Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HR query re office belcher

Options
  • 13-02-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Help! I need HR advise.

I have been allocated a new office assistant. The problem is that he frequently belches and it is making me feel sick. Most of the time he shares an office with me separated only by a small screen divider and sometimes I can actually smell what he has eaten. He is very well mannered in all other ways and not someone who one would expect to be so uncouth. I really want to say something to him or offer him an over the counter remedy for belching from the chemist but am worried if this could be classed as some sort of bullying.
    Any advice from HR?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I used to work in the same open plan office as a guy who used to belch 5 or 6 times a day as well. He sat a bit away from me and I often had earphones in so it didn't really bother me much.

He was there before i was, so I asked a few in the office had nobody ever brought it up with HR or mentioned it to him.

Their reply was it was acceptable as part of his culture (he was from India or Sri Lanka I think) so there wasn't much they could about it. I didn't ask any more as it didn't really bother me too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I certainly cannot wear earphones. This guy is Irish and my first instinct was that he just didn't know or care that he was doing it. However, I am worried in case it is due to a medical problem - ie maybe he has had his gall bladder removed or something and therefore could have a bullying case. Also, if it was me doing something inappropriate, I would rather the offended person said something directly to me than discussed it with others. If I go to HR, he may feel bad about being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Patrick 1

Have you ever tried simply asking him? It may be something he has no problem adjusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

annascott wrote: »
    Also, if it was me doing something inappropriate, I would rather the offended person said something directly to me than discussed it with others.

Slightly hypocritical here I reckon, you're doing the exact opposite of what you would prefer someone to do. Say something to him directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

You can hardly be accused of bullying if you handle it in a sympathetic and reasonable manner. Bringing it up in a non-confrontational way wouldn't be construed as bullying, so unless you are planning on saying ''ere mate, yer breath stinks and all yer belching makes me wanna vomit. Sort it out' and then throwing a pack of colpermin at him, I reckon you should be ok!

Next time you are having a one-to-one, or a coffee or something, broach the subject tactfully. Mention that it is a bit of an awkward topic to raise, and that you mean no offence, but that there is a minor issue, i.e. the belching. And then take it from there. If there is a medical reason why, then it might be something you need to be aware of anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Thank everyone. Really not looking forward to this but I suppose I will have to diplomatically say something. I was really worried in case he could report me for embarrasing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

he can only report you for it if you go out of your way to embarrass him. It all comes down to how you approach it - be diplomatic, sensitive and tactful and you should be ok.

Advertisement