Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan Town Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Well Im all for it ...as the facilities for familys/youth in the town are piss poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

3 million for a bit of grass and some swings is taking the piss though

and 2008??

"€750,000 of the funding for this park was secured in July 2008"

Something to be proud of and people unemployed and new taxes coming in is a bit appropriate dont you think?

I agree that it is expensive... but what would be the point in scraping the project after that point in time? But it is a badly needed amenity in Navan.

There is not one place i can bring my kids and go and have a picnic on a summers day (if we ever get any warm summers days this year) in navan - correct me if im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Access wrote: »
    I agree that it is expensive... but what would be the point in scraping the project after that point in time? But it is a badly needed amenity in Navan.

There is not one place i can bring my kids and go and have a picnic on a summers day (if we ever get any warm summers days this year) in navan - correct me if im wrong.

I agree but there are a couple of places that might fit the bill, the rapmarts are ok (much better and cleaner these days), there's also the small park by Rivermill and I always loved Dealgan park though it is a bit further out.

dalgan park is great for walking ...you are however not allowed to have a pick nick or play on the grass as its a working farm

Vego wrote: »
    dalgan park is great for walking ...you are however not allowed to have a pick nick or play on the grass as its a working farm

We've often had food on the green around the carpark, no-one ever mentioned anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Access wrote: »

Oh I agree. Totally needed. Just staggered at the cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Yeah the cost really is madness, but are we surprised, no doubt we will end up footing the bill when they raise the property tax an extra 15% :mad:

Ah fair enough... thought you were looking for them to scrap it.

On the ramparts... would anyone here have a picnic or kick a ball about there? - didnt think so! :D

The rivermill playground is good... nice little playground there

And Dalgan... i love what they have done with the long walks and i understand that it is private but public accessible land, but having an electric fence running along the path side is nuts to me... especially when you have young kids who always run ahead of you!

So many bloody rules when you get there... no picnics, no bikes, no scooters, no ball games, no dogs, no laughing, no talking, no breathing... the list goes on!

One of the retired missionary priests gave out hell to me one saturday morning cause i had let my three year old son pedal his tricycle (a small one) along the path in front of me... "He might knock someone down" he told me.

There was not another person around to be seen! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

The Town badly needs it and I have no problem with the cost. But curious that all the work vans I see there are UK registered vehicles. Which makes me wonder if the contract work was outsource to a UK contractor? Which, if so, would seem mad with all the local unemployment.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    The Town badly needs it and I have no problem with the cost. But curious that all the work vans I see there are UK registered vehicles. Which makes me wonder if the contract work was outsource to a UK contractor? Which, if so, would seem mad with all the local unemployment.

Doubt the council can just give out jobs to their unemployed local buddies, but I am sure it does happen, more than likely they had to go through a proper Procuremet process.

• Advertisement

Howjoe1 wrote: »

Everything must go out to tender, after that it's completely down to whoever gives the best price/quality combination, there's still good reason why you see many UK companies winning tenders here.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Correct the project was tendered as per EU Law, and A Northern Irish firm won the contract, not sure of the basis but assume it was price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jack Kiernan

Looks like the town park is proving popular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Looks like the town park is proving popular

Is it open yet? Where can I park so I can walk around it?

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Is it open yet? Where can I park so I can walk around it?

I don't think the main gate is open to park inside but you can walk in. Plenty of people appear to be parking right outside and then you get the usual dopes parking on the sidewalk on the opposite side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

dgt wrote: »
    As it should be known ;)

Its actually on the Ratholdren road..

bryaner wrote: »

True enough, the Windtown road doesn't start until after the railway crossing IIRC

Its still slowly coming along... they seem to have planted a few hedge rows in there this week... cant understand why they wont just leave the gates open for people to park in the car park in there.

Many a muppet parking up on the paths outside the gates lately... one actually blocked the esb yard entrance much to the annoyance of two workers during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

bryaner wrote: »
    bladespin wrote: »
    True enough, the Windtown road doesn't start until after the railway crossing IIRC

To a stick in the mud like myself, it will always be the Windtown road to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

estates been built these days?, better chance of finding a virgin in a maternity ward..

Those gates look good though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

dgt wrote: »
    To a stick in the mud like myself, it will always be the Windtown road to me :)

Yeah I've always known it as the Windtown road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Every day is a school day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

For those that missed it!

Navan’s new 68 acre park, Páirc na hAbhann Duibhe - Blackwater Park, was officially opened today by the Mayor of Navan, Cllr Caoimhe Ní Shluain, in the presence of acting County Manager, Brendan McGrath.
    A huge crowd of Navan residents, schoolchildren and public representatives attended the colourful event which included a stilt walker, balloon modelling and bouncy castle for the children and refreshments for adults and children.
    Pupils from Navan’s 12 primary schools attended and planted a tree representing each of their schools on the entrance to the new municipal facility, which is located north of the town along the Windtown Road.
    “They said this day would never come, that we had set out sights too high, but today is a day we can all be proud of ,” said Cllr Ni Schluain.
    She said the park had a wonderful setting sloping down towards the Blackwater.
    “It is a safe , exciting, stimulating park for everyone,” she said.
    Mr McGrath said it was an auspicious day for all of Meath and commented on the amount of people who have already been using the facility.
    “It was wonderful to see people going round it, even in the dark of winter,” he said.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2013/04/19/4015421-navans-new-park-officially-opened/

But its still a building site ? Or are the play areas complete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Vego wrote: »
    But its still a building site ? Or are the play areas complete
    Was in it yesterday and it is still the same. Car park is good and the path all the way around is good. The grass pitches are coming along but slowly due to winter only just finishing!
    There's still a big mound in the middle that would be deadly if you were Tony Hawk but otherwise is only good for breaking up the view. Overall, quite barren and windswept but looks promising.
    There was a sign along the path that had its glass smashed by a convenient rock. Doesn't bode well and i hope the Gardai are aware of local scumbags wrecking the place so soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

For those that missed it!

Navan’s new 68 acre park, Páirc na hAbhann Duibhe - Blackwater Park, was officially opened today by the Mayor of Navan, Cllr Caoimhe Ní Shluain, in the presence of acting County Manager, Brendan McGrath.
    A huge crowd of Navan residents, schoolchildren and public representatives attended the colourful event which included a stilt walker, balloon modelling and bouncy castle for the children and refreshments for adults and children.
    Pupils from Navan’s 12 primary schools attended and planted a tree representing each of their schools on the entrance to the new municipal facility, which is located north of the town along the Windtown Road.
    “They said this day would never come, that we had set out sights too high, but today is a day we can all be proud of ,” said Cllr Ni Schluain.
    She said the park had a wonderful setting sloping down towards the Blackwater.
    “It is a safe , exciting, stimulating park for everyone,” she said.
    Mr McGrath said it was an auspicious day for all of Meath and commented on the amount of people who have already been using the facility.
    “It was wonderful to see people going round it, even in the dark of winter,” he said.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2013/04/19/4015421-navans-new-park-officially-opened/

Navan has 12 primary schools? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

and seemly a waiting list

kc66 wrote: »
    Navan has 12 primary schools? :eek:

Yes, why so surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

bladespin wrote: »
    Yes, why so surprised?

Seems a lot. Is that in the town or including nearby rural schools? I would have thought maybe 12 incl 2nd level. Probably wouldn't have even guessed that many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

12 primary schools is correct. 2 of the schools are Special schools, St Mary's Johnstown & St Ultans Flowerhill, the other 10 are mainstream, stretching from Scoil Naomh Eoin in Windtown, to St Stephens in Johnstown. The one "rural" school in the parish is Cannistown NS....

Advertisement