Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing apartments for let (is this normal)

Options
  • 13-02-2013 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

So starting the hunt for my first apartment, not much available in the Tallaght, citywest area for €900 that is nice and in alright area. I have gone to view 2 places already, photos looked alright not show room quality but very liveable. Went to view them and they different number then advertised and apartments are complete kips. Got Shepard in and out as quick through one of them as tenant was there and we couldn't see bedroom as it was locked.

Is this what normally happens or have I to unlucky, should I be looking beyond the dirt or for €900 should I be expecting clean standards. Also would I be within my rights to ask for new matteress for the bed. As I would be putting my 3 year old on them and would be little worried as you never no what old be under there.

I'm not a clean OCD person but I do like clean surfaces and floors that aren't sticky. I don't mind cluttered though as I no that will be gone. Just disappointed as its so hard to get viewings with the amount of estate agents not answering phones or returning calls and emails.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Sounds to me like you've just gotten unlucky so far!

I'd advise you to put up an ad on the tenant database on Daft, if you haven't done so already. You'll get some owners e-mailing people there directly, without even having the place advertised.

When arranging to view a property, ask how recently the photos were taken. If you show up and the photos are inaccurate or from a different apartment, make sure to take note of the agent, and don't deal with them again.

Again, if agents aren't returning calls or e-mails, if I were you I'd avoid any of their properties. If they're like this when you're looking to view a place, can you imagine what they'd be like if you'd any problems after moving in!!

I'd be very reluctant to view an apartment with the previous tenants still living there. Or, if you do view one and you're interested, I still wouldn't commit until you've viewed it again after the previous tenants have moved out.

Don't rule out places with no photos, or that don't look great in the photos. In my own experience, if the place seems to fit what you're looking for, it's worth a phonecall to get more information. It may seem like a waste of time - but you might just happen upon a great place, with very little competition from other potential tenants because of the lack of photos.

Re. new mattresses - they're not obliged to provide them, but it's definitely worth asking.

I would definitely expect the place to be cleaned thoroughly before you move in, and you should confirm this with the landlord/agent (especially if it's visibly dirty!) To be honest I'd be very wary of moving into a place, where it wasn't cleaned in preparation for viewings.

Best of luck with the search!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Try Alexander House, they have decent places come up in your price range reasonably often over the year. There are two agents looking after it Hooke and Mac Donald and Savilles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

900 is really our max and Alexandra house I think you have to pay for parking and we have two cars so would be bringing up price. I'll ring to double check though.

Thanks atheists I've taken all that on board and just put up add in tenants database. I never noticed that on daft hopefully get some results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Oh also - set €1,000 as your max in searches, instead of €900 - there may be some advertisers who will be open to negotiation on price. No harm asking anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bulmersgal wrote: »
    900 is really our max and Alexandra house I think you have to pay for parking and we have two cars so would be bringing up price. I'll ring to double check though.

Thanks atheists I've taken all that on board and just put up add in tenants database. I never noticed that on daft hopefully get some results.

This is true you do have paid parking. Do you need both cars all the time. option is to buy 1 monthly ticket and use that for 1 car leave the other parked.

Anyway its very secure has 24 hr security. Id give it some consideration.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    This is true you do have paid parking. Do you need both cars all the time. option is to buy 1 monthly ticket and use that for 1 car leave the other parked.

Anyway its very secure has 24 hr security. Id give it some consideration.

We both go in different directions and Lucas doesn't go near where we go. They look nice but I think it's 975 so we'd have no money for holidays etc and to save for our own place.

Thanks for help though

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭stedabee

You should definitely be getting a good one bed and a ok 2 bed for that in tallaght! Some landlords that have been in the game a long time will not give any extras like microwave, hover, washing machine etc but if your interested they should get a new matress. I recently purchased a new table balcony bamboo blocker and a microwave for my tenants when they asked so make sure there nice before you sign anything. Loads of nice tenants out there that are willing to help mothers with young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Isn't a microwave and washing facilities required by law? Don't touch a landlord that wont give you those.

So went to view 2 more.

1 I got text MSG from estate agent saying place I enquired about was gone but he had another place. So went up to view it along with 6 other people stood outside in the rain for 20 minutes while he didn't show up.

The other estate agent wanted 950 for place even though advertised for 900. Again tenant moving out 2mo, place available 2mo but it was filthy.

So dishearting

Advertisement