!), traffic lights upon traffic lights and expensive statues (the bulls arse in the square comes to mind).

This was needed and it will be great too when they complete the bridge across the blackwater to the town.

The park is miles from where i live, but i will be using it as often as i can with the kids.

This was badly needed. The ramparts is pure muddy lately and with kids in tow... i never found it safe for walking due to the narrow banks.

thats the thing, for that money we could have had 2 very good parks at both ends of the town and still had money left over to resurface the trim road!

and still had money left over to resurface the trim road!

They wouldn't have been allowed spend the money on the road, that's a different budget, anyway the Trim road hardly needs to be resurfaced and they have spent quite a bit on the new layout at Beechmount.

It's about time we had something to be proud of, much better to have a proper showpiece than a couple of piddly greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

They wouldn't have been allowed spend the money on the road, that's a different budget, anyway the Trim road hardly needs to be resurfaced and they have spent quite a bit on the new layout at Beechmount.

It's about time we had something to be proud of, much better to have a proper showpiece than a couple of piddly greens.

A nice park area was needed in the town hope they put in swings etc for the kids etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Drove by it today. The main gate wasn't open but the side gate was. No where to park so didn't go in.

3 million for a bit of grass and some swings is taking the piss though

and 2008??

"€750,000 of the funding for this park was secured in July 2008"

Something to be proud of and people unemployed and new taxes coming in is a bit appropriate dont you think?

• Advertisement

A nice park area was needed in the town hope they put in swings etc for the kids etc

The New Park proposed for Navan, County Meath will be situated on a 28 hectare (66 acre) site at Abbeylands, Navan between the Windtown Road and the River Blackwater.
    Sports and Children's Facilities

The various elements to the park are arranged around a central open space that will be suitable for different events. A wide range of sports will be catered for with:
    • an all weather multi-use games area,
    • bowling green,
    • skate-park and
    • informal kick-about areas.
    There will also be a top quality play area and maze catering for children of all ages and abilities.

http://www.meath.ie/CountyCouncil/MajorProjects/NavanTownPark/

Advertisement