Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membership with Academy of Medical Labratory Science?

Options
  • 13-02-2013 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to gain membership with the AMLS without having qualified from DIT/Kevin Street, UCC OR GMIT?

My course is BSc. Hons in Medical Biotechnology from Sligo IT (4 years) but they don't seem to accept that and I want the option to be able to work in a public hospital.

Any advice? I have contacted them directly but I am still awaiting a response.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Write them a letter, but their membership rules are pretty clear and have been for years.
    If you have equivalent training in another country you can often gain membership that way. Chances are you'll have to do further study on an accredited course and obtain the required work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

You would need to have your primary qualification evaluated by the AMLS, then complete any deficiencies that they identify, then get a training logbook and complete it in an accredited (ISO15189 or CPA) lab (you would have to find this placement yourself), then do an interview/oral exam. All of this is included in the approved courses, that's why they are approved.
    http://www.amls.ie/system/files/attachments/page/2/form_2_eligibility_-_introduction.doc

As i said in the other thread: This was only designed/invented about a decade ago when there weren't enough graduates from approved courses to fill the posts. That situation has completely reversed now.

EDIT: what about working in a public hospital attracts you? Have you toured a medical laboratory? Have you studied much pathology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

You would need to have your primary qualification evaluated by the AMLS, then complete any deficiencies that they identify, then get a training logbook and complete it in an accredited (ISO15189 or CPA) lab (you would have to find this placement yourself), then do an interview/oral exam. All of this is included in the approved courses, that's why they are approved.
    http://www.amls.ie/system/files/attachments/page/2/form_2_eligibility_-_introduction.doc

As i said in the other thread: This was only designed/invented about a decade ago when there weren't enough graduates from approved courses to fill the posts. That situation has completely reversed now.

EDIT: what about working in a public hospital attracts you? Have you toured a medical laboratory? Have you studied much pathology?

Thanks for replying to both my posts Dingle-berry. I have left an answer and course information on the other thread - biomedical science if you wouldn't mind taking a look if you get a chance.

Have answered in other thread. For anyone else interested the AMLS released the new guidelines today. They can be found here: http://www.amls.ie/system/files/attachments/news/399/pathwaystomembershipoftheacademyofmedicallaboratoryscience2013.pdf

A brief description of what a medical scientist does can be found here: http://mlsa.ie/careerinmedicalscience.html

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭paul4green

I know DIT offer CPD courses in the major disciplines of med lab such as medical micro, clin chem, haematology, transfusion and cell path.
    These are recognised by the AMLS too. I don't know where placement would fall in around this though to be honest.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

I don't think the CPD course in DIT is aimed at people looking to convert their qualification. It offers modules on specific didciplines alone, unlike the course below. This course is http://study.ulster.ac.uk/prospectus/course/201314/10613 and it seems to be mostly distance learning BUT is only aimed at HPC/IBMS registration, not AMLS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

CPD modules would be aimed at people who are working in med lab. (CPD being continuous professional development). They're more advanced modules and wouldn't be suitable for someone without a background in the relevant area.

Tree wrote: »
    CPD modules would be aimed at people who are working in med lab. (CPD being continuous professional development). They're more advanced modules and wouldn't be suitable for someone without a background in the relevant area.
    Actually I've heard/read that the CPD course is essentially just the undergrad final year modules. And people doing the taught MSc who did the undergrad in DIT say the optional/discipline specific modules are almost identical to the final year modules. The University of Ulster graduate diploma is different in that its targeted at people with honours science degrees looking to convert or top up their education.

Actually I've heard/read that the CPD course is essentially just the undergrad final year modules. And people doing the taught MSc who did the undergrad in DIT say the optional/discipline specific modules are almost identical to the final year modules. The University of Ulster graduate diploma is different in that its targeted at people with honours science degrees looking to convert or top up their education.

Indeed, but I wouldn't expect someone to be able to do the final year modules in DIT without having done some of the foundation work for them (either as modules earlier in the degree or a version of the module specifically targetted at people w/o a background in it) as a lot of prior-knowledge assumptions are made during the teaching of those modules.

Advertisement