Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a new Phoneline

Options
  • 13-02-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I moved into my new house over a year ago but never got a landline installed. The electrician left it set up to be connected but I've been using mobile broadband so far.

Is there a fee to set up a new land line in the house?

Is there anywhere I can check the expected speeds for an area and where the exchanges are located so I can see how far away I am?

Thanks

EDIT - Just found this link I'm 18.7km from the carrick exchange according to the ngn-access map.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

paulztag wrote: »
    I moved into my new house over a year ago but never got a landline installed. The electrician left it set up to be connected but I've been using mobile broadband so far.

Is there a fee to set up a new land line in the house?

Is there anywhere I can check the expected speeds for an area and where the exchanges are located so I can see how far away I am?

Thanks

EDIT - Just found this link I'm 18.7km from the carrick exchange according to the ngn-access map.
    Hi paulztag

Currently we have an offer available where it is free of charge to have a phone line installed / reconnected. If there's a phone socket at your address can you clip a phone/handset into the socket and dial 199000. This should call back a number to you, once you have this number PM it to me and I will run some tests on this line for you. Once there is a dial tone sound from the phone socket it will take 24 - 48 working hours to activate the phone line

If there is no dial tone from the socket this would require a full installation. When you place an order our engineer will call out and do what's called a site survey. Once this is completed they will then inform you of the work that needs to be carried out. This can take between 5-10 working days. If you wish to place an order to have a phone line installed you can do so by calling our sales team on free phone 1800 242 633.

Regards
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paulztag

Hi paulztag

Currently we have an offer available where it is free of charge to have a phone line installed / reconnected. If there's a phone socket at your address can you clip a phone/handset into the socket and dial 199000. This should call back a number to you, once you have this number PM it to me and I will run some tests on this line for you. Once there is a dial tone sound from the phone socket it will take 24 - 48 working hours to activate the phone line

If there is no dial tone from the socket this would require a full installation. When you place an order our engineer will call out and do what's called a site survey. Once this is completed they will then inform you of the work that needs to be carried out. This can take between 5-10 working days. If you wish to place an order to have a phone line installed you can do so by calling our sales team on free phone 1800 242 633.

Regards
    Linda

Thanks, I'll check when I get home from work. I doubt there will be any tone as the only thing that was done was the electrician left the wires set up in the wall. 

I'll PM you a number of a premises that is 100 yards from me if you can run the tests on it.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

paulztag wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll check when I get home from work. I doubt there will be any tone as the only thing that was done was the electrician left the wires set up in the wall. 

I'll PM you a number of a premises that is 100 yards from me if you can run the tests on it.

Thanks
    Hi paulztag

No worries at all,  if broadband is available in this area each line will need to be tested individually as broadband is not a guaranteed services.

Regards
    Linda

Advertisement